Low con filters for cameras with lower dynamic range

janericeuler

Hey !
I am wondering if it would actually allow me to capture more information with my GH5s when I use a low con filter in scenes with a high dynamic range. 

My goal would be to retain more highlight information for a smoother roll off and keep information in the shadows.. effectively sort of extending the dynamic range of the GH5s.. I would love a small camera at 4K 60p like the GH5s with a higher dynamic range than 12 stops.. 

Do you have any experiences with using some form of low contrast filtration for that purpose?

Does it work ok or do you just get mushy shadows ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, Luke Mason said:

Low con filters reduce contrast by lifting black level, but they do not extend the DR.

It might not be for the sensor, but if it make the scene less contrasty then it is technically making the sensor recording more from the shadows to the highlight. Same as using older less contrasty lens.

9 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

It might not be for the sensor, but if it make the scene less contrasty then it is technically making the sensor recording more from the shadows to the highlight. Same as using older less contrasty lens.

It does not reduce the dynamic range of the scene, it simply makes the black level "milky". You can take away light from a scene, for example using ND filter, but you cannot add light to the shadow with just a filter.