5d mark II RAW vs 5d mark III RAW?

stargazer

Been excitedly following all the news of the new Magic Lantern hack and watching videos. I really like what I'm seeing, however most of my attention at first went to all the mark III footage. Now I've discovered some mark II videos and it seems that the image characteristics of those two cameras are very different when shooting RAW video. Mark II now seems more filmic to my eye whereas mark III seems to be better in the technical specs and having much less aliasing problems. This is a new mark II video that brought me to this conclusion: https://vimeo.com/66667784

Which image to you prefer?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

It is a very low starting point to be judging raw quality from.

720p streaming on Vimeo, not even a download option!

Would rather see a direct head to head comparison of the 5D2 and 5D3 raw, because with raw there are too many user variables. It comes mainly to grading as to what kind of characteristic you're getting.

For me so far the 5D3's sensor looks the best, but I'm willing to be convinced by the 5D2 if I see anything that is genuinely the result of the sensor and not the user & workflow.

So far I haven't. Just a lot of aliasing and false detail, which in some ways makes the image pop.... But no thanks. I'd rather sharpen the 5D3's raw in post if I wanted this kind of pop and sharp image, than have unstable detail.

I have a BM Pocket on order and would be willing to cancel it if the 5D Mark II raw is good enough. Borrowed a friends 5D II, but imo the moire/aliasing is horrible... Almost unworkable if you are moving the camera's and there are bricks or other small details in shots with big dof. With people faces / nature it looks pretty good indeed.

Looks overly sharpened to me, but not bad overall.

Weirdly the thing that bugs me about this hack is seeing the images open up in Adobe Camera RAW and only be able to scale up to 1080p (give or take). I'm so used to 5D & GH2 stills res, never fails to be kind of underwhelming. But then once it's rendered out it's impressive again.

I'm liking these 5DmkII clips better than most of the 5DmkIII clips.  Maybe Andrew's right though and it's not that the camera is better it's just that these folks are better at grading than your average 5DmkIII owner.

;)

Yep, so far the 5D Deuce footage looks better, but there is no way to control for lighting/grading. Either way, nice job Dedipax!

Here is more 5D2 from  Anthony Yebra @ vimeo

https://vimeo.com/66946607

To call that a test is sort of an understatement.. :D

Keep an eye out for the 50D... I'm trying it right now. It's dirty cheep (for now...) and in terms of moire looks better than the 5DII to me. Resolution is a bit less, but at 1592x840 (not completely without frame drops yet, 1592x720 is) I'm sure it will hold up against standard 1080p on most hdslrs.

I shot a 5D II clip yesterday, will upload some DNG's for you guys to judge.

• 8 months later...

Just shot this with the mark 2 raw at high iso, quality is pretty good:

According to magic lantern forums, the 5d mark 3 is the way to go for shooting raw though.

It has better low light performance, and it can shoot full hd when the mark 2 cannot.

The only reason I used the mark 2 here is because it was what was available to me.

Really interested to try the raw on the mark 3, must be pretty amazing.

I don't see any reason why the mark 2 footage would look better, actually I assume it must be the opposite.

Hey Karim. That's a very nice vid. What was your workflow with the 5d2 raw footage?

Thanks, I'm not the one to ask for magiclantern workflows as I have only used it once in that vid.

But I can tell you that the new .mlv module is very handy.

You can preview your files in camera and watch them on your computer with the mlv player.

So that is a big improvement over the old .raw format.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.0

Regarding post-production workflow I always use the same.

I have a creative cloud subscription so I always use; premiere, speedgrade, and after effects.

Thanks, I'm not the one to ask for magiclantern workflows as I have only used it once in that vid.

But I can tell you that the new .mlv module is very handy.

You can preview your files in camera and watch them on your computer with the mlv player.

So that is a big improvement over the old .raw format.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.0

Regarding post-production workflow I always use the same.

I have a creative cloud subscription so I always use; premiere, speedgrade, and after effects.

Thanks Karim. I had no idea that there were two raw recording options in ml. BTW I noticed with the MLV raw version that I could record over 3k on the 5d2. Haven't imported this footage to confirm yet... you mentioned that the 5d2 doesn't even do hd in raw, so not sure if you tried the mlv raw setting?

Thanks Karim. I had no idea that there were two raw recording options in ml. BTW I noticed with the MLV raw version that I could record over 3k on the 5d2. Haven't imported this footage to confirm yet... you mentioned that the 5d2 doesn't even do hd in raw, so not sure if you tried the mlv raw setting?

I was limited by the speed of my card so I could not record any higher than I did.

What I meant by full hd is the ability to record continuously, not super short clips.

I based that statement off this chart:

raw-chart.png

but things move very fast in magic lantern so maybe with the mlv format the capacities have been extended