The new Blackmagic RAW Codec

Anaconda_

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yes, Grant Petty says it will come in that long video about it. But also on B&H, where they normally just say 'We'll pass this on as a feature request', they say this:

1118873747_ScreenShot2018-09-14at21_32_01.thumb.png.9d0d057a601a9d01e17ddddc4bb5b41a.png

Also, you can download the Braw player here (Mac only for now) https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/nl/support/download/9cadff466707404487123c114efce572/Mac OS X

Edit OSX 10.12 and up only - Hopefully someone else (VLC) will build it into their software soon enough, I won't be updating my OS  just for this.

9 hours ago, mercer said:

So is this only available on the Ursa Pro right now? I’d love for the Mini 4K to get it, that camera is getting to no brainer price levels on the used market. 

Looks great, thanks for finding it. Love the the thickness and detail on the older man’s face. 

Thanks!

And yeah, the detail retailed and flexibility is incredible. It's way faster than cDNG.

44 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

I might be misunderstanding something. But with Braw, could you bake in a lut for fat turn around, and then if need be, take the lut off in resolve for better archiving?

Among a host of hundreds of other features. You could also get simulated ISO and other effects. The sheer number of features and ease of use makes it amazing.

I wish Samsung (apart from DJI on the Mavic 2 Pro), would put it on the next S Series smartphone. 

8 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

I might be misunderstanding something. But with Braw, could you bake in a lut for fat turn around, and then if need be, take the lut off in resolve for better archiving?

you wouldn't "bake" it in, but you can put color profiles inside the metadata, which can be used by any software that fully implements the sdk. The metadata doesn't change the original data, it just gives information about how to display it.

its worth noting, however, that it's possible for a third party to make a player that doesn't implement all of the features from the sdk. Someone can make a player that ignores some or all of the metadata. there is less of a guarantee that your image will look the same everywhere, compared to a file that is actually baked into a universally standard color space (so it's not a safe distribution codec).

2 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

its worth noting, however, that it's possible for a third party to make a player that doesn't implement all of the features from the sdk. Someone can make a player that ignores some or all of the metadata. there is less of a guarantee that your image will look the same everywhere, compared to a file that is actually baked into a universally standard color space (so it's not a safe distribution codec).

The SDK handles reading and applying the metadata from the sidecar if present. App developers don’t need to need to manually do this.

13 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

The SDK handles reading and applying the metadata from the sidecar if present. App developers don’t need to need to manually do this.

Good to know! In the video Grant mentioned that all the features would be available to developers "should they choose to implement it" or something to that effect, so I assumed that there might be discrepancies between third party players depending on implementation.

I just read the entire thread on B-Raw on bmcuser. According to some of the posters over there, it should be in the P4K as Grant said they are working on it, but it seems it will be down the road... whatever that means. They also are under the impression that the entire Ursa Mini line will get it before the P4K.

If the Mini 4K gets B-Raw, I may have to pull the trigger on a used one. I really like the image out of that camera without B-Raw, with it... it becomes one of the cheapest S35mm Raw cinema cameras on the market at $2000 used.

My comment got Deleted, so I am posting it again. 

I thought I was the only lunatic wanting this across a plethora of devices (Mavic 2 Pro, Smartphone, MILCs etc), but after reading comments on YouTube and on blogs, that appears to be the consensus among quite a few people. The fact that bitrates on this aren't way off those on H.264 8-bit 4-2-0 codecs, that aren't in the same league (especially on camera like the Fuji XT-3 that have bitrates upto 400 Mb/s internally). I guess many people aren't too happy about 8-bit 4-2-0 on an ILC, especially considering its limitations for post work. And ProRes needs a replacement. 

6 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Including a lens, recording media, top handle and a few other accessories too, no doubt.

Definitely a deal, but I wonder if the Braw will push the market prices up.

Does it really improve the image though? I am looking at alot of the b-raw images, very pleasing to the eye, but nothing significantly different. Braw doesn't really address the  FPN,  sensitive sensor issue with the UM4K does it?