Panasonic announcing a full frame camera on Sept. 25???

Trek of Joy

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, anonim said:

What comes to my mind is bizarre idea - if this war of announcements and future promises goes on with such started direction, people will be paralyzed, living in constant expectations (maybe in on/off preordering state) and actually not buying anything :)

Yes. Very much my thoughts too. Its called the 'paradox of choice'.

Not only is their a wealth of options in new mounts but Panasonic, Canon and Nikon are making people question whether they should invest further in their legacy mounts. Canon's messaging seems particularly confusing to me. They are introducing a relatively low end FF mirrorless with high end lenses - two of which will likely be heavier and more expensive then the underlying body. The main advantages of mirrorless is in video but apparently Canon are going to bring out a full frame mirrorless that isnt FF in video? Furthermore, Canon's FF mirrorless mount looks to be incompatible with the EF-M mount (which I guess will have to be phased out.)

1 hour ago, Robert Collins said:

The main advantages of mirrorless is in video but apparently Canon are going to bring out a full frame mirrorless that isnt FF in video? 

Well, nobody knows that for sure. In fact, if you google EOS R 4K crop, EOS HD is the only site that it comes up as a fact...

You know this is not going to be a full senor readout by any stretch of the imagination. Canon would have to leap ahead light years to have that much processing power, let alone sensor tech. It isn't looking too promising.

Andrew said this in the EOS R thread.

"Full sensor in 16:9 is 6720 x 3776

Crop 3840 x 2160 from that and you have almost 1.9x crop".

Everyone is talking about the Film Look, so just as a frame of reference:

The Full- Format everyone is always referring to is NOT the format of 35mm motion pictures   

It is the 24mm x 36mm STILL frame format for 35mm FILM cameras.  

The 35mm Motion picture camera aperture is 0.866 by 0.630 in (22.0 by 16.0 mm) or less then 1/2 of the area of STILL frame camera's 24mm x 36mm.

12 minutes ago, Fred Flohrschutz said:

Everyone is talking about the Film Look, so just as a frame of reference:

The Full- Format everyone is always referring to is NOT the format of 35mm motion pictures   

It is the 24mm x 36mm STILL frame format for 35mm FILM cameras.  

The 35mm Motion picture camera aperture is 0.866 by 0.630 in (22.0 by 16.0 mm) or less then 1/2 of the area of STILL frame camera's 24mm x 36mm.

I sort of equate the Film look as looking like it was shot on well...Film! It could be 8mm Film, it still has a look of Film. But yes you are right they pretty much just cut 35mm Camera Film stock in half, added an audio track, and well called it... Movie Film!

4 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

But yes you are right they pretty much just cut 35mm Camera Film stock in half, added an audio track, and well called it... Movie Film!

In actual fact, the exact opposite is what happened: Oscar Barnack  transported the cinema 35mm film horizontally thus allowing for about twice the area and creating the first "35mm" photographic camera. 

9 hours ago, mercer said:

Well, nobody knows that for sure. In fact, if you google EOS R 4K crop, EOS HD is the only site that it comes up as a fact...

Well heres another fact: the single only Canon camera that currently shoots FF 4K without a crop is... the $33,000 C700 FF.

Odds aren't looking very good but yeah who know's for sure heh.

22 hours ago, AlexTrinder96 said:

Will Olympus been on board with this? What do people think? 

Olympus was testing 8k cameras like 12 years ago. Personal info when I visited Olympus HQs years ago in Tokyo.

I am very curius why they never evolved those cameras into market.

12 minutes ago, nathlas said:

why they never evolved those cameras into market.

Well...what market, exactly?  The consumer photo enthusiast market?  

I mean, I've literally had an Olympus high-def camera shoved up my ass.  So there's the "camera-that-gets-shoved-up-a-patient's-ass" market and all the accompanying medial field stuff.

6 hours ago, Django said:

Well heres another fact: the single only Canon camera that currently shoots FF 4K without a crop is... the $33,000 C700 FF.

Odds aren't looking very good but yeah who know's for sure heh.

Well, the last FF camera, with 4K, Canon released was over 2 years ago. Panasonic didn’t have a 4K camera without a crop. Fuji didn’t have a 4K camera without a crop. Nikon didn’t have a 4K camera without a crop. I believe Sony was the only manufacturer that had a 4K camera without a crop...

1 minute ago, mercer said:

Well, the last FF camera, with 4K, Canon released was over 2 years ago. Panasonic didn’t have a 4K camera without a crop. Fuji didn’t have a 4K camera without a crop. Nikon didn’t have a 4K camera without a crop. I believe Sony was the only manufacturer that had a 4K camera without a crop...

The 2016 Nikon D5 shoots FF 4K.. 

14 minutes ago, jonpais said:

But none of them were brazen enough to sell us 4K with a 2.56x crop. C’mon...

Yeah that was a pretty severe crop but does it really matter to you... have you ever owned a Canon or even contemplated buying one? Do you foresee yourself ever buying a Canon? I think you’ve answered that in the past.

1 minute ago, AlexTrinder96 said:

I thought it cropped 1.5x? 

I’m pretty sure it does.