EOS R official video specs discussion

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Yeah, when will people learn exactly?

$5600 just to get up and shooting with a 50mm, that is a wobbly un-stabilized 90mm in video mode.

Why not buy a Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K for that much?

Or spend it on a Sony / Nikon or Panasonic?

I hope the EOS R disaster is a wake-up call for Canon fans.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Anyone else see the official canon video stating that the RF line will not end up replacing the EF, but just another choice? They obviously left out the dual card slot to prevent it from being a pro still choice and enraging current 5d iv owners. I really want to just go Sony or Nikon, but im not going to buy old nikon dslr glass to adapt, or wait 3 years for them to make faster mirrorless primes. Sony has everything on paper, but that af still isn't good enough in video (breathing, problems with inanimate objects etc.), colors and terrible looking 120p fhd. 

12 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

Anyone else see the official canon video stating that the RF line will not end up replacing the EF, but just another choice? They obviously left out the dual card slot to prevent it from being a pro still choice and enraging current 5d iv owners. I really want to just go Sony or Nikon, but im not going to buy old nikon dslr glass to adapt, or wait 3 years for them to make faster mirrorless primes. Sony has everything on paper, but that af still isn't good enough in video (breathing, problems with inanimate objects etc.), colors and terrible looking 120p fhd. 

Yeah, I'm with you. Colors + focus is still unbeatable IMO. Sony is getting there, but still needs some time. 

Another thing for me, as stupid as that sounds - the swivel screen. I really like it for shooting and it's something I am very happy to see in the EOS R. There just aren't many pro cameras (Sony, Nikon, Canon) out there that have it. Sure, Panasonic ones do, but AF of the GH5 is horrendous. I'm having high hopes for Panasonics FF camera now and hope they incorporate a lot of the design learnings from the GH5 into it.

Just really worried about the focus system... I want it to be good but I fear it's not going to be able to match with Sony 

My wish list for any camera:

• Good AF 
  • Swivel screen
  • 1080p/120fps, 4k/30fps 4:2:2
  • (IBIS)

1 hour ago, Django said:

I guess you were shooting 1080p because XH1 has a 4K crop. In fact it's almost the exact same crop (1.7x). It's less noticeable with native lenses cuz they're made for APS-C but it wouldn't be the ideal candidate for that type of job, again unless you're shooting 1080p in which case the EOS R would also not give you a crop in between stills/video.

But the 4k Crop is 1.17x from APS-C, so 1.5x to 1.76x -- it's a tiny crop compared to 1x to 1.7x. My 16mm becomes an 18.7mm, so in full frame terms it's going 24mm to a 28mm. I can handle that. But with the EOS R it would turn my 24mm to a 40mm, which is a completely different lens.

I'm not saying people are wrong to feel underwhelmed, but it's pretty wild that Canon released a $2300 camera with C-Log and 10 bit 4:2:2 out via HDMI to such negative response. I'm not blown away, and it's not nearly enough to intrigue me into seriously considering this camera, but that was more than I was expecting. 

I still think it will put a dent into Sony and make them feel the heat by lessening the number of people that will switch from Canon to Sony. Not that they deserve it, as it's clearly a stop gap camera, but I think it'll serve what Canon set out for it to do. 

• Administrators
52 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Bloody hell Canon. 

What a complete load of crap for video users. 

Even Fuji is ahead of Canon for video in a compact form factor. 

Glad to be sticking with Panasonic! 

The X-T3 is about to drop and looks amazing. 4K 60p 10bit internal Super 35mm. That is a first and I am amazed the company that showed ZERO interest in video until only about 2 years ago has been the one to do it.

The 28-70 F2 in Caleb's picture above, is a valid size comparison to me. He knows he's not comparing like for like, it' just what he had on him and it's a good size comparison because we're familiar with the size of the GH5.

The 28-70 is absolutely enormous and mega heavy. Nearly 2kg like the old BMCC.

Canon can fool their customers but they can't fool physics ;)

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

The 28-70 is absolutely enormous and mega heavy. Nearly 2kg like the old BMCC.

1.4kg is 'nearly' 2kg? Maybe it's 'nearly' a tonne? 

Obviously it is heavy, but it really isn't much bigger than (say) my 85mm Art. That's hardly massive. People shoot with 70-200mm f/2.8's every, single, day. Let's have some perspective. Also there are plenty of UWA lenses that are getting in this same territory, I don't hear to hand wringing about that. 

21 minutes ago, gingercat said:

Wonder if there’s people out there that get in lather about sewing  machine brands that don’t have the features they want.

Absolutely! Those Singer fanboys are militant ;) 

6 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

When I die, I want Canon to lower my casket at my funeral so they can let me down one last time.

Zing!

7 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

Actually I dont think we really 'know this.' In fact nearly all the shortfall in performance seems to point to Canon being unable to pull data off the sensor fast enough - heavily cropped 4k, rolling shutter in cropped 4k, no 1080 120p, relatively poor fps in photos, no continuous eye focus etc... And the problem with mirrorless is that it is very sensor dependent. If Canon is behind here and cant catch up, this will be a bigger problem long term than simply starting with an underwhelming entry level camera.

Honestly the 1DX II sensor would have probably 'fixed' all the complaints. But being Canon they would have come thick and fast anyway. There seems to be some weird genuine rage at this camera (and company... and anyone who isn't enraged). I think a 1DX II sensor version is coming. People will probably cry about it too. But 'maybe' they will have slightly less rage. 

8 minutes ago, MdB said:

Honestly the 1DX II sensor would have probably 'fixed' all the complaints. But being Canon they would have come thick and fast anyway. There seems to be some weird genuine rage at this camera (and company... and anyone who isn't enraged). I think a 1DX II sensor version is coming. People will probably cry about it too. But 'maybe' they will have slightly less rage. 

Yeah but they seem to just Half-Ass everything as of late and still want top dollar! God there seems to be no end to it. It's not rage as much as serious frustration. God they had a chance to Kill everyone on this, but NO!

They dropped the ball.

ball.gif

11 hours ago, jonpais said:

It would be even funnier if they gave us a 4K crop smaller than APS-C, wasted valuable real estate on a dedicated on/off wheel; and a silent shutter that isn't silent for continuous shooting.

Ha!

But wait.... ! They have a firmware update coming for silent shooting

This kinda smells like Canon feels threatened by the Nikon Z7/Z6 (and Sony & the rest) and felt forced to rush something out, even though it wasn't ready to Canon's standards.