Will Sony end the A7S line?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

a7s-DSC02104.jpg

NAB and IBC have been and gone. No A7S III. In Sony's most recent marketing presentations, they outline a three-pronged strategy for cameras - "Basic", "Resolution" and "Speed". This is a change from the previous strategy of "Basic", "Resolution" and "Low Light + Video" and with the A7 III having such good low light and video capabilities, will Sony bother with an A7S III?

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Give me a 24mpx sensor with 4K60P no crop / FHD slow mo with better quality than A7III and that is an instant buy for me. Rumors suggest Panasonic will still keep DFD on the GH5 FF so fuck them with their 10-y old technology, this pisses me off so much. 

Other nice to have:  
Venice color science / 10 bit / RAW / full flip screen. 

For the body size ergonomics I found the solution. Just get the Sony grip extender and buy a long screw. You can put your favorite tripod mount under it and use the long screw to screw both the mount and grip extension on it. As for changing battery just use USB charging. A7III battery lasts so long it's impressive, and I prefer to bring a power bank anyway. 

Well sony is already the under dog. Is the 10bit on a7sIII witch will be at +3K$ too little too late?  Canon ,Nikon Fuji, Panasonic already has 10bit internal or external under and +2K$. I wont be buying a7s mk III IF it dont have at least external 4K 60p 12bit RAW at +3K$: No way it will have it, i doubt it'll have even internal 10bit cos of FS5 mk II fail..

I just now am renting an A7III and I think it has issues, 4K25 and 4K30 cropping is a shame. I can't figure out how to tap on faces and things to lock Sony's autofocus continuous tracking onto them. Is that not possible? I couldn't possibly buy an A7III is it forces me to only film in 4K24 un-cropped or if it doesn't let me just simply tap on faces and things to lock the autofocus onto. The autofocus looks great but I need tap and track! I also think 2018 cameras should provide H265 encoding options at a lower bitrate to save on bitrate (yet keep the same quality) when uploading 4K to YouTube. 5 years ago Samsung was able to do some 4K30 in H265 so why can't the much newer Sony cameras do it? And to me the menus are just very confusing. The IBIS is not very usable for anything with someone walking, I want better IBIS and I don't care if that means they have to make the camera slightly larger. Gmaster Lenses (I am trying out the 16-35mm) are way too expensive.

Panasonic would be in absolute HEAVEN if Sony backed away from an A7S-II sucessor! I suspect that the rumors about an A7S-III being fully R&D finished and waiting to go into production could now we completely turned upside down this month. I suspect that Sony said "Crap....look at our competition!...we need to go back to R&D and cripple the A7S-III less now!) Sony doesnt want to stop their E Mount system development. They have good momentum and they KNOW they must push as hard as they can in the next 12 months. I dont think they want to help Panasonic by blocking the A7S-III...even if it means hurting the FS5.

4 hours ago, Charbax said:

I just now am renting an A7III and I think it has issues, 4K25 and 4K30 cropping is a shame. I can't figure out how to tap on faces and things to lock Sony's autofocus continuous tracking onto them. Is that not possible? I couldn't possibly buy an A7III is it forces me to only film in 4K24 un-cropped or if it doesn't let me just simply tap on faces and things to lock the autofocus onto. The autofocus looks great but I need tap and track! I also think 2018 cameras should provide H265 encoding options at a lower bitrate to save on bitrate (yet keep the same quality) when uploading 4K to YouTube. 5 years ago Samsung was able to do some 4K30 in H265 so why can't the much newer Sony cameras do it? And to me the menus are just very confusing. The IBIS is not very usable for anything with someone walking, I want better IBIS and I don't care if that means they have to make the camera slightly larger. Gmaster Lenses (I am trying out the 16-35mm) are way too expensive.

I get the impression you don't like it LoL. Hmm.

You put the question will the "A7sIII" effect the FS5? Yes a small part of the market, but for pro shooters the fact you only have 29min record time on a camera makes it's use limited. I have a FS7 and 2 Canon 1DxmkII.

Maybe Sony will go for the pro market with a A9II low light, 10bit, 422 etc... spec which they can charge a pro price tag then it would be a choice of A9II - FS5 which would be similar price and compromise the line.  Hope this makes sense.

It is the million dollar question: what can they do with the A7Siii that can truly differentiate it from the A7iii? I really am having doubts about whether they can do internal 60p without overheating. 

I think for many people the A7iii, if it'd been branded the A7Siii, would've been an acceptable step in the camera's progression. I know a few people who sold their A7Sii's and got the A7iii. 

It'll be interesting, whatever they do. 

12 hours ago, ianhodgson123 said:

You put the question will the "A7sIII" effect the FS5? Yes a small part of the market, but for pro shooters the fact you only have 29min record time on a camera makes it's use limited. 

Sony themselves have already stated that they estimate that the A7 line cannibalise around 30% of their FS-series cameras. And no wonder if they bring out silly updates like the FS5mkII. They need to start to bring some of the innovations of the A7-line to the FS-line!

My dream camera is an A7SIII in an FS5 body. Now with the Ninja V, I don’t even care if it does 10bit internally. Just give me a video camera body with ibis and the improved AF and full frame... (along with what the FS5 already have). I’d easily pay €7-8000 for that!

1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

It is the million dollar question: what can they do with the A7Siii that can truly differentiate it from the A7iii? I really am having doubts about whether they can do internal 60p without overheating. 

I think for many people the A7iii, if it'd been branded the A7Siii, would've been an acceptable step in the camera's progression. I know a few people who sold their A7Sii's and got the A7iii. 

It'll be interesting, whatever they do. 

Sold my a7s2 for the a73, I wouldn't touch the a7s3 unless Sony bumps the MP so FF 4k is oversampled, offers 10-bit and 4k60p internal and a hybrid AF system. I have doubts about Sony's willingness to encroach on the FS5 with an Alpha camera, I just don't think they do it. The whole SAR narrative about "Sony has the a7s3 ready and is watching the competition before releasing" is so silly, the admin makes himself look like more of a blind fanboy every time he posts that nonsense.

Chris

On 9/14/2018 at 10:23 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Strange! 4k 25p isn't cropped on mine. I thought it's just the 30p?

Maybe I didn't check it carefully enough. Are you sure the 4K25 isn't cropped? That would be good for me as my video editor (wevideo.com) only supports 4K25 without audio sync issue. I will definitely check and confirm if the 4K25 is not cropped then I will be filming in that all my 100+ videos with it in the 2 weeks to come.

I’d like to see them reduce the number of steps it takes to custom white balance. As of now, you’ve got to depress a fn button, scroll down through custom 2, custom 3 then set, depress, point at wb card, depress again, then choose where to save - as many as seven steps if you’ve saved your setting to C1 (fewer if you’ve saved to C3). 

I’d also like to see Sony add tap to focus on the playmemories app, as well as zebras.