EOS R official video specs discussion

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Oh well in that case we should ALL run out and buy it then! The masses are always right! Follow the crowd!

I am switching to iMovie immediately and buying Canon stock.

Anything that helps me shoot more cinematic footage, huh?!

Yeah because that’s what I wrote and definitely the spirit behind my comment. Canon stock may be a smart move, do your due diligence though.

I don’t care what anybody chooses to shoot with. I’ve owned more Panasonic and Sony cameras than Canon.

But by the responses in these threads, people truly believe Canon will be out of the camera business because the EOS-R has a 4K crop. And I’m the one who’s out of touch around here...

As far as cinematic footage goes... Idk, you seem to be a pretty good colorist, so I’m sure you can pull a nice image out of most cameras you shoot with. In fact, I would love to see you use the cheapest of cameras to their fullest extent. Everybody always says the talent and skills of the shooter/editor are more important than the camera, so a series of short films using entry level cameras could be very interesting and helpful to beginner filmmakers? 

2 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I can see it in 4 years time...

Panasonic, Sony and (maybe) Fuji all release full frame 8k cameras with 6k 100fps, great AF, 10 bit 4:2:2, no crop etc (and they cook your dinner and brush your hair). 

Canon FINALLY announce the EOS-R Mk. II with a world first internal full frame RAW!! (but the RAW is 720p only and doesn't work with DPAF. It will only work in higher res if you're filming a cow or a sheep on Sunday afternoons). ???

But neither the Panasonic or Sony will make you a cup of coffee, and there will be hundred page threads about how come they can cook you dinner but can't do something as simple as make you a cup of coffee??

8 minutes ago, Shield3 said:

Why not just grab an 80d + 10-18STM then, vloggers?  Far cheaper.

That’s the point I’m making. For only a grand more, you’re getting good 1080p with more AF points and better manual focus aids with more manual lens options. You’re also getting Canon Log and a handicapped 4K if you need it for the occasional shoot. And if you need a little more juice, you can output 10bit 4:22 4K.

Of course, the X-T3 seems to be a damn good camera, so if the AF gets you 75% of what Canon offers, that could be a great option as well.

20 hours ago, jonpais said:

Not necessarily. The Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM has a T stop of 1.5. Likewise the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM.

This really depends on the sensor and how well it copes with light coming in at very wide-angles. They are T1.3 with film. With the lower angles from the RF mount they should be somewhere in-between film and EF sensors.

1 hour ago, mercer said:

The fact of the matter is this... 95% of the people who will buy this camera are still shooters. If they shoot any video, it will be 1080p and they’ll use iMovie to edit it.

Half of the remaining 5% will be vloggers and only half of them will shoot in 4K.

The remaining 2.5% are video enthusiasts that shoot family videos or clips documenting their hobby and only half of them will shoot in 4K.

But for a fair guesstimate let’s overestimate and say 5% or less  of the actual customers will shoot in 4K.

I fit square in the middle of video hobbyist/enthusiast and if I ever buy the camera, I would guess I’ll shoot 75% of my stuff in 1080p.

So yes, the 4K Crop sucks, nobody is denying that, but as a company, Canon understands their market and when you honestly look at the market, no wonder Canon is number 1.

Surely all Canon need to do is make a fourth EF-RF adaptor that has Speed-Booster style optics for 4k. They could label it as a Cinema lens thingy to avoid confusing people. If the adaptor electronics is pass-thought I'd assume metabones and the others will have devices really rather soon.

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

Which cameras from 2015 with equal DPAF are you referring to?

My humor might have got lost in translation. 

33 minutes ago, Shield3 said:

Why not just grab an 80d + 10-18STM then, vloggers?  Far cheaper.

Unfortunately that is exactly what they do. 
Which funds Canon to carry on with their complacency. 

47 minutes ago, mercer said:

That’s the point I’m making. For only a grand more, you’re getting good 1080p with more AF points and better manual focus aids with more manual lens options. You’re also getting Canon Log and a handicapped 4K if you need it for the occasional shoot. And if you need a little more juice, you can output 10bit 4:22 4K.

Of course, the X-T3 seems to be a damn good camera, so if the AF gets you 75% of what Canon offers, that could be a great option as well.

I'm seeing quite a few 80d used for $699 and new for $767 on ebay.  Plus you wouldn't need the extra R-EF adapter.  Much closer to $1500 or more (double) the cost.  But you're not going to shoot FF with the 10-18 on the R, right?  So you're 1.7x in 4k plus you'll have to buy another lens to do full-frame 1080 on the R.  Unless you can flip into S35 mode, which seems like a huge waste of extra money.  Speaking of course for the causal "vlogger" here - people that think we want to watch them go somewhere and have dumb opinions on things (not my forte).

Ironically, and sadly, your field of view would be wider with the 80d + 10-18 STM, better battery life (no EVF) and pretty good vlogging AF.  Now granted I've never liked the 70/80d's image, but it does AF pretty well and have the flip out screen.

On 9/3/2018 at 3:47 AM, MdB said:

C700 is underwhelming? Done a lot of production on it?

No, because the C700 is like a bazooka and cameras a fraction of its price can match or even exceed it’s performance. 

