Sony a7SIII - Full Frame 4K 60fps 10bit with Flip Out Screen

Dave Maze

On 9/7/2018 at 7:44 PM, jonpais said:

Fully articulating screen would be ok by me, but a better experience with the playmemories app for remote control, including tap to focus would be even better.

I read this for a second: "Fully articulating screen would be ok by me, but a better experience with the playmates..."!!! Fuck the articulating screen, gimme da playmates!!! ;-DD

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

Looks like A7SIII wont be coming this year. I think could be due to agreement with Panasonic on first FF Mirrorless 4K60P.

The Sony subsidiary that makes cameras has no connection with Panasonic at all, so why the hell would they reach an agreement to allow Panasonic to gain market share at their expense? No business works like that, at least no business that is still in business. And before you go on about Sony making Panasonic sensors, might I remind you that the sensor manufacturing company is independent of the camera subsidiary, it was set up like that specifically to avoid conflicts of interest. Sony might manufacture sensors for Panasonic, but it would be a Panasonic designed sensor they would be making. Just like Sony were manufacturing Samsung designed sensors to fill up the supply chain for the rollout of the S8. Same sensor, designed by Samsung, using some technology licensed in from Canon, some of which were made by Samsung and some of which were made by Sony under contract.

Sony cameras would be using sensors designed by the Sony camera business. Both sensors would use proprietary manufacturing technology developed by the Sony sensor business, but beyond that the two sensors are not the same unless they were off the shelf designs, and I doubt either Sony Camera or Panasonic would be doing that. Neither company is a generic when it comes to their flagship products.

So put your tin foil hat back on, there is NO agreement.

43 minutes ago, Mokara said:

So put your tin foil hat back on, there is NO agreement.

Unless you are actually in the Sony senior management role in the camera division you are just spectators like me, no hard proof but just speculating from some whispers.  

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-says-it-will-take-time-to-see-the-a7siii-but-it-will-go-beyond-the-customers-expectations/

Looks like SAR's A7SIII gonna release anytime is wrong?

1 hour ago, ntblowz said:

Unless you are actually in the Sony senior management role in the camera division you are just spectators like me, no hard proof but just speculating from some whispers.  

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-says-it-will-take-time-to-see-the-a7siii-but-it-will-go-beyond-the-customers-expectations/

Looks like SAR's A7SIII gonna release anytime is wrong?

If they run the company like every other company out there they are not going to be making deals that undermine their flagship products. I don't need to be in senior management to know that. No company does that. 

The A7SIII will release when it was always going to be released. In other words, as soon as it is ready. They are not going to redesign the camera from scratch just because someone else came out with some other product.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, androidlad said:

Latest A7S III news from Weibo:

Production sample does not have IBIS.

Quad base ISO.

4K 120P confirmed.

NO IBIS? This must be a joke. 

All companies keep saying 4K60P is difficult to achieve for FF because of heat and processing power. And now we would have 4K120p? 

All that hard to believe. Hope the IBIS is not true at least. 

If no IBIS then it's a GH5S competitor.  Lots of pros use the A7SII for video work on gimbals, so it makes sense to have a version that goes after RED and the like.

4K 120 isn't so far fetched..  The data-rate for it is 4 times that of 4K30, and 8K30 is also 4 times that of 4K30.  I don't know where the most difficult part of a data pipeline is, but they're probably very similar engineering challenges.

If they're looking to differentiate it from the A7SII then those features will definitely do it, and it will mean that it's not completely replacing the previous model.

All of these are likely to be fake.

What we will see is either an A7RIII or an A9 body with a smaller megapixel BSI sensor (less rolling shutter) either the same or a newer EVF, a slight upgrade to the colour and built-in picture profiles (like FS5II) and at this point unknown framerates and codecs, a full-sized HDMI-connector with 10-bit 4:2:2 output is also possible and they may remove the record time limit (they are able to do that from next year with the new EU rules) if it does not overheat.

I would be very surprised if they've changed the body in any significant way and increase design and production costs. Yes, people would be happier with a flip-screen, but from their point of view they really don't need to do that, other features will sell it easily anyway.

And this time, the price will likely to be a fair bit more than the A7RIII as well.

23 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

lmao loving these new vids Mark has been putting out. Truth hurts.

The guy like most others is sharing his personal beliefs, take it or leave it. Honestly, most reaction videos on anything are pretty much useless, if they are not entertaining.That's even worse than holding a camera in your hand and telling your audience how great (or utter crap) it is.

I do understand why they do these kinds of videos, I just think that  the reason people like these is that they are a member of a camera group and it solidifies their beliefs, whatever that might be. Because if you haven't established yourself and don't love (or hate) something, people that share a different opinion will start to dislike you - even though the audience should care more about the person, rather than whatever gear he is using.

But the saddest thing is that I see people with great content, and they can't grow much, because they don't base their content around gear itself (which is how I've found them in the first place, which makes it even more ridiculous)

Maybe I should invest in an A7SIII as soon as possible, and do a decent review about it just to get going. That's how ridiculous this actually is.

1 hour ago, padam said:

All of these are likely to be fake.

What we will see is either an A7RIII or an A9 body with a smaller megapixel BSI sensor (less rolling shutter) either the same or a newer EVF, a slight upgrade to the colour and built-in picture profiles (like FS5II) and at this point unknown framerates and codecs, a full-sized HDMI-connector with 10-bit 4:2:2 output is also possible and they may remove the record time limit (they are able to do that from next year with the new EU rules) if it does not overheat.

I would be very surprised if they've changed the body in any significant way and increase design and production costs. Yes, people would be happier with a flip-screen, but from their point of view they really don't need to do that, other features will sell it easily anyway.

And this time, the price will likely to be a fair bit more than the A7RIII as well.

All of these are likely to be true, as it came from a Japanese semiconductor engineer who's involved in the development.

We'll see soon.