EOS R official video specs discussion

Andrew Reid

2 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Only one roll slot.. what a noob. And its not even FF or 4K ;)

BTS_IMAGEa.GIF.cd54cbe96c58d2d605f47c9a8d4fc16a.GIF

Mate to hear people talking it is insane. To keep things in focus with a FF camera u better have a damn good focus puller. For the kind of intimate stories that most people here do and that most of the indie community does s16 was the gold standard. I have s16 and don't have to worry that I don't have autofocus. People on here are like oh ye gotta have full frame at 1.2 so only an eyelash is in focus. Like come one. In my view the Canon allows me to tell better stories than a sony, Nikon or Fuji does. Crop is just numbers.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
45 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Who here says they need FF f/1.2?

I love full frame; I don’t need f/1.2. 

Tell better stories with Canon bcs of the crop?

I call BS.

Just keep on posting videos by paid shills.

Each his own, friend. Crop makes it easier to pull focus was my point. For anyone looking at your work I guarantee they won't know the difference between crop and full frame. Like I said s16 was the gold standard for indie production work where you dont have a focus puller (and that's compared to s35). The 10 bit footage coming out of the canon is undeniably better than the images I used to get with my sony so that improves my stories a lot more than having non-crop, which is a number.  

23 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

God I hope this place doesn't become somewhere that treats every professional who gets a pre-production model of a camera as being a shill. Trump like.

Whatever. The fellow said he was going to focus on video, I watched for eight minutes, not a word about the 1.7x crop, 120fps 720p, no IBIS, no zebras. Lots of talk of the miracle of short flange distances, as though Canon invented mirrorless. Shill behavior.

The problem I am having with all of the negative nancy’s around here is that they live in such a bubble. As said ad nauseum, sure nobody WANTS the crop, but the camera has it. If it isn’t your cup of tea, COOL! But nobody has said the image looks bad. Because so far, everything I’ve seen from the camera looks great. A thick image with great AF and great colors. People live in such bubbles here. If any of you were forced to shoot with it and forced to deal with the crop, I’m sure you guys would get amazing results. 

1 minute ago, mercer said:

The problem I am having with all of the negative nancy’s around here is that they live in such a bubble. As said ad nauseum, sure nobody WANTS the crop, but the camera has it. If it isn’t your cup of tea, COOL! But nobody has said the image looks bad. Because so far, everything I’ve seen from the camera looks great. A thick image with great AF and great colors. People live in such bubbles here. If any of you were forced to shoot with it and forced to deal with the crop, I’m sure you guys would get amazing results. 

Number one, no bubble here. Just the fellow said he was going to focus on video and I watched for like 7 or 8 minutes, and no mention of the crop factor. No mention of lack of IBIS. No mention of lack of zebras, if in fact that's so. No mention of lack of 1080p 120fps. Those are all important things to know for anyone interested in shooting video. Lack of zebras and IBIS alone would be a dealbreaker for me. YMMV.

41 minutes ago, mercer said:

And what about the ”everything is awesome" bubble boys!

22 minutes ago, Dan Sherman said:

And what about the ”everything is awesome" bubble boys!

I don’t watch any of that stuff. I tried watching that dslr dude’s video and got 5 minutes in and was bored out of my gourd. He should have led with some footage. All it left me with was that I was impressed with the GH5s he started shooting his video with.

My point was that sure there are issues with the EOS-R. But there are issues with all cameras. For me, IQ is the most important spec and from what I have seen this camera has it in spades. Within 3 months there will be hundreds of users on IG or YT or Vimeo with great looking footage from the camera even with the crop. But if the crop is a dealbreaker for you, or anybody else, I get that too.

Right, of course Spielberg doesn’t care about IBIS, flippy screens or zebras, ‘cause he’s got a grip, boom operator, colorist, costume designers, a DIT, focus puller, foley artist, gaffer, lighting technicians, a DOP, assistant directors, location scouts, production assistants, props builders, script supervisors, set decorators and sound designers, steadicam operators, vfx supervisors and on and on. 

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

Whatever. The fellow said he was going to focus on video, I watched for eight minutes, not a word about the 1.7x crop, 120fps 720p, no IBIS, no zebras. Lots of talk of the miracle of short flange distances, as though Canon invented mirrorless. Shill behavior.

Cineable sell cameras, so they are gonna promote the camera's plus points rather than point out the negatives (same for all brands, and the same if they get a pre-production camera or not)... This does not make them paid shills though, you know that. Personally, I woudn't use something like that video to make any buying choices, but that onus is on the buyer to get info from various sources. 

Just saying "Paid shill" is naive at best though.

4 minutes ago, jonpais said:

What is odd to me is that someone would even bother to post that rubbish. Even if you don’t care about the features I mentioned, the video is pretty much worthless.

I've got no issue with that. Though would argue some of the footage at the end looked nice (not enough of it though).

TBH, I am ONLY interested in seeing footage and key features like how AF works, I can get the spec sheet myself.