Sign in to follow this  
newfoundmass

The dislike for Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've browsed here for months, but it was Andrew's masterful command of literature with the last line which finally convinced me to sign up.

Staged, it ain't.  🙂

48 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

I've noticed quite a few people lately expressing overt disdain for Andrew Reid and it's kind of confusing. I get disagreeing with him (example: I don't entirely agree with him in the Blackmagic thread, though I think he's right to be hurt and thought JB's response was unnecessary) but why do people post here if they have such a dislike for him? 

Andrew has been nothing but courteous and helpful to me. Just one example: he gladly sent me the GH3 guide earlier this year that I ordered years ago so that I could gift it and my old camera to my nephew after he showed an interest in video. He didn't have to do that, he was really only obligated to allow me to download it during the allotted time after buying it, and certainly didn't have to send it knowing I was going to be giving it to a another person after having used it myself already. He did though and seemed happy to. 

This isn't meant to be an overt Andrew Reid appreciation thread, but seeing people go after him after he has done and contributed so much, is very confusing, especially from people that have / are benefiting from his work and efforts. Certainly you can disagree with him in a friendly way, no? 

Just some thoughts as it seemed like people came out of the woodworks to antagonize him, like sharks that smelled blood, these past couple of days. 

Out of likes. Well said. Yeah, What the Hell. Like you are really going to go to some other forum and have the same info as here, quality of people, friends. I don't F ing get it at all either??

Like they say, if I was King I would ban a bunch of people's Asses! 

Andrew is a really wonderful guy and person who help show me that I can be an artist.  

I haven't followed the recent DRAM- he's a really decent guy, and I agree with him, the internet makes everyone crazy.  Just need to meet up in real life and have a nice warm glass of milk.

Why can't we all be friends?

I enjoy his no nonsense reviews. His guides and articles have been a great resource for me.  They have had more utility than alot of youtuber reviews who take up half their video with vain talking head spec reads and regurgitated videos.  

41 minutes ago, Ed_David said:

Andrew is a really wonderful guy and person who help show me that I can be an artist.  

I haven't followed the recent DRAM- he's a really decent guy, and I agree with him, the internet makes everyone crazy.  Just need to meet up in real life and have a nice warm glass of milk.

Why can't we all be friends?

Well I have had about 4 real friends in my whole life, Gulp. Yeah I am one of those types, take or leave it. But I consider a lot of people on here as friends. I would hate to see it go down the tubes as they say.

I am willing to move on. Christ it's Just a camera, not life or death. Am I going to get religion, quit drinking, stop cussing, sing Kumbaya, Hell No. But we Need to just get over this and move on. I Want Blackmagic to succeed, and all that is on here to succeed in their goals.  Lots of choices, and different needs for everyone. Great time to be into video, best time I have ever seen in my lifetime.

There also appears to be a pattern of people who have been banned, and who keep reappearing under fake names again. Or cantankerous individuals who are just here to pass nasty comments on everything and everyone.

I guess there should be stricter moderation, with people being banned from posting for a week, and people being removed for a third violation. Maybe the admins have become lenient. For the outright trolls. 

And the level of personal comments needs to be toned down. Somehow the ones not said in jest or in good humour, are mostly just plain rude or outright nasty.

While I may disagree with Andrew on some of his opinions, i have noticed, from the interactions and posts I read, over the last few years, that he isn't some glorified camera operator who will give ludicrous self contradicting clickbait dynamic range tests, or post reviews only to get free cameras from  manufacturers.

I've been with EOSHD and Andrew ever since I got my 600D a couple of years ago. I always liked him for his different approach to cameras and filmmaking. I kinda looked up to him as someone who does what I wanted to do for a living. I felt inspired by his work and more often than I'd like to admit, I tried to recreate it. 

But this recent post on the blog sounds like a 10 year old getting pissed at one of the parent that he didn't get a sweet like other kids did. And I get it, it's a legitimate reason to be mad, maybe even betrayed, and he's a human so it's natural to feel these emotions, however I can't help but think it's very unprofessional and it break that image of Andrew I had in my mind. That post should go to a direct PM to John, maybe an e-mail to BM but using EOSHD as a platform to settle personal drama, that's just meh.

Of course I don't know what goes behind the curtain, hell I don't even post that much here, but there are a lot of people like me, people how mostly lurk and read and seeing that post on the front page is very outputting.

I've just checked personal view forum and found it interesting that some mr Reads opponents (in last BM particular case) from here tried to find better support at PW - but answer of mr Kiselev is nicely supporting for mr Read side, which may be count more because of the similar base independent spirit (although, as we know, with little bit different attitude) and influence. I'm glad to see solidarity :) - So this is the quote (sorry if it may be boring to anyone, but it is not too long)

"Yet he has a point.

BM marketing is worst I ever had experience with.

They do not value old communities and sites who actually made BM first cameras success possible.
They do not behave like friends, but more like cold blooded lawyers who use people like condoms.
Do they have economic reasons to do such? Of course. But in such way no need to be upset with that Andrew wrote.

I think this is that Andrew tries to tell.

I believe he is upset to see that BM became no different to Canon or Nikon, having their pet reviewers who release footage upon inspection and are all under NDA. Actually this is that John said.

Current situation with camera reviews is very serious and must be stopped definitely.

Companies interests is one thing and here we see full happiness, but they completely ignore interests of the people."

It is, I think, nice example when cultural-, material background-, owing-to-bornplace history-, even ideological-  differences are exceeded or overrun by deeper human, orientation-values and youthful idealism/enthusiasm similarity. 

2 hours ago, Inazuma said:

What are you guys talking about?? I visit these forums every day and haven't seen people talking bad on Andrew???

Appreciate the sentiment. But yes it is being blown out of proportion. I haven't murdered a kitten.

Yet!!

1 hour ago, Shirozina said:

I stopped visiting PV after seeing this post from VK

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5543/december-21st/p1

Can yo imagine a site hosted by someone who did the same for Hitler?

Actually 99% of what one reads in newspapers and heard on the news is False/ Fake. Even stranger is that the Majority of people reading or listening to the news don't know this.

While Stalin, Hitler, Mao and Lenin have been said to have murdered millions, the exact number is highly debatable, and the chances of discrepancy is way greater that the actual numbers themselves.

While VK is terrible erratic and sometimes seemingly juvenile, he is actually quite aware of who and what runs the world, and who pulls the strings. Something most people cannot even be told. 

I certainly appreciate all the colateral solidarity to make it happen in supportive posts like mine yesterday. In my country though, there's an old saying to tell us the more we do mention of it, the more the sh*t is hitting the fan.

E : -)