Panasonic announcing a full frame camera on Sept. 25???

Trek of Joy

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

43 rumors just posted a hot new rumor, Panasonic is crashing the FF party. Could it be a FF GH5? Or is this the 8k camera that's been rumored?

https://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-will-announce-its-first-full-frame-system-camera-on-september-25/#disqus_thread

Their way to make a 8K camera possible by 2020 and expand their business into more profitable FF market. The question is what mount they will use.

11 minutes ago, Simon Shasha said:

Not sure why anyone cares - for video, anyway.

Compared to the Blackmagic Pocket 4K, any mirrorless, full-frame or otherwise, from Panasonic/Nikon/Canon/Sony looks like/will look like s**t.

The spread of IQ quality between BM and any other camera is so vast the only way to even converse about the difference is to compare it to poo.  

Or, maybe, the image-quality-gap these days across the board these days between brands is actually rather minuscule.

Huh.  Wonder which one it is?

Just speculating, but we all know Panasonic basically owns half of Towerjazz - a company with a stated goal to gain market share in the photo sensor world. That's what sparked the rampant (and incorrect) speculation about the d850's sensor. Perhaps the Towerjazz partnership is finally going to bear fruit for Panasonic?

8k with m43 never made any sense to me, after seeing the EVA-1 with a larger sensor and EF mount, I figured Panasonic would take a similar path with its 8k ILC.

Chris

1 hour ago, gethin said:

that was my reaction too.  its a full time job 

Correct. It is ;)

The thing that excites me about this rumor is the fact that Panasonic UNDERSTANDS the video game really really well. 

I think they were caught off guard with the Phase Detect AF for video thing. When they started designing the GH5 I don't think it was that much of a need or concern. Now, in 2018...its become quite a requirement and I know Panasonic knows that. 

The other thing that excites me is the fact that it will most definitely have all the video features thrown in it that we expect it to have coming from a GH5. Waveforms, high bit rates, max frame rates...(however it may be less powerful than a GH5 cause the sensor is so much larger and requires some serious processing and cooling)

BUT MOST OF ALL....it WILL have a flip out screen and we all know it will. Hahahaha. 

This is great news. And I am glad its later in the year....that gives me time to make a bunch of videos about the sony a7siii, canon mirrorless, and Nikon before it comes out. Its spaced out nicely for my channel ;)

What I like the most is open race of announcement period :) :

"Word on the street is that Panasonic will show a prototype and the final product will be on market during the first half of 2019."

So not just in theory, Panasonic will beat BM offer - Panny gives us even more time to wait: potential 9 months according quoted "word on the street".

So, battle of virtuality-like using of time in the market becomes more and more seriously shaped: BM made, I think, serious attack on buying decision about GH5s, now FF Panasonic will potentially hit back to still unborn Sony A7S III (probably on Canon mirrorless FF also) and barely born Nikon Z line.

In a meanwhile we will be under the threat of further unnoticed hypnosis, namely making another 300 (as minimum) pages of quarrelsome threads, guessing about prototype, calling each other "fanboys", actually living in the passively-guessing recent future (that slowly will become less and less "recent").

Luckily, best answer, I think, is always at disposal: to go out and make shooting art, cat-movies, beauty reminiscences, anything, and... enjoy.

If Canon has the nerve to come out with this EOS R that has pretty good 4K video with no crop, or a damn minimal one, with a full sensor read out, even a better DPAF, IBIS in it it will be game over for every one of them. Canon is the 800 pound Gorilla like them or not. They have the potential to just pretty much shut all these camera down sales wise. Even the Sony A7s mk III.

38 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

If Canon has the nerve to come out with this EOS R that has pretty good 4K video with no crop, or a damn minimal one, with a full sensor read out, even a better DPAF, IBIS in it it will be game over for every one of them. Canon is the 800 pound Gorilla like them or not. They have the potential to just pretty much shut all these camera down sales wise. Even the Sony A7s mk III.

Knowing little bit about strong roots of Japanese culture-society tradition, my theory is that Japanese companies will never completely destroyed each other sales wise - but they could be redistributed, reorganized, rethought, absorbed-and-reborn future wise in the background, always also dealing in some universal-meta-plan-level of the-same-society cooperation. Japanese still keep some deep spiral-spreading-family-instinct that made them so brilliantly/paradoxically at the same time the sharpest competitive and mutual protective . 

Well I would say when Anyone thinks about a camera, the word Canon is probably going to be the name that pops up first. They have a lock on photo cameras when it comes to perception of what is good. If they load this new camera up with features people really want, not what Canon wants to give to protect their Cine line, they will not be able to make them fast enough.

They pretty much right now have a once in a lifetime opportunity to just about lock up both DSLR, and Mirrorless sales. Man they could hit the jackpot here if they are smart.

What are the chances they use the EF mount like on the EVA1? I suppose they could use the Leica mount but those lenses are so expensive. Or create a new mount? 

Interesting times. If I'm Sony I'm sweating, cause in the span of 6 or so weeks everyone looks to be coming out guns blazing, with them in the cross hairs.