Panasonic announcing a full frame camera on Sept. 25???

Trek of Joy

38 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

So the new mount will have the 2nd largest mirrorless FF lens collection after FE on day 1.. interesting!

I think Sigma saw the writing on the wall with the closed Z and R mounts.  Re-engineering the logic for Canon and Nikon's mount from scratch will not be easy.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

I'm guessing that Sigma will be able to put together a new version of their MC-11 adapter in short order to go from EF to SL.

And hopefully it will be far cheaper than the Novoflex one.

Be interesting to see if the relationship actually allows Sigma to begin selling their SL line-up ahead of the camera launch as they would have a very captive audience immediately with Leica owners.

Including the hypothetical person who in a moment of madness bought a used SL last weekend.

I, erm, sorry, he would be all over them.

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Be interesting to see if the relationship actually allows Sigma to begin selling their SL line-up ahead of the camera launch as they would have a very captive audience immediately with Leica owners.

Including the hypothetical person who in a moment of madness bought a used SL last weekend.

I, erm, sorry, he would be all over them.

Very true. Sigma is already doing excellent with the FE-mount lenses where it has boxed the market for high-performance yet affordable glass. I had many pros tell me that they'd never consider buying the Sony a7iii for example,  if Sigma wasn't involved; Sony/Zeiss branded lenses are either not adequate enough, in their view, or extortionately expensive.  

So, no need for Sigma to bust their balls over the Z and R mounts, and suddenly Nikon and Canon mirrorless systems find themselves in the position that Fuji was 5+ years ago: in need to hurry up completing their lens lineup by themselves, without third party support. You can't rely on adapters forever. 

And buy the way, congrats on the SL! In my view it's perhaps the best ever example of industrial design in the Photographic Industry. ?

14 hours ago, hoodlum said:

I think Sigma saw the writing on the wall with the closed Z and R mounts.  Re-engineering the logic for Canon and Nikon's mount from scratch will not be easy.

Sigma never received  engineering info from Canon and Nikon for their mounts as they did last year from Sony.

They always had to reverse engineer Canikon Mounts to copy their protocols. They will not have an issue again.

15 minutes ago, nathlas said:

Sigma never received  engineering info from Canon and Nikon for their mounts as they did last year from Sony.

They always had to reverse engineer Canikon Mounts to copy their protocols. They will not have an issue again.

They are probably completely capable of reverse engineering the Z/R mounts. 

But, plot twist: suppose terms of the mutual Pana/Sigma/Leica agreement is that Sigma can do whatever they want in-house, but not release any lenses for the Canonikon mounts until 2020. ?

54 minutes ago, eyesuncloudedphoto said:

Very true. Sigma is already doing excellent with the FE-mount lenses where it has boxed the market for high-performance yet affordable glass. I had many pros tell me that they'd never consider buying the Sony a7iii for example,  if Sigma wasn't involved; Sony/Zeiss branded lenses are either not adequate enough, in their view, or extortionately expensive.  

So, no need for Sigma to bust their balls over the Z and R mounts, and suddenly Nikon and Canon mirrorless systems find themselves in the position that Fuji was 5+ years ago: in need to hurry up completing their lens lineup by themselves, without third party support. You can't rely on adapters forever. 

And buy the way, congrats on the SL! In my view it's perhaps the best ever example of industrial design in the Photographic Industry. ?

I’ve had the exact contrary impression - most Sony shooters I know of prefer shooting with native Sony/Zeiss glass over Sigma. And not one I know of has found Sony lenses inadequate. Quite the opposite in fact. Their 24-105mm f/4, 16-35mm f/2.8, 35mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4, 55mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.4 and 400mm f/2.8 have all received wide acclaim - and I’ve no doubt the soon-to-be-released 24mm f/1.4 will too. Really, I find the whole notion of not purchasing the a7 III if Sigma lenses didn’t exist preposterous.

19 minutes ago, eyesuncloudedphoto said:

They are probably completely capable of reverse engineering the Z/R mounts. 

But, plot twist: suppose terms of the mutual Pana/Sigma/Leica agreement is that Sigma can do whatever they want in-house, but not release any lenses for the Canonikon mounts until 2020. ?

