Panasonic announcing a full frame camera on Sept. 25???

Trek of Joy

I tend to think it might have this 8K Organic sensor in it .Co Developed by Panasonic and Fuji. Which if it it does I don't see how this thing can be cheap unless it cost 10 cents to make this sensor LoL.

And TowerJazz also owns 51% of TowerJazz Panasonic Semiconductor Co. (TPSCo) ,an enterprise with Panasonic Corporation.

https://***URL removed***/news/1440456457/panasonic-unveils-industry-first-8k-organic-image-sensor-with-global-shutter

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
27 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I tend to think it might have this 8K Organic sensor in it .Co Developed by Panasonic and Fuji. Which if it it does I don't see how this thing can be cheap unless it cost 10 cents to make this sensor LoL.

And TowerJazz also owns 51% of TowerJazz Panasonic Semiconductor Co. (TPSCo) ,an enterprise with Panasonic Corporation.

https://***URL removed***/news/1440456457/panasonic-unveils-industry-first-8k-organic-image-sensor-with-global-shutter

This could be a possible development. AFAIK though, Fujifilm is no longer involved in the project (?) 

I always thought that they would initially make a smaller "technology demonstration" sensor, but who knows? We are hearing about this tech for the last 5-6 years, perhaps it's mature enough to take such a risk. 

Crop mode - faster read out - flexible mount m43 lenses line - external raw + top IBIS = revenge to BM and yet unborn A7s III

But price :(

What comes to my mind is bizarre idea - if this war of announcements and future promises goes on with such started direction, people will be paralyzed, living in constant expectations (maybe in on/off preordering state) and actually not buying anything :)

5 minutes ago, eyesuncloudedphoto said:

This could be a possible development. AFAIK though, Fujifilm is no longer involved in the project (?) 

I always thought that they would initially make a smaller "technology demonstration" sensor, but who knows? We are hearing about this tech for the last 5-6 years, perhaps it's mature enough to take such a risk. 

I'll believe it when I see it. Not holding my breath. But I'll say this much, if it is the organic sensor,  I would preorder immediately.  The individual pixel gain would be a huge breakthrough. 

32 minutes ago, DBounce said:

I'll believe it when I see it. Not holding my breath. But I'll say this much, if it is the organic sensor, 

Yeah the more I read about it the more I Don't believe it will be in this new camera. It will probably be a high end camera on the side lines for pure Broadcast stuff..  Looks like they are trying to make it happen for the 2020 Olympics.

Hey I Think I spelled it right this time, Yahoo!

Yes.gif

On 9/3/2018 at 1:56 AM, jonpais said:

There's a reason why over ninety percent of feature films are shot on super 35mm format and the trend is toward large format. The whole industry is moving toward larger, not smaller format. 

A teeny teeny tiny percentage of big budget feature films are shot on vistavision sized sensors. 

7 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

A teeny teeny tiny percentage of big budget feature films are shot on vistavision sized sensors. 

I did not say any different. What I said was, is that the trend is toward large format. All the major players now have at least one large format cinema camera in their lineup. 

I'm still super skeptical over this. Panny ain't going to put a much better sensor in this than their EVA1/Varicams cmon.

If they do, we're talking a super expensive cine cam. But why would they release a high-end cine cam at Photokina?

Also starting a new mount & lenses from scratch?! Have they even ever made FF lenses?

Their AF has always been pretty crap..

It just doesn't add up to me, especially entering the market at this particular point against Canikon & Sony.

Sounds really risky to me, it's a bold move i'll give em that!

2 minutes ago, Django said:

I'm still super skeptical over this. Panny ain't going to put a much better sensor in this than their EVA1/Varicams cmon.

If they do, we're talking a super expensive cine cam.

Also starting a new mount & lenses from scratch?! Have they even ever made FF lenses?

Their AF has always been pretty crap..

It just doesn't add up to me, especially entering the market at this particular point against Canikon & Sony.

Sounds really risky to me, it's a bold move i'll give em that!

I think it will be an EF mount like the EVA1. 

26 minutes ago, DBounce said:

I think it will be an EF mount like the EVA1. 

That would be a mistake imo, going against Canon's excellent AF integration of their own lenses. EVA1 can't even do continuous AF and hunts just to get basic one touch center-only AF. It's ok cuz it's a cine cam and most will use cine glass and/or follow focus system but on a compact hybrid that would be a disaster imo.

4 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

Out of interest doesnt anyone see what is going on in ILCs as slightly surreal?

We have just had 3 totally new mounts in ILCs announced in the last 3 weeks.

And here are the latest numbers from CIPA.

http://www.cipa.jp/stats/documents/e/d-201807_e.pdf

Compacts are down 40% this year (over 90% from their peak)

DSLRs are down 25% in July from this time last year and even mirrorless is down.

6 million ILCs sold in the first 7 months v 800m smartphones.

Everyone investing headlong into a small market that has been declining for 5 years. Panasonic stands a snowball chance in Hades of being successful with a new mount in FF cameras. I would be surprised if their camera goes beyond the prototype.

I agree, in this declining market it is madness to see three new mounts pop up in as many weeks!

10 hours ago, Mmmbeats said:

You've given the marketing department a tough task - selling a photo-oriented camera with a 10 megapixel sensor!

LOL! 
Maybe with new epic pixel shift tech to market it as "higher resolution"? :-P

But yeah, that is a no go. 

However I'd still like to see the GH5S sensor in a cheaper body. 

7 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Haven't been keeping up with this thread but the impression I get is that Panasonic knows they need to go with a larger sensor but doing so could wreck their m43 ecosystem and user base. 

Agreed, it would be devastating for the MFT Ecosystem as a whole if Panasonic announced a new mount.

7 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

What if they skipped full frame and went medium format? The gap between the two would be significant enough for neither to cannibalize the other. Man if they could democratize medium format that would be cool. 

Going medium format might be the one exception when it comes to introducing a new mount. 

As the gap from MFT to Medium Format could be a large enough gap to keep them seperated out as two very different lines. 

15 minutes ago, EspenB said:

Lets discuss the price level. This videocentric FF monster will retail for 4000 USD or more.

Then there is the new lenses.

This is about Sony a9 price range, isn't it? I'd be very glad if this was true... my guess is more than that. 

OTOH we don't really know it's only one camera, do we? The announcement may well be for a new system and a logical guess would be that they'd try to offer a hi/lo "range" of at least two cameras. Perhaps a somewhat "stripped down" version between 2 and 3K and a high-end 4-5K version. There was also mention about a subscription type scheme and add-on features similar to V-LOG for the GH5. 

Too much speculation, too little information at the moment...