Panasonic announcing a full frame camera on Sept. 25???

Trek of Joy

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Rumor says they will keep DFD tech with no DPAF. Why on earth would they do that? 

If this camera has high mpx + GH5 video specs like 4K60P and 10 bit, it's going to be an absolute killer. But if they keep their shitty AF well it's going to be the dealbreaker. Dont do that Panasonic, dont be so dumb.

them buy something else, I'm so sick of hearing people whine like little babies about auto focus.

7 hours ago, Dan Sherman said:

them buy something else, I'm so sick of hearing people whine like little babies about auto focus.

I am so happy I made you sick! Hope you read all my future baby whines and puke over and over :) 

6 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Canon must have patent on DPAF for large sensors

Maybe. But PDAF is good enough like with Sony and Nikon, so Panasonic should at least use that. Their AF is unacceptable and it’s a real shame when you see all the qualities in the GH5. It just missed FF and AF. So close.. but let’s see next week!

24 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I’m with Wolf on this. If their FF camera doesn’t have PDAF, it would make me think twice about purchasing another Panasonic.

As things seem to stand, I simply dont get it. History shows that far more 'mounts' fail than succeed.

And Panasonic faces an incredible uphill task in competing with Nikon, Canon and Sony in FF mirrorless. Not just in terms of brand name but also experience and a lens catalog that they effectively have to start from scratch. If you then throw in a lack of ibis and no pdaf (as well as a March 2019 release) and a US$3000 price point - this mount sort of looks DOA.

Could be very interesting if Samsung and Panasonic join force.. Samsung have DPAF tech on their smartphones, if Panasonic want to catchup Video AF game quickly on this department it seems like a plausible solution.

https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/wild-rumors-about-samsung-producing-large-quantity-of-full-frame-sensor/

But reality is Panasonic gonna definitely stick with their DFD tech grrr

https://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-will-launch-new-dfd2-with-artificial-intelligence-likely-with-the-new-panasonic-full-frame-camera/

2 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Have not read this thread trough. But does panasonic even have full frame lenses at this point? As a lot of gh users are prob not interested in changing lenses. (Besides the metabones adapter users)

I believe they'll announce new lenses, along with a new mount.

If Panasonic users don't want to change lenses, they can keep shooting micro four thirds cameras.

I had to buy new lenses for my Fuji and Sony cameras, it's just a fact of life.

• Super Members
2 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Have not read this thread trough. But does panasonic even have full frame lenses at this point? As a lot of gh users are prob not interested in changing lenses. (Besides the metabones adapter users)

The default on the scale mapping for MFT lenses on the JVC LS300 is just over 80% but that is only on an APS-C sensor. With some of the MFT lenses you can set the scale to over 90% and in some cases 100% but the performance gets a bit sketchy on the edges to say the least.

So the short answer is no and that existing MFT users will have to buy new lenses.

How many of those new lenses will exist at launch time remains to be seen but might possibly depend on who, if anyone, they might have as a partner.

If this new camera does turn out to have the Leica SL mount then it could be bad news if all you have to choose from is the eye wateringly expensive Leica SL lenses. Conversely, if it shares the same mount and Panasonic have made new more affordable lenses for it then that would be a huge win for Leica SL owners to have that option.

There has long been rumours of a full frame version of the Leica CL (which has the same mount as the SL) so that might add weight to the theory that Panasonic will use the mount as it too will need more affordable lenses.

Leica are currently doing a very generous trade in offer against the SL which is usually the prelude to stock shifting ahead of a new model so, again, there is another bit of weight to the theory as the Leica badged version of Panasonic products usually trail behind by 3-6 months.

So, I can see it would make sense for both sides for it to use the SL mount but I can also see arguments against it regarding Leica's brand status etc so you never know.

I thought I read that there is a strong rumor suggesting 16mm flange distance and a 2x crop mode, so in M4/3 crop mode, with an adapter, m4/3 lenses will work. Not a bad idea to keep existing customers that may be interested in moving to FF.

Unless there is some type of internal/external Raw or internal ProRes, I don’t really see the point of a FF Panasonic. It seems like they’re grasping at straws here... especially if it doesn’t have IBIS.

37 minutes ago, mercer said:

Unless there is some type of internal/external Raw or internal ProRes, I don’t really see the point of a FF Panasonic. It seems like they’re grasping at straws here... especially if it doesn’t have IBIS.

They want an 8K consumer camera by the 2020 Olympics the easiest way to do that is with a full frame sensor!

• Administrators
2 hours ago, jonpais said:

Won’t happen. They are going to announce a new mount.

Apparently what I have heard is that they will use the Leica SL mount, as Panasonic already makes the SL's autofocus lenses. They can supply Leica with the same glass they make for their own system, just re-badge it. Makes total sense if both systems use the same lenses. I already have a Leica T 23mm F2 that could be handy in Super 35 mode for testing out AF. And if the AF is good enough I am sure I'll invest in some Panasonic / Leica glass.

15 hours ago, jonpais said:

I’m with Wolf on this. If their FF camera doesn’t have PDAF, it would make me think twice about purchasing another Panasonic.

From a voice as old Panasonic shooter/supporter, that weighs a bit. If I'd be them, I'd be ashamed by your statement. Time to improve it, I guess.