Why the camera press need to grow a pair of balls

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah either pretty ballsy or pretty stupid. Not too sure I would have done that. I mean you can do that about damn near Any camera. I guess they really pissed him off LoL.

It's nothing but click bait. Wolfcrow knows what everyone is talking about at the moment and pulled that 50 reasons video just to get views. You could also do an extremely similar 50 reasons to buy a GH5 over an Alexa, Weapon, Mavo, F55 etc. Nothing really informative about it. 

Resolve itself has thousands of features the GH5 doesn't........remember, it comes with the Pocket4K!

Vloggers should not be taken seriously. They are easily swayed.......all of them!

7 minutes ago, A_Urquhart said:

It's nothing but click bait. Wolfcrow knows what everyone is talking about at the moment and pulled that 50 reasons video just to get views. You could also do an extremely similar 50 reasons to buy a GH5 over an Alexa, Weapon, Mavo, F55 etc. Nothing really informative about it. 

Resolve itself has thousands of features the GH5 doesn't........remember, it comes with the Pocket4K!

Vloggers should not be taken seriously. They are easily swayed.......all of them!

I guess Andrew should give up vlogging then, huh?

7 hours ago, jonpais said:

Every YouTuber should be so bold as to get sent a review copy then immediately release a video of the fifty reasons why to buy the competition’s camera. 

In general, what I’m also seeing is that favorable reviews and tests tend to get republished, quoted and shared on other blogs, websites and forums far more often than unvavorable ones.

I quite liked that video. It was quite clear from the video that it was not about the GH5 being a better camera, but that they are two different types of cameras. The video was more about the GH5 than the P4K, and I even learned a few new things about the GH5. If some of his info was factually wrong, then that should of course be corrected. It would't surprise me if he will release a video about 50 reasons to pick the P4K over the GH5 later.

• Administrators

There are a lot of different strategies at play, I've chosen mine and I'm going to stick to it. I've enough experience of the other one to know it doesn't really lead anywhere. You can have friends at every company and get sent anything you like, you can go to event after event... But the bottom line is, if all this had zero effect on the coverage and reviews, WHY are they doing it in the first place? It costs them a lot of money when done on the scale of the Hawaii event!

Actually putting my own money down on a camera, to use, rather than just to review, makes the coverage more interesting as it's documenting a real-life process, not fabrication.

I'm happy to review smaller items from smaller companies that need the exposure for something unique and inventive, like Speed Boosters, lens adapters, or something from SLR Magic like a new anamorphic.

When it comes to the rest (large scale PR activities) my advice to all bloggers... just be extremely careful.

39 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I'm not stopping!

Neither should Andrew

Just we can pick a different (and better) path than Wolfcrow has been doing over the years

What you do is your own business, but the meaning of my comment was crystal clear - that Andrew should not stop vlogging. 

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I'm not stopping!

Neither should Andrew

Just we can pick a different (and better) path than Wolfcrow has been doing over the years

Sorry, I should clarify my rather broad use of the term 'all vloggers' by saying I meant the major players in the vlogging world. And while I don't think Andrew should stop, it has been shown that even he can be easily swayed. 

• Administrators

How am I "easily swayed" exactly, smarty pants?

And don't think I didn't notice the veiled "not a major player" insult. Unless you can also write a camera blog that has 450,000 visits per month, I don't really think you're quite yet in the position to call someone a bit player ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Super Members
On 9/5/2018 at 6:00 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Publish and be damned?

I was watching the BBC's tech show Click last night and it included a feature about Photokina.

Look what happens when someone speaks to a manufacturer as a journalist rather than an affiliate link peddler and look how fucking shocked and wrong footed the guy from Canon is by it !!

(its at 4:07 if it doesn't auto start there)

• Administrators
1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Look what happens when someone speaks to a manufacturer as a journalist rather than an affiliate link peddler and look how fucking shocked and wrong footed the guy from Canon is by it !!

Yeah I saw that on the BBC iPlayer the other day. Was surprisingly tough questioning - he clearly knows his cameras!! I honestly hadn't expected it from a BBC tech journalist, but he was giving the Canon guy exactly the kind of hard-time I would have done!!

7 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I was watching the BBC's tech show Click last night and it included a feature about Photokina.

(its at 4:07 if it doesn't auto start there)

If it had been a smaller player than BBC then I bet one of two things would have happened, or both:
1) they'd only have got to interview a low end person, some Sony booth helper perhaps
2) the Sony guy would dodged the question then have cut the interview short and walked off (maybe he did already do this... it was a surprisingly small segment in that video clip? Would love to see the full interview!!)