Canon still don’t have an answer to the FS7 after 4 years. The C300 II was undercooked and Sony took the rental market for that segment off them (at least in the UK). 

I’m not a Canon basher, I just wish they’d stop being so boring. I love the Canon look, the reliability and ease of use, the lenses. My wife’s Canon stills are simply beautiful and in comparison destroys the colour in my videos. 

They do have a strong brand which gets them loads of sales. But it’s perfectly clear now though, that Canon are falling more and more behind with video by their less than ideal decisions. They need to be more creative and innovate for video users. DPAF and colour science USP’s won’t last forever when the competition are so, so close behind. 

If everyone is so bothered by the crop,  I guess the new blackmagic pk4 is off the list? My C200 is cropped, but somehow it has never bothered me.  

Personally I find too much dof is not helpful for video.  If it does not support the story it has no place.  And usually when sorry telling you want context,  which is hard to show when the background is consistently nothing but blurry bokeh. 

Full frame is mostly for stills. Most film is shot on Super 35. This camera can do both in their ideal format.  What's the problem? Plus the footage looks good. It has mojo. 

Looks pretty dam filmic to me... 

15 hours ago, mercer said:

Canon understands their market and when you honestly look at the market, no wonder Canon is number 1.

14 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Oh well in that case we should ALL run out and buy it then! The masses are always right! Follow the crowd!

Only reason why Canon is still number 1 is because of the extremely cheap and readily available Rebel bodies. Its cameras like the 4000D (£330/€380) that keep them at the top. Then again market share isn't everything. Its all about turning a profit so being No.1 doesn't really mean anything. 

Because of brand awareness and loyalty Canon is the only camera company that could release a product as horrific as the 6Dmk2 and it still be met with "some" praise. 

1 hour ago, DBounce said:

What's the problem? Plus the footage looks good. It has mojo. 

Looks pretty dam filmic to me..

720p in 2018? Looks horrible by today's standards. (don't confuse content for image quality)

Is there a version of this video in 1080p? I suppose there isn't 4K version because of rolling shutter, and they wanted to show action.

3 hours ago, DBounce said:

If everyone is so bothered by the crop,  I guess the new blackmagic pk4 is off the list? My C200 is cropped, but somehow it has never bothered me.  

Exactly.

If a person doesn't care about "crop" they will buy the BMPCC4K

Or

GH5

Or

GH5S

Or

X-T3

Or

a6700 (when it arrives)

Or

You can see where this is going by now....

Basically -people will not buy the Canon EOS R

2 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

Only reason why Canon is still number 1 is because of the extremely cheap and readily available Rebel bodies. Its cameras like the 4000D (£330/€380) that keep them at the top. Then again market share isn't everything. Its all about turning a profit so being No.1 doesn't really mean anything. 

Because of brand awareness and loyalty Canon is the only camera company that could release a product as horrific as the 6Dmk2 and it still be met with "some" praise. 

This is why all of Canon's competitors need to not neglect their bottom end entry level cameras. They need to keep on updating them every other year, keep on giving them a little feature bump. 

Imagine say a "Panasonic G100" (with a kit lens, though would be nice if it started at 12mm instead of the usual low priced 14-42mm) priced sub $500 with simply a G7 that got the newer 20 megapixel sensor in it (with 4K 30fps no crop), and nothing else. 

And Nikon and Sony need to hurry up and bring out new low low priced APS-C mirrorless cameras. 

As this is how you build up your brand with a large base of users (which is your main 1st source of buyers who will purchase your more expensive products in the future). 

2 hours ago, Marekich said:

720p in 2018? Looks horrible by today's standards. (don't confuse content for image quality)

Is there a version of this video in 1080p? I suppose there isn't 4K version because of rolling shutter, and they wanted to show action.

The one on Devin's channel has a 4K option:

• Super Members
23 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Basically -people will not buy the Canon EOS R.

You are making the same mistake over and over. You assume that none of them want the unique features that the EOS-R offers.

This is what happens when people get blinded by fan rage. They miss the things that are right there in front of them. Just by reading the spec sheet you see things that no other camera offers. Some will actually want those things.

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Exactly.

If a person doesn't care about "crop" they will buy the BMPCC4K

Or

GH5

Or

GH5S

Or

X-T3

Or

a6700 (when it arrives)

Or

You can see where this is going by now....

Basically -people will not buy the Canon EOS R

This is why all of Canon's competitors need to not neglect their bottom end entry level cameras. They need to keep on updating them every other year, keep on giving them a little feature bump. 

Imagine say a "Panasonic G100" (with a kit lens, though would be nice if it started at 12mm instead of the usual low priced 14-42mm) priced sub $500 with simply a G7 that got the newer 20 megapixel sensor in it (with 4K 30fps no crop), and nothing else. 

And Nikon and Sony need to hurry up and bring out new low low priced APS-C mirrorless cameras. 

As this is how you build up your brand with a large base of users (which is your main 1st source of buyers who will purchase your more expensive products in the future). 

The one on Devin's channel has a 4K option:

A lot of shots in that video are not 4k but 720p upscaled with a sharp mask, i suppose because of framerates limits in 4k and 1080p, the whole grope inside the plane for example.