Panasonic announcing a full frame camera on Sept. 25???

Trek of Joy

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The market is going places that are completely logical.  My credit card will get bruised yet again in the coming months/years.

I just find it ironic that I'm going to end up, with the development direction of hybrid gear, pretty much where I started a decade ago:  Shooting FF video on a stills camera.  And, when you really get down to it, modern IQ in hybrids is a lot better --but it's not like it's mind-blowingly better than what well-lit scenes shot on a 5DII can capture.  If you told me I HAD to shoot a 5DII tomorrow for a job, I'd feel fine about it. 

But that's me.  Even though I shoot a lot of 4K, I still finish my edits in 1080.

4 minutes ago, anonim said:

"whole industry moving toward" as crucial argument.

I don't know.  It seems rather simple to me.  When the enthusiast market evolves to offers what it offers, enthusiast consumers in that market tend to buy those items.  We're in a era where regular people aren't really buying cameras anymore and that really shifts development priorities among manufacturers.

You also mentioned filmmakers.   I don't think commercial filmmakers play around with hybrid cameras.  They have the means to go up market.  That doesn't mean that hybrids aren't great tools, jus means that pros go to pro gear.

The idea that m43's death is imminent or that it doesn't have a place is silly. For video shooters it will only happen once these full frame cameras can match the features and capabilities of them. The GH5 was released a year and a half ago and yet there is no camera in the same league, full frame or otherwise, that matches its features. 

It's likely that within the next year or so information on the GH6 will begin to trickle out and the capabilities and specs will again be ahead of the competition. People will be blown away, but within a year or so, after Sony releases something that comes close but doesn't quite achieve the same capabilities, people will again start saying that m43 is dying.

It'll happen eventually, but quit rushing to predict its demise. Panasonic getting into the FF game is great, but I don't see it putting an end to the GH line. 

38 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

I don't think commercial filmmakers play around with hybrid cameras.

Of course, and that's why I think that mention of preferences about "feature films" shooting tools as important argument in question: consumers FF  vs m43 (for aspiring narrative usage, what is my narrow field of interest) is irrelevant, except, of course, in EOSHD forum with its abundance of feature film directors :)

But - mention of "Feature film" immediately calls, I think, those who are in the field of indie filmmaking or similar creative task - that's strictly respective field about which I'm argumenting. Again: I think that GHx and BMPocket are at the moment two sides (10bit+IBIS or RAW+lowlight cappability) of sweet spot for such (narrow) usage... If, for the sake of that narrow usage, I wish to go further, I'll eventually rather buy EVA1 or FS5-7 or Kinefinity, or something similar, than FF mirrorless camera, just because they have FF.

I can't remember exactly, maybe 18 months ago Panasonic said all the 2020 Olympus was going to be shot in 8K. I think this camera is the camera they have been developing that long and more to shoot it with. And it is not going to be a 2500 dollar camera. It will be a 25 Thousand dollar camera or more. I am afraid people are hoping for something that is not going to happen, at least not on the cheap.

But I guess we will find out soon enough.

6 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I am afraid people are hoping for something that is not going to happen, at least not on the cheap.

Personally, if Panasonic do a copy/paste of the GH5 but make it full frame that's all I need. A GH5 with nice shallow DOF and ISO performance would be great. I find 8k is useless at this point (and I don't have the space to store all this).

Full frame is pretty special but it’s just another format.

S35mm is still king for Hollywood narratives and a lot of Hollywood DPs supposedly own Fuji as their personal cameras.

In the end, who cares? John Brawley has already proven that a S16 sensor camera can be used in 1080p ProRes on a network television show.

All of this other resolution and spec nonsense is propagated by manufacturers at an attempt to gain an extra percent of market share for their stock holders.

Pick a camera you like the image from, or the specs that get you hot under the collar and work on your craft and create.

13 minutes ago, mercer said:

In the end, who cares? John Brawley has already proven that a S16 sensor camera can be used in 1080p ProRes on a network television show.

Yeah but I don't think you can cram 8K onto a onto a little sensor. It is my guess why they are going that way. Heck Sony just came out with a 121MP sensor for the Phase One MF camera. Big is in like it or not, and you can bet your butt 8K isn't the end of it. So they are probably trying to "Future Proof" it for the next 3 years when 16K comes out!! And then it will be Medium Format sensors!

Yeah but it is being outputted to 720p. That is not going to cut it for they 2020 Olympics or Sunday Night Football, or the Soccer Finals.

34 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I can't remember exactly, maybe 18 months ago Panasonic said all the 2020 Olympus was going to be shot in 8K. I think this camera is the camera they have been developing that long and more to shoot it with. And it is not going to be a 2500 dollar camera. It will be a 25 Thousand dollar camera or more. I am afraid people are hoping for something that is not going to happen, at least not on the cheap.

But I guess we will find out soon enough.

8k broadcast camera for around 25000 dollars?? Really? 

54 minutes ago, mercer said:

Full frame is pretty special but it’s just another format.

S35mm is still king for Hollywood narratives and a lot of Hollywood DPs supposedly own Fuji as their personal cameras.

All of this other resolution and spec nonsense is propagated by manufacturers at an attempt to gain an extra percent of market share for their stock holders.

Pick a camera you like the image from, or the specs that get you hot under the collar and work on your craft and create.

I couldn't agree more! Geoff Boyle's argument on resolution comes to mind... 

33 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Most of all the Films were shot on a Arri. Go to just before the 10:00 mark to see the results.

Well you never know do you. Who would have guessed the PK4 would only be what it is.

very true, if Blackmagic were to make an 8k broadcast cam I'd hope it would be in that price range ?