My new music video showreel!

Oliver Daniel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What a burst of colour & some of those shots made my jaw drop!

I understand why you stopped doing music videos - my very brief experience was people wanting something for nothing & the hassle you get from armchair filmmakers, especially when they don't want to cough up some money to get what they want.

You could quite easily do a YouTube channel explaining lighting, editing, CC & probably, most importantly the preparation/budgeting side of things as well. You don't have to be an overtly visible presence, but you have all the tools to pass on some knowledge - if that's your thing.

On 9/12/2018 at 2:37 PM, Jimmy said:

Doesn't have to be a youtube video either... I'd just be interested to see a good thread about lighting on here (maybe there is one I have missed?)

This isn't much effort on my part, but the approach to these shots isn't entirely technical and more of a "paintbrush" sort of thing. Sure, I use exposure guides to refine the lighting but I'm not always sat in front of scopes like some people are. I more or less screw about with light placement, colour contrast, shaping of the light and eyeball 95% of the way through. 

On 9/12/2018 at 2:27 PM, IronFilm said:

Plus a YouTube channel is a long term thing, start it out now, you get to slowly build up the channel in a natural manner and figure out your style (I still don't know mine... and  I've been doing it for well over a year! And on a very regular basis).

Then you already have a good fledgling YouTube channel base to start out from sometime in the future if you do decide to take it more seriously, and say do regular bi-weekly content. Rather than starting from scratch with zero. 

I do have some stuff in the early steps - although the target audience is more for branding and marketing teams in our target niche areas. One of the modules is videography with a smartphone, with some stuff on lighting (using Aputure AL-MX's). 

For the general audience - I need a worthwhile reason, the passion and time to do some Youtube stuff. 

On 9/12/2018 at 3:54 PM, IronFilm said:

I wouldn't mind if we all stopped talking about cameras for the rest of 2018 and only talked about lighting!

We should be really... lighting is make makes a camera shine! I see people complaining on Vimeo that the A7SII is dull and soulless, bjt that's because there's so many "high ISO" videos with no lighting whatsoever. 

On 9/12/2018 at 7:11 PM, mercer said:

Really nice work Oliver! Out of curiosity, which shots were from the GH3?

I still remember the Christmas video you did a couple years ago... I think with the RX10ii?

I’m sure most of us would like to know your sLog settings.

But I’m pretty sure you could take a G7X Mark II and make it look high end.

Thank you! 

GH3 shots, from top my head.... kid in the yellow hat, 2 sunglasses kids in front of vintage car,  gang running through tunnel. Sorry not got time to screenshot. 

Yes, did do an RX10II Xmas video. Wasn't a fan of the camera though. Sold it. 

Slog settings.... I'll share but don't have the camera to hand right now. 

On 9/12/2018 at 7:45 PM, Trek of Joy said:

That reel is gorgeous, you sir are very talented.

Chris

Thank you!

On 9/13/2018 at 7:36 AM, tellure said:

Great stuff.  Tons of energy and impact in your shots.  Also slo-mo drumstick flip was sweet :).

Yeah - energy, impact and slo-mo is a big feature we try and push. 

On 9/13/2018 at 8:41 AM, newfoundmass said:

Ha ha, fml, I'll never produce anything close to this! 

Show me your stuff? 

Never say never. 

On 9/13/2018 at 12:00 PM, Bioskop.Inc said:

What a burst of colour & some of those shots made my jaw drop!

I understand why you stopped doing music videos - my very brief experience was people wanting something for nothing & the hassle you get from armchair filmmakers, especially when they don't want to cough up some money to get what they want.

You could quite easily do a YouTube channel explaining lighting, editing, CC & probably, most importantly the preparation/budgeting side of things as well. You don't have to be an overtly visible presence, but you have all the tools to pass on some knowledge - if that's your thing.

Thank you!

I've not stopped doing music videos, it will just be less of. Still very much in demand. 

Like I said in previous posts, the general Youtube thing i would do if I can find a purpose behind it. Don't want to be a "me too" kinda guy, what would be the point? 

53 minutes ago, CyclingBen said:

The lighting in all of the videos is spot on.  I wish I had the eye you did for lighting.  I re-watched a music video I did in 2014 I thought was my best lighting job, looks like amateur hour compared to yours.

Besides lighting, the whole creative / art direction is spectacular.

Thank you, all these comments are pretty flattering. 

Hoping to go a step further this year - as long a I don't burn myself out like I have many times before! 

29 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

We should be really... lighting is make makes a camera shine! I see people complaining on Vimeo that the A7SII is dull and soulless, bjt that's because there's so many "high ISO" videos with no lighting whatsoever. 

This. Your reel is truly exceptional. 

On 9/14/2018 at 7:33 PM, sanveer said:

@Oliver Daniel very impressive showreel. I am envious and also makes me realise how lazy I am becoming. I need to do more work. Music Videos are especially, something else (David Finches would prove this).

Great work. 

Make something!

I get lazy sometimes, and then mourn over the piece of s**t I’ve just created. I’ll admit right now I’m lacking in creative spark. 

On 9/14/2018 at 9:23 PM, hansel said:

Stunning execution!!! I have no sound. Looked at it completely still, simply amazing art direction, lighting and shooting...

it would be great to know more about the shoots you did.

Thank you. 

What would you like to know? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/18/2018 at 9:49 PM, Oliver Daniel said:

What would you like to know? 

Well, slightly overwhelmed. In general I would love to take a slice of it home meaning I would love to translate some of it over to my event reportage run and gun stuff.

So first question before throwing myself off the roof, please don't tell me you did this on the weekends with a mate helping a little...?!? Because to me this looks like a well organised and equipped shoot with a fair amount of people involved. Makeup, styling, location scouting, bloody amazing lighting etc...

1 hour ago, hansel said:

Well, slightly overwhelmed. In general I would love to take a slice of it home meaning I would love to translate some of it over to my event reportage run and gun stuff.

So first question before throwing myself off the roof, please don't tell me you did this on the weekends with a mate helping a little...?!? Because to me this looks like a well organised and equipped shoot with a fair amount of people involved. Makeup, styling, location scouting, bloody amazing lighting etc...

Well yeah, my work is entirely different to "event reportage run and gun stuff" - the setups are very controlled where the max ISO used will be about 400! 

Most of the videos you see in the reel have a small team around them but it's more DIY than you might think. There's me, a Director,  a "do it all" handyman, a make up artist and a couple of assistants. We have all learnt to be very resourceful and use anything and everything to get a result. 

My own process in this can be quite frustrating as there's a lot of stress and overwhelm with prep in a tiny team. I actually enjoy the "run and gun" narratives more, where we've created a story, characters and bombed around with some LED lights and a camera: 

This one, written, directed, filmed, edited and graded by me with an A6500, 18-105 f4, all in autofocus: 

And this one here, same deal as before but this time with an A7SII, vintage lenses, a few lights and sometimes a Ronin-M: 

Puhhhh, cheers thanks for the insights.

Ok, so my gut feeling is not that far off. I do a couple of fashion photo shoots a year and although it is not that much of an extensive prep (as with video, I think) experience shows that you need a handful of people knowing what they're doing to have it all come together right.