What camera bag(s) do you use?

Mako Sports

Eveyone knows you can't underestimate the importance of a good camera bag. I'm still on the hunt for the perfect camera backpack so I ask what bags do you guys use for video work.

Currently own and use the Sony LCS BP3 and the Camrade CB single 1. These bags are good enough but I have still have some gripes which each of them.

I do own a pelican 1510 but dont use as much as I originally planned on. It's rather heavy and to cumbersome for small local gigs.

I've tried the Cinebags CB23, Vanguard Alta sky 49 backpack, and the Tenba Cinelux 21. None of them really worked for me.

I prefer backpacks cause I feel like I can carry more and I'm getting to that point in my videography career where my bag needs to fit in an airline overhead bin.

When I travel I run a small video camera, mirrorless body with one lens for photos, 1 external monitor, wireless lav system, xlr shotgun mic, headphones, extra batteries, various cables, and SD cards.

So what bag(s) do you use and how are they working for you.

20180522_161236.jpg

20180518_232048.jpg

20180427_185200.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

For single cam stuff, I have been really trying to minimize my kit. I have recently been using the Case Logic SLR Sling. It fits my NX1 with 16-50 on it, a 45mm, a fisheye, 5 memory cards, stuff to clean the camera lenses, grey cards and xrite color checker passport, an on camera mic, battery grip, battery charger, some earbuds, and usb cables. 

cgslrc205_4.jpg

For stuff that needs more gear or cameras, I have a Lowepro Photo Trekker Backpack. It fits EVERYTHING I will ever need. Fits 2 NX1s, 1 NX500, 5 different lenses, 2 mics, 2 sets of headphones, chargers for everything, external hard drives, extension cords, you name it. 

d063d8b7c1471349d2847c26ce4e4d8c48.jpg

I am currently using the Lowpro M-Trekker: https://blog.cameraelectronic.com.au/2018/04/a-victory-for-common-sense-lowepro-m-trekker/

It has two big advantages:

-It doesn't look as bulky, and some might say dorky, as most camera bags. Except for the Lowepro logo, it doesn't look like a camera bag at all.

-It's actually very comfortable to wear, even with a heavy load. It's stiff and worn close to the body.

Downsides:

-Not good for attaching a tripod. You're supposed to latch it on underneath, but it sticks out too much on both sides unless you have a very small tripod

-It takes a little while to access your stuff because it opens on the side towards your body

I have several different bags that I use for different purposes, and would classify myself as a hobbyist DLSR/mirrorless shooter.  I'm more of a photographer, but I've worked a few docs/projects as a camera operator.

Domke F6 (little big smaller) shoulder bag:  I've had this bag for over a decade and use it primarily for light photo shooting.  It's my go-to concert photography bag.  Easy to work out of, small and unobtrusive.  

Lowepro Video Fastpack 250:  I've had this bag forever, and I love it for small shoots. I can stick my camera and a couple of lenses in the bottom, and I can carry a lav setup, headphones, etc in the top.  Great little run and gun bag...super functional for what I'm often doing.

Langly Multi Pack:  This is my "kitchen sink" aka "bucket of gear bag"  Reasonably functional, can haul a lot of gear, looks pretty nice. Weighs around 30 lbs fully loaded.

Wandrd PRVKE 31: Bought this when I switched to the A7III and those little tiny Sony 1.8 primes.  It's sort of a fancier and way more expensive Lowepro Video fastpack.  This is a great bag when you want to combine a minimalist kit with a daypack/laptop hauler.  Great daypack, great travel bag.  

If I need more gear than these can handle, then it's hard rolling cases.  Love the Pelican 1510 (and similar), but I'm just using hand me down hard cases from work.

I kickstarted the Compagnon explorer+, and really quite love it, mostly. I am out in the mountains often (have completed the Mountain Leader Training) and always felt that most camera bags just don't live up to mountaineering backpacks in terms of comfort. I REALLY like the Deuter backpack on the Compagnon explorer. It can hold a decent amount of photography gear, but might just be too small for more video-centric setups. For anything longer than just a short trip I'll also still need something that can hold more volume to fit all my camping gear and clothes in (not necessary weight).

I wish the Compagnon would have straps to tie the one or the other bit to the bottom of it, if necessary. I wish they'd take that bag and make it even larger, volume wise. But by and large I am really happy - even carrying a pretty heavy and big tripod attached to the side is fine for several hours hiking.

24 minutes ago, Christof Haberle said:

I kickstarted the Compagnon explorer+, and really quite love it, mostly. I am out in the mountains often (have completed the Mountain Leader Training) and always felt that most camera bags just don't live up to mountaineering backpacks in terms of comfort. I REALLY like the Deuter backpack on the Compagnon explorer. It can hold a decent amount of photography gear, but might just be too small for more video-centric setups. For anything longer than just a short trip I'll also still need something that can hold more volume to fit all my camping gear and clothes in (not necessary weight).

I wish the Compagnon would have straps to tie the one or the other bit to the bottom of it, if necessary. I wish they'd take that bag and make it even larger, volume wise. But by and large I am really happy - even carrying a pretty heavy and big tripod attached to the side is fine for several hours hiking.

That looks like a nice bag.  Similar concept to the PRVKE, but it looks like the volume distribution is tilted about 2/3 for gear.  The PRVKE is around 50% gear and 50% "stuff" in the top compartment.  Really dig this style of bag.  My only complaint with the PRVKE is gear access is a little fussy.  Side access works well enough, but accessing multiple lenses is a little big of a chore.  Could be a little more accommodating for a prime shooter like myself.