Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless talk hots up

Andrew Reid

@DaveAltizer has done a very nice test. 

I habe to disagree though after viewing the footage that the color science is largely irrelevant. I still think the Canon looked much better. If all you care about is image pick the Canon. Clog is so easy to work with and looks so nice. I can't say the same for the Sony. The skintones were off and all you have to do is look at the color of the grass in the background to see who has the more sophisticated image. Too bad for the Canon that the RS makes it unusable for everything but static shots. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

This is a bit like arguing over Mini DV tape has the best quality.

Mitch doesn't say what picture style settings he's using, so that video doesn't exactly help inform the World's Most Boring Debate, but if the 5D4 really is more detailed (as opposed to just more digitally sharpened) in the video above of bricks, then what little you are gaining is offset by the moire and aliasing - it seems to have more than the 5D3.

Again, it might be, but the initial assumption (no progress since the III) was still simply a misinformation, I would prefer not to waste time on trying to prove it wrong. That's like casually putting out that Canon dynamic range is as good as Sony or whatever.

In real world examples and also with Log, moiré is not going to be much of an issue, at least I haven't seen it.

I think for a lot of people 1080p is still relevant and of course it is the only option for FF coverage and the 4k rolling shutter is just very bad so there's that. As-is it seems not enough for the price, but going lower down it should be fine (for a Canon).

1 hour ago, jonpais said:
1 hour ago, jonpais said:

@DaveAltizer Thanks for the great impartial test comparing the a7 III to the EOS R.

@Yurolov As far as reproduction of the green hues goes, Sony is far more accurate than Canon.

Screen Shot 2018-10-14 at 11.25.53 AM.png

That screen grab is with the eoshd color profile applied. Earlier in the video with the car in shot & green behind, they mention how much worse the sony looks in that area stock. I still think sony has too much digital sharpening even when turned all the way down, it reminds me of cell phone footage. 

Here are your sony green colors straight out of the camera at 5pm jon. I can upload the raw somewhere if you think I changed it. Who doesn't love fluorescent greens? That seems highly accurate, I somehow missed it when I was there in person. Btw, you can see in the shadows what color the grass/leaves actually are, assuming the exposure is raised. Go ahead and color correct that without if falling apart in motion with 8-bit.

DSC00191.thumb.jpg.c454af0ce8c3975dd783a2f6083fd29a.jpg

The tendency of Canons to be a bit heavy-handed with sharpening, has been addressed in this model [the 6D Mark II], and the sharpening curve shows only a moderate degree of overshoot and undershoot. This is a major improvement over the strong sharpening that could be seen in tests of the Canon 6D.

Sharpening produced by the Alpha 7 Mark III is mild.

source: PDN

19 minutes ago, jonpais said:

In fact, sharpening in the a7 III is mild, whereas Canon has tended to be heavy-handed with sharpening; Canon has only begun to address that with the 6D Mark II.

best thing about the 6K oversampled image is that you don't even need to add in camera sharpening.

3 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

I prefer a sharper more detailed image as I prefer a more clinical look. So I like the A7 image

I like high resolution, but with good highlight roll off. If sony released their venice in the a7iii I would buy it. I just want them to lower in camera sharpening more. It reminds me of the P4P vs the high end Inspire 2 cameras, you can always add sharpening in post, but its harder to take away. 

2 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

The 6d ii is crippled beyond imagination in 1080p. Everyone knows this, the codec is horrible for starters. 

Facts lmao

Just now, Snowbro said:

I like high resolution, but with good highlight roll off. If sony released their venice in the a7iii I would buy it

lol...   well the fs5ii stock profile has a better highlight roll off so maybe we will see that in the a7siii

3 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

I like high resolution, but with good highlight roll off. If sony released their venice in the a7iii I would buy it. I just want them to lower in camera sharpening more. It reminds me of the P4P vs the high end Inspire 2 cameras, you can always add sharpening in post, but its harder to take away. 

then buy a camera thats 1:1 readout and not oversampling.. like come on.

3 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

Facts lmao

lol...   well the fs5ii stock profile has a better highlight roll off so maybe we will see that in the a7siii

The a7siii is supposedly going to have their newest color science. It will kill everything on the market if it has internal 10 bit and 4k 60

4 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Nobody is going to kill anybody. 

I already knew you had poor reading comprehension, but I should have known. That one is on me. You seem like you would be much happier staying in your sony/fuji forums. The only thing you do here is cry and provide false information. Oh yeah, and solicit videos of minors in vietnam while saying "hehehe".   

5 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

The a7siii is supposedly going to have their newest color science. It will kill everything on the market if it has internal 10 bit and 4k 60

it wont, some will still prefer the softer canon look, or the amazing black magic color science and raw capabilities, Fuji with its filmic rendering, or Panasonic's build quality and insane ibis. No one is getting killed and I say this as a huge Sony fanboy.

1 minute ago, Snowbro said:

I already knew you had poor reading comprehension, but I should have known. That one is on me. You seem like you would be much happier staying in your sony/fuji forums. The only thing you do here is cry and provide false information. Oh yeah, and solicit photos of minors in vietnam while saying "hehehe".   

That's really unacceptable. 

3 minutes ago, jonpais said:

That's really unacceptable. 

Ill go find your post jon, hold on a second. 

On 10/4/2018 at 8:59 AM, jonpais said:

I'm willing to share all the S-Log images you like: a bouquet of flowers, some teenage girls at the coffee shop, whatever you like. hehehe

On 10/4/2018 at 11:42 AM, jonpais said:

Speaking of, you might be surprised to learn that child marriage is alive and well back in the good ole USA, where, between 2000 and 2015, over 200,000 minors were legally married. So since it's clear that your brain is located in your crotch, no need to leave home.

Why would you say such creepy things at your age on a public forum, in that area of the world? That boggles my mind. It insinuates a bad picture in peoples mind. I am sure you don't do anything illegal, but stop saying crap like that. Seriously, it is disturbing.