Sony A6500 Question

franklin

Working on a shoot and I need to do some b-roll that will match up with Sony FS5's. This is going to be spread out over weeks and it's to much to rent another one.

Someone suggested an A6500 as a workaround mainly because we have extra lenses that would fit including a 18-105 4.

Checked some of the reviews and big concern is the viewfinder. This is all outside on sunny days but with a level of control. 100% on a tripod and I do have a 7 inch field monitor that I can drag along.

2 questions - would it reasonably match? How bad is it working outside with the viewfinder? One video I looked at it seemed pretty bad especially in 4K mode.

Thanks in advance and open to other suggestions.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The built in EVF is dimming too in 4K just like the back LCD. It is almost impossible to see anything on the screen or on the EVF in bright sunlight when you are recording 4K. At 1080p both are perfectly bright.

With field monitor it will be fine. The image is identical in 4K to the FS5. The rolling shutter is much worse on the A6500, but the low light performance is much better.

I have been a A6500 owner for about two months now and I’ve taken on a multitude of projects in all kinds of lighting. Love it...with the exception of the screen. Now I will say I love the EVF personally as when shooting outside, I’ll just hold the camera to my face adding a third pillar of stabilization. If I were doing this more often, I’d get an external monitor and be done with it but it’s a super versatile little rig!

• 3 weeks later...

I got an A6300 rather than the A6500 because someone had it and let me buy it at a good price. This is the first time I've used a mirrorless camera so it's a bit of a learning curve but I have it figured out. Made a cheat sheet for the menus until I get everything to memory. The LCD is not as bad, the dimming is a pain but the zebra seems to be very accurate so you get used to it. Few questions from an experienced user if they catch the thread.

1. I watched several tutorials and they mention turning the detail down when shooting 4K. I fooled around with it a bit and can't see much difference. Have it set on -3 for now.

2. Can't find the LCD adjustment to set the screen to 16 x 9 when you are not recording. When you hit record it jumps to the crop and I though you could set the screen to stay 16 x 9.

Thanks again for the help.

3 hours ago, franklin said:

I got an A6300 rather than the A6500 because someone had it and let me buy it at a good price. This is the first time I've used a mirrorless camera so it's a bit of a learning curve but I have it figured out. Made a cheat sheet for the menus until I get everything to memory. The LCD is not as bad, the dimming is a pain but the zebra seems to be very accurate so you get used to it. Few questions from an experienced user if they catch the thread.

1. I watched several tutorials and they mention turning the detail down when shooting 4K. I fooled around with it a bit and can't see much difference. Have it set on -3 for now.

2. Can't find the LCD adjustment to set the screen to 16 x 9 when you are not recording. When you hit record it jumps to the crop and I though you could set the screen to stay 16 x 9.

Thanks again for the help.

To prevent overheating, you will want to make sure that your a6300 has the latest firmware update.

However... and I am about 95% sure of this but I could be wrong... once you apply the firmware it will dim the screen in 4K as much as the screen of the a6500 dims (without the firmware to prevent overheating, I could swear that my a6300 screen was a bit brighter than that of the a6500).

Also, you will want batteries. Lots of batteries. If you are going to lock down on a tripod and use a monitor, you should also seriously consider using a power bank and a dummy battery as the heating of the batteries seems to accelerate overheating. Using a power bank and dummy battery is supposed to help with this. If you just use a power bank and use the USB cable to charge the camera while still using a regular battery inside the a6300 then I think you will still generate significant heat off of the battery.

And a good quality FAST memory card is supposed to help prevent overheating... at least that is what some people say.

15 hours ago, franklin said:

The LCD is good but not great, it only dims when it goes it record so it's usable. I did notice the batteries don't last long but it's not overheating on me but I am not recording clips over 30sec. 

Thanks for the advice.

One thing you can do in brighter weather is set up the camera while in M mode (instead of video mode) and then when you are ready to record, just press the record button. If you are in 24fps I don't think there is any crop in. If you are in 30fps, then there will be a slight crop in when you hit the record button.

It's a pain to change batteries, but changing batteries when they are at 50% might be better than changing at 100% because - if memory serves - batteries get hotter as they get nearer to the bottom of their capacity. But that might be a myth. Either way, changing out a battery after using it for 20 minutes or so and letting it cool back down while you use a different battery isn't a bad idea.

There are little "cold packs" that you can wedge between the lcd screen and the back of the camera as well. I am looking for them and if I can find some I will let you know.

