Moza Air Help

Chris Whitten

I've had my new Moza Air for a couple of days now. I've followed online video advice from other users, and Gudsen's own set up videos.

My test footage is jittery and jumpy, not seeming to be smooth at all. I'm walking very slowly and as smoothly as I can.

I've tried the motors on full power, and on reduced power. I've tried a light camera rig (BM Pocket with small Voigtlander wide lens), I've tried a heavier rig (BM Pocket in full metal cage with a larger m4/3rds wide lens). I don't know what else to try, but I'm far from achieving anything usable.

Most of the user videos claim this system is easy to set up and achieves pretty much great footage straight out of the box.

Help?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, Chris Whitten said:

I've had my new Moza Air for a couple of days now. I've followed online video advice from other users, and Gudsen's own set up videos.

My test footage is jittery and jumpy, not seeming to be smooth at all. I'm walking very slowly and as smoothly as I can.

I've tried the motors on full power, and on reduced power. I've tried a light camera rig (BM Pocket with small Voigtlander wide lens), I've tried a heavier rig (BM Pocket in full metal cage with a larger m4/3rds wide lens). I don't know what else to try, but I'm far from achieving anything usable.

Most of the user videos claim this system is easy to set up and achieves pretty much great footage straight out of the box.

Help?

Can you post a sample video? Is the camera properly balanced? Have you tuned it through the app after the camera is balanced? Just asking some questions. I bought a used Air, followed Brandon Li's setup on youtube, and so far its been great. Moza has a FB page too, perhaps you just got a dud.

Chris

16 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Well I know it is not a lot of help now, but I Always look at Amazon reviews on anything I think about buying. And the reviews for the Moza Air are not so hot, actually Really bad. It may Never work well.

https://www.amazon.com/Handheld-Stabilizer-Mirrorless-Panasonic-1-1Lb-7Lb/dp/B01M2BLQFE

I own a Moza Air and I love it. Pretty much every review I've seen has also praised it. 

Amazon reviews are becoming less and less helpful overall as paid / fake reviews have started to become an issue. 8 out of 10 times that I leave anything under 5 stars I get an email from the manufacturer offering a refund and offering to let me keep the product if I either delete my review or change it to 5 stars. It's gotten really bad and has made me very skeptical of most reviews on there. 

• Super Members

Mine has been easy to set up and worked as expected for the most part.

But during one shoot the footage came out very jittery. I recalibrated it manually and everything was fine again.

Very interested to hear that others have experienced the same thing. Doesn't sound very reassuring.

Thanks all for the advice. I'm getting a bit down about it.

I didn't read Amazon reviews, but I did watch a lot of user Youtube videos, comparing Moza Air to other gimbals and explaining how to balance it, set it up etc.

The most dispiriting thing is that most users say it's pretty good out of the box, but even with my simplest of set ups it is resulting in completely unusable footage.

I have updated the firmware, I've tried several different set ups via the Moza App. I've tried several different camera set ups too. The camera is balanced and stable before I turn on the Moza Air, so it should be smooth when I'm using it I think. I'll try and shoot the best bit of footage I can today and post an example.

This is the smoothest I've managed. I set the motor power to 70% and it looks less jerky than something I shot at 100%. I start standing still, then walk slowly and as smoothly as I can.

So far it's better than I was achieving yesterday, although I haven't really changed anything about my approach. As I walk the camera has a tendency to drift to pointing right, this is in yaw follow mode (mode 1). It should be pointing down the lane, not drifting towards the cars. I assume that's a balance/set up problem? I've tried several different ways of balancing the camera on the Moza. It always sits balanced nicely before I power up, and then when powered, but as I walk along it does this drifting to point right thing.

Update...

I did the calibration procedure from the computer. Also, not many set up videos explain the YAW balance procedure in depth. I found a couple and redid the YAW balance.

Now I'm getting usable footage at least, still a bit jerky and wobbly. I guess I'll experiment with the motor power levels. I have them at 80%, maybe I should go back closer to 100%.

I'd definitely exchange it or send it in for repair. You should be getting much better stabilization than what you're describing right out the box without even having to fine tune the settings (though that's a good idea to do once you get used to it.) The only time I've gotten jitters, or seen footage like that, was while running too fast / seeing reviewers run too fast and experiencing it. 

4 hours ago, Chris Whitten said:

Thanks.

It's not that easy to exchange things in the UK. I'll try.

This is not true. If there is a problem exchanging then the problem is the retailer. You have the full force of the Consumer Rights Act & can return for a full refund in the first 30 days after purchase. Any fault in the item in the first six months after purchase is deemed to be due to manufacturing problem so the retailer must either replaced or repair. Clearly your  gimbal is defective so just return it for a full refund.