Magic Lantern successfully tested on 5D Mark IV

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, UltimateMale said:

Thrust me canon won't ever get my money anymore as i really feel let down by them. If i need more lens, i'll get the sigma art lens. The bmpcc4k is just too good

You guys crack me up with these comments s. Most camera users these days swing like pendulums. these camera manufacturers  will always have one USP that sways users every 3-4 years .Same anti - canon rebels would still be on the look out for what ML can come up with on canon cameras.

Yeah the timing kinda sucks. I wish they got this working 2 years ago. Would have saved me 6k haha. Hopefully with the faster processor and all we can get fluid playback and maybe hdmi out as well so we do not have to rely on the small screen. Pretty exited for this one. And I was sure to get the pocket 4k as a Bcam. But now I am getting drawn back in to Canon it seems. 

On 9/8/2018 at 7:52 PM, padam said:

In some way they do.

Because even if it will be working, I wonder how well it can record continuously, if the bitrate is even higher than the MJPEG, which almost maxes out the data transfer rate already.

Do you know what the max data transfer on the 5D IV is? Is it the same as on the 5D III? If so then it kinda sucks. I wish they would have used cfast 2.0 on the 5D IV. 
Because this wast the bottleneck on the 5D III right?  But maybe there is a possibility of dual slot? Writing one frame on the CF and one frame on the SD? Not sure if if possible? 

So what could we expect from the 5D IV RAW over the 5D III?

- 2K full frame RAW @ 60fps? continues
- Higher Iso (Not sure at this point until what point the 5D IV noise begins to settle in, the 5D III was iso 1600 max for me)
- 1 extra stop of DR
- Better playback
- HDMI for monitoring

3 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Do you know what the max data transfer on the 5D IV is? Is it the same as on the 5D III? If so then it kinda sucks. I wish they would have used cfast 2.0 on the 5D IV. 
Because this wast the bottleneck on the 5D III right?  But maybe there is a possibility of dual slot? Writing one frame on the CF and one frame on the SD? Not sure if if possible? 

- Higher Iso (Not sure at this point until what point the 5D IV noise begins to settle in, the 5D III was iso 1600 max for me)
- 1 extra stop of DR
- Better playback
- HDMI for monitoring

Absolutely. I've been thinking of upgrading to the BMPCC 4K but this would have the potential to sway me I think. Even little tweaks as stated above like better playback. It's embarrassing having the jittering greyscale playback when I do shoot ML if people wanna see footage I've caught on the day. Dual pixel AF obviously great.  2K - fantastic. 

If I went with the BMPCC then I'd have to buy an adaptor & CFast cards etc. If ML got working on the IV then I'd simply sell my MKIII and buy some more Komputerbay CF cards and perhaps a new monitor :) 

On 9/10/2018 at 10:59 AM, zerocool22 said:

- 1 extra stop of DR
- Better playback
- HDMI for monitoring

https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/canon-5d-mark-iv/sd-cf-card-speed-test/

Unfortunately they haven't tested the Mark III to have a side-by-side comparison but maybe you can check some other cameras to evaluate their capabilites.

But it is safe to say that it won't be that much quicker than the Mark III and since we aren't moving binned 1080p here at lower framerates there might be some issues (and the software is also different).

I think it will take a while to get to a stable firmware anyway, cameras are going out quicker and quicker (Panasonic FF 4k camera next year), it is not the Mark III days anymore.

For now, you can just simply donate Canon a little bit of money for the C-Log upgrade and shoot  really nice (although heavily cropped) video with the 5D IV with much better ISO and usable dynamic range. Very big file sizes but that ancient codec actually works well, as you can see here.

• 2 months later...

Any volunteers here that own a 5D IV(or a broken one) that could some tests for the magic lantern team so they can hopefully unleash the full potential of the 5D IV and unlock RAW recording? As they are looking for a pioneer to run the boot flag, when this is done hopefully dozens of other users will step in to test. 

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/in....msg209000#new