Apparently Canon Rumors is giving away an EOS R - Now let's make sure they give it to Magic Lantern

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

EOS-R-Magic-Lantern.jpg

Look!

Magic Lantern want an EOS R.

And I know just the guy to give them one...

As you can see, Magic Lantern tweeted @ Canon Rumors that they would very much like an EOS R body.

Well together my friends, we can make this happen!

Be ready tomorrow morning Eastern time.

This is when Canon Rumors are starting the competition. All you need to do is enter it. Do whatever's required, even if it involves stupid hashtags like #BeTheRevolution

If you're chosen simply reply that you wish for Magic Lantern to have the camera.

In return, I'll mention your heroic act on the blog.

And if Canon Rumors doesn't end up putting that EOS R body in Magic Lantern's direction, I'll simply point out the truth, that the site Canon once threatened to close down has finally SOLD OUT to the PR machine in a fit of hashtags and Canon giveaways. Yes, the site that leaks and plunders the camera industry for whatever they can find, has finally been tamed!

But Canon Rumors have this chance to redeem themselves.

Give the camera to Magic Lantern.

Contact Canon Rumors here and urge them to support Magic Lantern with the unit

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

I'm all for this, but wasn't there some kind of agreement that Canon won't hassle the Magic Lantern people as long as they don't hack their most current line up? Or something along those lines anyway... 

That is what I thought. 

Plus ML has to stay away from their C series. 

Just now, OliKMIA said:

I don't know why people get so excited about ML. They haven't released any final firmware for years now. The latest stable builds were for the the 5D3, the 6D, the 70D and the 700D... which are 5-6 years old cameras...

https://builds.magiclantern.fm/

Because they made the cameras who are already 6 years old look better then most cameras released today.  But yeah it has been a while, and it def needs a fresh wind. This camera could might deliver that. 1080p 60fps RAW. Which would make this an awesome camera for me. 

• Administrators

I think the problem is user-related than ML :)

They got 3.5K RAW out of the 2012 5D Mark III, and the response on here was pretty underwhelming. I wrote a big guide about how to get it working, and again, not much interest. The original raw video ML on the 5D III got a LOT more interest.

So I suggest, people should be more excited about this stuff than they actually are. Have we become spoilt? Have we just got lazy?

I don't understand why more of you aren't making use of that incredible 3.5K image.

Just now, Andrew Reid said:

They got 3.5K RAW out of the 2012 5D Mark III, and the response on here was pretty underwhelming. I wrote a big guide about how to get it working, and again, not much interest. The original raw video ML on the 5D III got a LOT more interest.

So I suggest, people should be more excited about this stuff than they actually are. Have we become spoilt? Have we just got lazy?

I don't understand why more of you aren't making use of that incredible 3.5K image.

Well I dont like to use 4K RAW. I only need full HD RAW. but I guess if they would hack this camera the RAW for 1080p would be cropped.

1 minute ago, OliKMIA said:

I don't know why people get so excited about ML. They haven't released any final firmware for years now. The latest stable builds were for the the 5D3, the 6D, the 70D and the 700D... which are 5-6 years old cameras...

Hmm... well if you’re a narrative, documentary, commercial, or music video filmmaker, you can get professional, full frame, cinema level results with a $1500 camera.

I’m not even that talented but my work looked exponentially better after one afternoon of using my 5D3 and ML Raw for the first time.

I’ve even received a reply on Vimeo of a test I did, that took less than 20 minutes to shoot, edit and color, that said the footage looked like it could have been shot with an Alexa.

Family and friends have repeatedly said that my B-Roll looks like a movie they would see in the theatres.

Sure, they’re benign reviews for some test footage and B-Roll, for my film, but I wasn’t getting anywhere near those kinds of remarks with any previous camera I used.

So for me, a serious narrative hobbyist... a full frame cinema camera in a DSLR body for $2000 or less... umm... what’s not to like?

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Well I dont like to use 4K RAW. I only need full HD RAW. but I guess if they would hack this camera the RAW for 1080p would be cropped.

No it wouldn't. The raw frame buffer is the same sensor area as the stock compressed H.264 1080p. You don't get full-width 1080p from a cropped frame buffer.

It is pixel binned though.

9 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I’m going to have to buy your guide. I messed around with it for a week or so but couldn’t get a workable liveview... I’m sure it was user error. But since I love the 1080p FF Raw out of the camera, I still think it’s the best camera available for what I am doing.

6 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Because they made the cameras who are already 6 years old look better then most cameras released today. 

Yes, I have ML on all my Canon camera, this is great. My point is that they haven't released a final firmware of a recent camera over the past 5-6 years to I have low expectation for the Canon R. This is a turd and I'm not going to buy one hoping that ML may fix it in the future.

5 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Because the files are gigantic, because you need to transcode, because the 3.5k raw has crop. It's a great tool to have but not very flexible. And yes, I think we became lazy with the Sony and GH camera.

1 hour ago, OliKMIA said:

Yup, the odds of seeing a ML hack is roughly the same as the odds combined of a new Samsung body, Sony, or Panasonic body getting hacked. (after all the excitement of a GH2, basically everything non-ML died away. Aside from some bits and bobs, like NikonHacker doing a few things, or the now dead NX1, or G7 etc get time unlocked, etc)

So basically the odds are not non-existent, but they are slim. 

Seems like they might not be doing it anymore?

8 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I, sadly, don't have a Mark III, but I just recently bought an EOS M for $160 so I could do uncropped 1736x1120 ML raw video, and I'm loving it. #Notspoiledhere