EOS R official video specs discussion

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Nikon Z7 has it for breakfast.

About the only improvement over the 5D Mark IV seems to be substituting MJPEG for H.264. Not that it was overdue or anything!

https://www.eoshd.com/2018/09/here-are-the-official-video-specs-of-the-canon-eos-r-full-frame-mirrorless/

About only thing I can hope for is that the 4K is somehow full frame and not a crop but I honestly just think it is a 5D Mark IV in a mirrorless body, looking at the specs sheet, rather than anything really new.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
1 minute ago, Jn- said:

The uhd data rate at 480mbps ALL-I is good, fhd at 90mbps 24fps not too bad either, athough GH5 fhd is 200mbps.

SD card is cheaper than say CFast.

480Mbit is similar to MJPEG. It's inefficient. Per frame, no quality increase over the 120Mbit IPB.

On paper, I'm disappointed but not totally surprised. It's a totally conservative move done so they can drip feed updates on future camera models while protecting the cinema.  It's a step in the right direction. I'm interested in the new lenses and the secondary control ring more than the camera now. Looking forward to the Panasonic announcement, they are sure to at least be on par with Sony. 

I would kind of be amazed if it doesn't have 10bit with HDMI out. Both the Nikon Z6 and Z7 have 10 bit out. You know Canon and Nikon have moles in each others company's. I can't believe Canon would let Nikon outdo them with that spec. 

Now with no IBIS stated that sounds crazy in this day and age if true. That would be almost a given if they want to go for the Vlogger crowd. At least it has a flippy screen. ?

17 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I would kind of be amazed if it doesn't have 10bit with HDMI out. Both the Nikon Z6 and Z7 have 10 bit out. You know Canon and Nikon have moles in each others company's. I can't believe Canon would let Nikon outdo them with that spec. 

Don't forget that Nikon doesn't have a cinema line of cameras to protect. I bet no 10-bit anything.

Nikon has the freedom of not cannibalizing a video camera lines. If I was Nikon I would make even a more video centric version just to put pressure on Canon and Sony to cannibalize their video product line or even take some business away from them. If they were able to make a larger version with a screen that flipped out and internal recording, perhaps even better IBIS video (approach GH5) they would put so much pressure on Canon. 

Hopefully I'm wrong but my bet is that it will have a 4k crop.

With the stated still horizontal resolution of 6720, a 1:1 quad-hd 3840 wide crop will be a 1.75x crop.   Other people have already mentioned that this was the crop for the 5d mk4 when it came out.  They decreased the crop with a firmware update but it required a better head sink being installed.  Will this have a big heat sink from the start? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

But if it is a 1.75 crop it doesn't represent a good value proposition.  The GH5s and bmpcc4k have a 1.85 crop so not much difference, and no chance the canon will come close to matching their other specs.   Can you imagine spending all that money on a full frame camera and expensive ridiculously heavy full frame f2 zoom lens and then you can only utilise 33% of it?  When you can practically achieve the same thing with a £500 worth of crop sensor camera and lens.      I actually think that 28 - 70 with an f2 max aperture is really useful range for an apsc sensor, but if it didn't need to cover full frame it could be a damn sight lighter than 1.5kg