I don't find a reason for Sigma to accept that. Pana/Leica need Sigma lenses right now not the opposite.

Sigma would gladly offer their cooperation in order to sell their lenses but not with a term not to sell lenses especially to canikon clients that propably will win again the market.

• Super Members
42 minutes ago, eyesuncloudedphoto said:

I had many pros tell me that they'd never consider buying the Sony a7iii for example,  if Sigma wasn't involved; Sony/Zeiss branded lenses are either not adequate enough, in their view, or extortionately expensive.  

I think the Sony systems have definitely benefited from Sigma's involvement (as they do from also having smart adapters for EF lenses), particularly for the APS-C cameras, to give more choice but they've definitely upped their own game too though.

My own personal frame of reference for 'extortionately expensive' lenses has had some serious readjustment after glugging like a drunken sailor on the Leica Koolaid so those Sony lenses now look like a an absolute bargain ;) 

18 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I’ve had the exact contrary impression - most Sony shooters I know of prefer shooting with native Sony/Zeiss glass over Sigma. And not one I know of has found Sony lenses inadequate. Quite the opposite in fact. And their 24-105mm f/4, 16-35mm f/2.8, 35mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4, 55mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.4 and 400mm f/2.8 have all received wide acclaim - and I’ve no doubt the soon-to-be-released 24mm f/1.4 will too.

The situation with the Sony FE mount and Sigma FE lenses is a bit strange. Sigma, rather than redesigning the lenses (and af motors) for mirrorless, simply effectively just stuck an MC11 adapter on the back of their DSLR lenses. This made the lenses overly large and with poor focusing. So the Sigma FE line of lenses have been largely ignored by Sony users even though they are quite cheap.

I do think that Sony lenses are quite expensive and that the system is crying out for decent reasonable budget options like the Tamron 28-75 2.8. I thought Canon and Nikon were going to come in and compete aggressively on the price of their optics but it appears they want to go the premium route too. And then Canon and Nikon's decision to not license their mount to thrid parties also seems somewhat backward....

Looks like it will have IBIS.

https://www.l-rumors.com/l5-on-sept-25-panasonic-will-annonce-the-development-of-two-ff-cameras-and-three-ff-lenses/

1) Entry level Full Frame L-mount camera with IBIS, 4k60p and Low Resolution Sensor
2) Pro level Full Frame L-mount camera with IBIS, 4k60p and High Resolution Sensor (close to 50MP)
3) New Full Frame 24-70mm zoom lens
4) New Full Frame 50mm fast prime
5) New Full Frame 70-200mm zoom prime

19 minutes ago, hoodlum said:

Looks like it will have IBIS.

https://www.l-rumors.com/l5-on-sept-25-panasonic-will-annonce-the-development-of-two-ff-cameras-and-three-ff-lenses/

1) Entry level Full Frame L-mount camera with IBIS, 4k60p and Low Resolution Sensor
2) Pro level Full Frame L-mount camera with IBIS, 4k60p and High Resolution Sensor (close to 50MP)
3) New Full Frame 24-70mm zoom lens
4) New Full Frame 50mm fast prime
5) New Full Frame 70-200mm zoom prime

awesome. Cant wait. Please make the AF good in video...

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

I’ve had the exact contrary impression - most Sony shooters I know of prefer shooting with native Sony/Zeiss glass over Sigma. And not one I know of has found Sony lenses inadequate. Quite the opposite in fact. Their 24-105mm f/4, 16-35mm f/2.8, 35mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4, 55mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.4 and 400mm f/2.8 have all received wide acclaim - and I’ve no doubt the soon-to-be-released 24mm f/1.4 will too. Really, I find the whole notion of not purchasing the a7 III if Sigma lenses didn’t exist preposterous.

Perhaps I could clarify this: users think that either the cheaper Sony lenses are not "good enough" (at least in regards to value/cost) OR they are fantastically good but very expensive (the G-master line and some other Sony branded lenses). 

Not everyone has 10K+ to spend upfront for lenses when adopting a new system, so having a reasonably priced, high performance option is always welcome. Furthermore, many Canonikon users already used to use and love Sigma ART lenses on their DSLRs; in fact most Canon users at least initially use their EF Sigma glass adapted on their Sonys.