My new music video showreel!

Oliver Daniel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Dang. More than just great looking it's inspirational. This is a reel where I really don't care about the camera because the overall concepts, art direction, camera movement, etc. are so great. Thanks for sharing I hope you're ok with me hitting you up with questions from time to time ?

Especially fond of:

1216297608_ScreenShot2018-09-11at8_58_16PM.thumb.png.6c1e5d240e40377a60a8d6fdf4570172.png

827308005_ScreenShot2018-09-11at8_58_45PM.thumb.png.0849ddd36ea64b47a3b08dacc04ec85d.png

2092127054_ScreenShot2018-09-11at8_58_54PM.thumb.png.e510153e60f9b9d261f159132221dbbb.png

2041890628_ScreenShot2018-09-11at8_59_25PM.thumb.png.e32dbd47d4c7689e0ce4edb5d196230d.png

Now THAT was a smoking reel! I felt transported to another place - great art direction, variety and dynamic pacing in the edit.  

A tip of the hat to you sir. 

Cameras be damned! That could have been shot on anything half decent (except maybe the super slow motion)  - the lighting and concept design trumped everything else. As it always does.

7 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Hey Everyone, 

Here’s a bunch of stuff I’ve shot, graded and edited for music videos between 2012-2018. 

The shots in the reel not done by me are the drone shots. 

For you camera nerds, I used......

Sony FS700, FS5, FS7, F55, A7SII, A6500.

Panasonic GH3, GH5. 

DJI X3, X5R.

Brilliant work!!! It's a really captivating show reel.

5 hours ago, EthanAlexander said:

Dang. More than just great looking it's inspirational. This is a reel where I really don't care about the camera because the overall concepts, art direction, camera movement, etc. are so great. Thanks for sharing I hope you're ok with me hitting you up with questions from time to time 

Thanks, those words mean a lot. 

Sadly I won’t be able to do as music videos as a flagship anymore because of ever-reducing budgets. So I’ll be doing branded video work as my main income, with music videos the passion projects. 

Hit me up whenever about anything, cool. 

3 hours ago, Matt Holder said:

Now THAT was a smoking reel! I felt transported to another place - great art direction, variety and dynamic pacing in the edit.  

A tip of the hat to you sir. 

Cameras be damned! That could have been shot on anything half decent (except maybe the super slow motion)  - the lighting and concept design trumped everything else. As it always does.

There’s RED footage and BM footage that didn’t make it - just down to content quality. 

Thanks for the encouraging words too. 

2 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Brilliant work!!! It's a really captivating show reel.

Thank you! 

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Top work, as always.... The lighting is stunning. I'd love to see you make a post with some behind the scenes chat about your lighting ideas and setup.

Thank you. 

I've been asked quite often to do a Youtuber thing, but not really sure what I could do much differently in this area as it's VERY overcrowded. 

I DO have a set of content on the way for the branded video side though, but you guys won't be the target market for that. 

When I plan to do content for Youtube and such, I have to measure it's overall worth, so at this moment in time, I have to focus on the are of growth. 

This doesn't rule out your request though, I just need a worthwhile reason to do it. 

36 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Fantastic. Some wonderful shot ideas in here, perfectly executed!

Cheers Andrew - as i've said in other comments my work in this particular area will decrease, however it means when I do put my time to music video stuff, I can give it my creative all rather than spreading it thinly across multiple projects. It's hard to keep fresh. 

9 minutes ago, Robin said:

Inspiring stuff. Thanks for sharing

Thank you! 

1 hour ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I've been asked quite often to do a Youtuber thing, but not really sure what I could do much differently in this area as it's VERY overcrowded. 

There is a wide variety of filmmaking YouTube channels. 

Not all areas are equally crowded. 

Camera dept related BTS? Very very very crowded!

Audio BTS?? Dead. Just dead. Almost completely empty. Only myself + Matt Price + RLFO are the rare regulars anywhere on YouTube. 

Lighting? Again, fairly empty. Luke Seerveld would be the main guy here, plus say Matt Workman often goes quite into detail about lighting set ups, but doesn't really do much of the BTS thing. 

So yeah, focus on Lighting Setup BTS should be your thing! Clearly you're great at it, and this is an unfilled niche on YouTube. 

1 hour ago, Oliver Daniel said:

When I plan to do content for Youtube and such, I have to measure it's overall worth, so at this moment in time, I have to focus on the are of growth. 

This doesn't rule out your request though, I just need a worthwhile reason to do it. 

I fully agree, you need to either find it worthwhile for your professional career or just simply get pure enjoyment out of it. 

I'd suggest focusing on the 2nd area first. 

Just do occasional YouTube BTS videos, when you feel like it and inspiration hits. They don't have to be super regular, they could be months apart. 

Plus a YouTube channel is a long term thing, start it out now, you get to slowly build up the channel in a natural manner and figure out your style (I still don't know mine... and  I've been doing it for well over a year! And on a very regular basis).

Then you already have a good fledgling YouTube channel base to start out from sometime in the future if you do decide to take it more seriously, and say do regular bi-weekly content. Rather than starting from scratch with zero. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Doesn't have to be a youtube video either... I'd just be interested to see a good thread about lighting on here (maybe there is one I have missed?)

I wouldn't mind if we all stopped talking about cameras for the rest of 2018 and only talked about lighting!

Really nice work Oliver! Out of curiosity, which shots were from the GH3?

I still remember the Christmas video you did a couple years ago... I think with the RX10ii?

I’m sure most of us would like to know your sLog settings.

But I’m pretty sure you could take a G7X Mark II and make it look high end.