Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless talk hots up

Andrew Reid

• Super Members
12 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Did you manage to find an EF Speed Booster with autofocus?

Sure did :)

Kipon baveyes. I bought it on ebay. And since I'm speaking with them from time to time they sent me a unreleased firmware update that's made it quite snappy.

It's an adapter so not as reliable as native glass but still good.

For video usage and MF there are no issues. Having a full frame Fuji is sweet :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Ah nice. I met Kipon at Photokina and will be trying some of their adapters including that one. Leica M - Nikon Z and EOS R adapters also, and that is a good 'universal' adapter as you can then go Leica M - Canon FD, or similar.

• Administrators

It's complete sponsored content and no amount of hipsters on hover boards will convince me otherwise. I am 5 minutes in and not even a mention of soft 1080p or severe rolling shutter issues in 4K. Just a load of glossy shots on a slider. It's pathetic.

His generation more than ever before lacks a punk spirit. They are so beholden to consumerism, it's almost laughable.

Canon gave him a camera and now he's going to say mostly lovely things about it.

Maybe the bad stuff will be buried at the end in about 5 seconds.

I don't know Andrew - he does mention the crop several times, the lack of IBIS, that it's too bad it shoots 120 fps 720p and no AF, how he's not particularly fond of the touch bar, how he likes wide angle a lot, the dynamic range and low light perhaps not as good as say Sony and so on. Both the 1080p and 4K are far too soft for my taste, but others in these boards may even prefer it.

What strikes me the most is how closely Sony's colors are resembling Canon now. I'm wondering to myself whether his shirt is blue, purple or black though!

• Administrators

Got to the end. Not once does he mention the extreme rolling shutter in 4K!

It's like going for a test drive, the dealer not mentioning the steering wheel is bent, and the driver not even noticing!

55 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

@Andrew Reid is the eos r 1080 footage softer than the 1dx ii? 

They are both soft. It looks similar to the old 5D Mark III (stock video mode) in 2012. There's 6 years of Canon progress for you.

Hilarious. 

Learned a lot with that EOS R youtube test actually. Learned with my own eyes that 108060p is super soft, 720p120 is so awful I actually checked my youtube settings cause I thought auto quality dropped to 480p or something. Also learned that AF does not work in 120p which is as hilarious as it gets. 

This camera is the joke of the year. And this guy who got it for free repeating approximately 250 times in the video that the colors are amazing. Lol... 

The Z6 is cheaper, way better 4K with no crop, as good AF and colors, better slowmo, IBIS, better Dynamic range. The only pros of the EOS R vs the Nikon is the flippy screen. Not even the lenses, they are so big heavy and expensive and you can adapt all Nikon stuff to the Z anyway. 

For me it looks like the best Hybrid today for FF is 

1- Nikon

2- Sony

3- (far behind) Canon 

When Sony releases A7SIII, for videocentric people it will go above Nikon for sure. For people mainly into photo, Nikon will remain king. 
Panasonic, well it depends, we don't know the sensor quality for stills, we don't know the AF, and we know nothing about video except 4K60p. If the AF is improved over GH5 it might well be in 1st position for videocentric, and 1st or 2nd for photo centric. Let's see. 

24 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Where have you seen footage of this? I can't find any, just Z7 footage.

Use common sense and A7III vs A7RIII documentation and facts and you will know. What Z7 can do in video Z6 will and might even do better because 24mpx works better for video. 

Z7 blows the EOS R in most video aspects so will the Z6. 

@Andrew Reid is right. For those of us not using this as a vlogging camera the crop is workable. If the image surpasses that of its competition it is still the preferred option for many, particularly when you have 10 bit 4:2:2 external as well. But where the 4k really falls is the RS. If all you are doing is headshot interviews, then fine. But for any kind of movement it seems almost unusable. This is the first thing that should be mentioned. 

1 minute ago, jonpais said:

In what way does the video image quality surpass the competition I wonder?

The fantastical colors you know. The guy repeated that 250 times in the video and you can see for yourself how incredibly amazing it is. 
The guy on the A7 looks like an alien zoombie (some say it's not even him but he filmed an animal instead). On the EOS R he looks like the real guy with amazing color 3D pop skin tones. And the XT3 looks so RED it's unusable. 

image.png.f8718756cc62e93fdeb57d1de44c4a64.png

4 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Sure did :)

Kipon baveyes. I bought it on ebay. And since I'm speaking with them from time to time they sent me a unreleased firmware update that's made it quite snappy.

It's an adapter so not as reliable as native glass but still good.

For video usage and MF there are no issues. Having a full frame Fuji is sweet :)

Kipon updates can make a HUGE difference.

I had one of the first Kipon EF to M43 adapters and it was not very good for stills as sold for auto focus, many would have said it was close to unusable but after a firmware update it was pretty close to native for AFS at least.

Kipon  make great stuff.