SD Cards for GH5 - 2 x 128GB or 1 x 256GB?

j169

I need some fast cards for 400mbps and the choice is two 128GB cards or one 256GB card (FreeTail Evoke Pro 1000x).

Not sure which to go for? The benefit of 256GB is I can always add another in time. But downside is more chance of losing data etc.

Any thoughts? Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks, pretty much agree with my views - BUT... the 128GB FreeTail isn't available anymore as far as I can see, and 2 x Sony's are more expensive than the 256GB. And I could use my current Lexar 1000x in the second slot for now (doesn't handle 400mbps though) and get another 256GB in the near future? 

Then again, I'm probably over worrying about how little 128GB records at 10-bit ALL-I (about 40 mins?) - the only time I do that sort of length in one go is if I'm doing direct to camera stuff and that's not too often and I don't need 10-bit ALL-I for that ;)  So I could get one Sony 128GB for now and spend the difference on something else, and then later - when cheaper still - get another card.

Thanks

• 3 months later...
On 9/17/2018 at 4:22 PM, Jn- said:

Prograde work fine also.

Is Prograde v60 ok? I mean, by specs it is, just wondered if anyone has first hand experience. The reviews on B&H are horrible.

Torn between 2x256GB v60 and v90, and so is my wallet. :)

There’s no reviews for v90s.

4 hours ago, scotchtape said:

Do not use Lexar and Panasonic, they just do not like each other.  Even after the supposed firmware fix I still get the same bad behaviour with Panny + Lexar.

I was impatient and ordered 2x 256GB v60, almost went nuts and ordered v90s, but somehow persuaded myself it was a bad idea.
Ah, I will report back after tomorrow, worst case they are going back.

The issue I had was random using the X1000 cards.

A bunch of other people had it too, you can google it, basically every once in a while when you hit record, the camera will not start recording for 10-12 seconds.  If you happen to be watching the screen when you hit record, notice it's not doing anything, then hit it again, it will start recording in 10-12seconds then immediately stop (because you pressed the record button again).

Extremely annoying and leads to missed shots.  

It is not frequent, so you won't notice it until... well, you miss your shots or your think you are recording, but you aren't.

After they claimed they fixed the issues with Lexar cards, I tried mine again and still had the same issue.

Lexars now for other cameras.  Shame since the read speed is the best of the bunch I have .  Not sure if the X2000 have the same problem or not, so those might work?  Good luck!