Fast Editing For 5D3 RAW using PS and PPro

jcs

1. Convert to DNG with raw2dng

2. Open all DNGs with Photoshop CS6, this opens up ACR

3. Press Select All and Synchronize (upper left on screen)

4. Grade, do noise reduction, etc.

5. Press Save All and save to JPG at 100% (grading is done, so 8-bit is OK).

6. In Premiere CS6, import first JPG, then press checkbox for Image Squence.

7. Modify clip- Interpret Footage as 23.976.

This is pretty fast once you do it a few times (much faster than an AE workflow), and plays back in real-time in Premiere. To get a 10-bit 422 workflow, Cinema 5D recommended saving first to 16-bit TIF, then converting to ProRes (Mac. On PC can do DNxHD, etc.).

A 4GB RAW file produces around 270MB in 100% quality JPGs (47 seconds).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Will PNGs retain all the color information?  I'd like to try this since doing the AE workflow is dog slow.  Where do I find raw2png?  And will interpreting footage to 24P help?  I find in AE I still have to conform EACH clip to 120% speed, just changing the comp to 24P doesn't work.

Don't open all the DNG's in CS6/ACR, that's unnecessary.

1. Open Photoshop

2. Open Bridge (File, Browse in Bridge)

3. Navigate to your DNG's, open one DNG of your sequence and edit it, just press 'done' when finnished.

4. Back to bridge, select the edited DNG, right click > develop settings > copy settings.

5. Select all DNG's from the sequence, right click > develop settings > paste settings.

6. Select all > right click > export to > hard drive, etc!

Exporting the frames takes most of the time. You could first grade all your shots, copy all the settings, when everything is done select all your shots (probably in seperate folders, just sellect the folders), export everything while you take a break.. :)

For windows users there is a great app to create a quick proxy, you can use it to preview your files for example.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5557.0

And will interpreting footage to 24P help?  I find in AE I still have to conform EACH clip to 120% speed, just changing the comp to 24P doesn't work.

nahua, you're doing this wrong - you need to interpret your image sequences as 23.976, and set your sequences to 23.976. Then they will play back at the correct 24fps without any interpolation or repeated frames.

You can go a step further and go to Preferences/Import and set 23.976 as your default framerate so that new image sequences that get imported already have the right framerate.