A scope to go as wide as possible on full frame?

Son Lee

I saw a lad posting on facebook, that he's using a 40mm pancake lens on a full frame camera with Kowa B&H. That's pretty sweet if you ask me.

If money were no issue, what scope (1.5-2x stretch, 1.33 seems pretty pointless to me) could one buy, to be able to go the widest on full frame (get the widest FOV after 2.4:1 crop)? I own sony A7S, and there's a lot of 35-45-50mm glass I'd love to use with scopes.

Iscoramas? Kowa B&H? Inflight? Bolex?

Thank

Cristiano

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
21 hours ago, Son Lee said:

I saw a lad posting on facebook, that he's using a 40mm pancake lens on a full frame camera with Kowa B&H. That's pretty sweet if you ask me.

If money were no issue, what scope (1.5-2x stretch, 1.33 seems pretty pointless to me) could one buy, to be able to go the widest on full frame (get the widest FOV after 2.4:1 crop)? I own sony A7S, and there's a lot of 35-45-50mm glass I'd love to use with scopes.

Iscoramas? Kowa B&H? Inflight? Bolex?

Thank

Cristiano

On a FF camera the following applies:

Kowa (2x) - 75mm

Iscorama (1.5x) - 50mm

The widest would be the Panasonic LA7200 (1.33x) at 35mm. But, you can crop to 2.40 & it should eliminate most vignetting - so if he said he could use a 40mm, that could be correct (I don't have or use FF cameras). The only thing to remember is that Anamorphics do like/play better with longer taking lenses & because you're using an anamorphic, you don't have to use extreme wide angle lenses. The real downfall of using wide angle lenses (some, if not all 35mm) is that they will tend to have skewed edges & this will be worse on a 2x anamorphic - but again, if you're cropping this won't be so obvious.