The new Blackmagic RAW Codec

Anaconda_

1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

mini 4k, does it have the global shutter sensor of the 4k production camera? that with braw and with usuable lowlight at 800iso would be awesome. no mft mount though;/

URSA Mini 4K / URSA 4K / BMPC4K all share the "same" sensor. 

The newer ones fixed an issue or two, and allowed high speed thanks to the bigger bodies. 

But more or less, they're the same with mostly the same pros/cons like global shutter or poor low light. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, Anaconda_ said:

I wonder if they'll add Braw to the Video Assist. It would open up the codec to every other camera BUT, maybe the codec depends too much on being programmed to the particular sensor and so can only work for in camera recording.

The Video Assist already has SDI in, so I assume there's no hardware stopping it from recording raw in one way or another... that said, I've never seen a cDNG option on our one.

I was wondering the same thing. That would open it up to the C200 as well because it outputs a 2K 10bit Raw signal through its SDI.

5 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

I wonder if they'll add Braw to the Video Assist. It would open up the codec to every other camera BUT, maybe the codec depends too much on being programmed to the particular sensor and so can only work for in camera recording.

The Video Assist already has SDI in, so I assume there's no hardware stopping it from recording raw in one way or another... that said, I've never seen a cDNG option on our one.

raw has to come out of the camera - can't go just a normal video stream to raw

I wonder how many people will buy an UMP now along with the P4K? If I had that kind of money, I may consider it.

1 minute ago, Ed_David said:

raw has to come out of the camera - can't go just a normal video stream to raw

Yup and that’s why I think it will be interesting in the BMVAs... C200, FS5, FS7. I’ve been watching some FS5 videos lately and I really like internal 10bit and the external ProRes Raw looks good as well, if a BMVA gets BRaw, the FS5 could be a better option than even a UMP with 14 stops and sLog3.

Btw, when were you planning on comparing BRaw with Canon RawLite? I’m really looking forward to seeing that.

"I see a few heated discussions on forums about whether this or that codec is truly RAW and this makes me a tad bit amused. Your clients will neither care, nor know the difference. It’s only those that you argue with on the forum that will, but that sadly won’t pay your bills." 

Ah if only arguing with people on forums paid the bills, then I'd be a millionaire! ?

https://www.4kshooters.net/2018/09/19/ibc-2018-blackmagic-design-raw-will-come-to-the-bmpcc4k-in-future-firmware-update-davinci-resolve-15-1-update/

From the article, this seems quite topical: 

"It’s sad to see that manufacturers seem to be ignoring big shows like IBC more and more in favour of finding their own dates for big product releases, including big press trips. That is really not great at all because it can easily become a way to prevent real hands-on reviews before a release or to squash critical questions."

And here's the reason why BRAW looks so much better than CDNG...
The internal debayering process smoothes out high frequency noise and almost acts like an optical lowpass filter:
https://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Test/Blackmagic-RAW---Qualitaet-im-Vergleich-zu-CinemaDNG----IBC-2018--Debayering---Rauschen.html#Debay

That's some great news!

I read somewhere (or was it that briefing by Grant Petty), that the BRAW actually even improves the motion cadence. That sounded surprising, but I guess it have to do with things like capture and processing, so very likely.

Would love to see the BMPCC4K with the BRAD. 

Seems to me that what people talk about as Canon like colors is actual not only Canon color science, but also the Canon sensor science that yields the Canon look, along with the storage codec which also effects the motion rendering characteristics.

Now that we see what BRAW can do to the sensor output, it seems to me the Canon look has some stiff competition with the BRAW look with the USRA Mini Pro.

Great job Blackmagic on figuring out how to get the most out of your sensor data.

May the best sensor and sensor/color science win!

39 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

BRaw is amazing but the feature that flew under the radar is Gen 4 color science w/ Extended Video preview. It’s pretty much just like the Alexa and Amira whereas you can view a “modest” REC 709 version. Less saturation and contrast than the original BM to Rec 709 LUT.

quite a great feature for sure.
Still waiting for full ACES support with Color Science 4 though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2018 at 10:56 PM, webrunner5 said:

I would be amazed if Apple implements it in FCPX LoL.

I’m reasonably certain Apple will add B RAW to FCP X. Apple has partnered with both BMD (eGPU anyone?) and Atomos and this would benefit all parties. 

We use both, Resolve and FCPX, and it would be great if X incorporated Braw.

It's a great app for less involved post work and faster edits.

But one of the great benefits is shooting in ProRes HQ as it's optimized codec.

We'll see, but it would be great.

Also - just got notified that my P4ks have shipped.

• 1 month later...

"We're wide open"

"Anybody can add this to their camera or NLE"

Straight from the horse's mouth!

I deeply hope this means that now Z Cam / Kinefinity / etc add braw support in their cameras. *Maaaybe* even others like Panasonic and Sony will. 

Plus of course hopefully MAGIC Vegas Pro / Adobe Premiere / Final Cut (but I bet Apple will resist this) / HitFilm Pro /  etc will add support too. 

This could be the next industry wide standard, like ProRes is. 

32 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Anybody can add this to their camera or NLE EVENTUALLY"

It's great news and I just hope they hurry on that. Also I noticed that he didn't say how quick can one expect it on the BMPCC 4k, which probably means it's gonna take a while.

I guess Blackmagic may be trying to figure out how to recover costs and make money from BRAW if other Camera companies use it in the future. They may not be targeting obscene profits like Apple but they probably don't wanna give it away for free either I guess. 

From this I gather that BMD are focusing on bringing Braw to the P4K now that it's out of Beta, but they're (or this guy at least) is still unsure of when it'll be ready. It will be the next camera to support it though.

On a side note - what's the easiest way to update Resovle? Download, uninstall and reinstall? I can't find any update buttons.

7 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

On a side note - what's the easiest way to update Resovle? Download, uninstall and reinstall? I can't find any update buttons.

I’m on Mac, and I do have to download every new version from BMD’s website, but I just simply install it and assume it deletes the previous version. I might be wrong... hopefully I’m right because it would be stupid otherwise that in 2018 you can’t update a program unless you uninstall every previous version of it every single time you update. Especially the “industry standard” software. 

OT, if it’s out of beta now and they want to push it as open standard then shouldn’t they get it out on the P4K like ASAP?!