I have been meaning to buy these button bumps forever and a day now. I would use one on the record button and on the FN button and maybe the menu button to make them a bit easier to press.

https://www.amazon.com/ShutterBands-ButtonBumps-Pro-Pak/dp/B06XXFQDB4

On 9/15/2018 at 1:17 AM, Dustin said:

I have been a A6500 owner for about two months now and I’ve taken on a multitude of projects in all kinds of lighting. Love it...with the exception of the screen. Now I will say I love the EVF personally as when shooting outside, I’ll just hold the camera to my face adding a third pillar of stabilization. If I were doing this more often, I’d get an external monitor and be done with it but it’s a super versatile little rig!

I'm also a recent A6500 shooter but still have my Panasonics. Bought it from a friend for cheap just to try and use it as a C-cam to the GH5/s. I have a Sigma 18-35 to pair with the A6500. What lenses are you using? Any recommendations?

On 10/7/2018 at 3:18 PM, jonpais said:

It’s sad. How hard can it be to make proper buttons in the first place?

True. I don't really know why. How are the buttons on the a7 III? I know that Tony and Chelsea were raving about the buttons on the EOs R compared to the a7 III so I guess they haven't improved much!?!?!

2 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

True. I don't really know why. How are the buttons on the a7 III? I know that Tony and Chelsea were raving about the buttons on the EOs R compared to the a7 III so I guess they haven't improved much!?!?!

The AF-On and AEL buttons are a bit shallow and don't give a lot of feedback, and I think it was Chris who pointed out that he doesn't like buttons to the left of the EVF, which I happen to agree with.

And the lens release button is next to impossible for me to comfortably reach.

Of course, the grip is too small.

And I've asked before why it takes so many steps to do a custom WB: #1. Press C1 button #2. Scroll past presets 1, 2 and 3 until 'set' appears #3. click on 'set' #4. point camera at something white and depress center of wheel #5. Save the custom white balance to a preset. 

And since I always do custom white balance, it's a little aggravating.

I'd just like to be able to click on C1, have the target appear, press the center of the wheel and be done.

On 10/7/2018 at 10:13 PM, TurboRat said:

I'm also a recent A6500 shooter but still have my Panasonics. Bought it from a friend for cheap just to try and use it as a C-cam to the GH5/s. I have a Sigma 18-35 to pair with the A6500. What lenses are you using? Any recommendations?

It’s the perfect camera for what I need right now.   I went with a native lens to give the Auto Focus a try and chose the Sony 35mm 1.8. Got it on eBay real cheap and I really like it. I’ve shot now about 6-7 videos with this combo and it’s a keeper. Recently did a big interview project and although I can’t share it on here, footage looked fantastic . It was the easiest interview I’ve ever shot. Used @Andrew Reid EOSHD and shot a combo of his baked in pro color profile and pro log. Just hit zone focus on the head and that is all I had to look at, the a6500 kept focus perfectly every time! Granted I lit my subject and chose the background/environment. Love this camera!

Question about the EVF.

This is the first time I've touched a mirrorless camera. I need reading glasses but when I look into the EVF it appears to be in focus. The data at the bottom looks spot on. On a standard Sony camera eyepiece I am almost out of adjustment range. My regular vision is fine uncorrected but I need reading glasses to work. How can it be in focus without the glasses?

Thanks

If a lack of 4K is not a deal breaker for you (maaaaaaaybe? You're shooting with a FS5 after all, not a FS7 which is what I'd go with if 4K was really important) then perhaps consider even the a6000 which is dirt cheap but shoots nice 1080 XAVC-S (better actually than the a6500/a6300!). Or even the a7Smk1 is cheap on eBay now (and if you've got a recorder already, you'll have your 4K as a bonus). 

10 hours ago, Dustin said:

It’s the perfect camera for what I need right now.   I went with a native lens to give the Auto Focus a try and chose the Sony 35mm 1.8. Got it on eBay real cheap and I really like it. I’ve shot now about 6-7 videos with this combo and it’s a keeper. Recently did a big interview project and although I can’t share it on here, footage looked fantastic . It was the easiest interview I’ve ever shot. Used @Andrew Reid EOSHD and shot a combo of his baked in pro color profile and pro log. Just hit zone focus on the head and that is all I had to look at, the a6500 kept focus perfectly every time! Granted I lit my subject and chose the background/environment. Love this camera!

Thanks! I'll look into the Sony 35mm f1.8. I was looking into the Sigma 16mm f1,4 before but it's too high for the budget plus I think the Sigma 18-35 gives the same results, image-quality-wise.