Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless talk hots up

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Lol, welcome back to 5y ago with 1080p. 
By the way, from all videos I have seen it seems to me Z7 AF is actually better than EOS R for video. Everyone assume Canon DPAF is always the best but it does not seem that good in the R compared to other Canons. On the other end, the Z7 people had low expectation yet some footage are incredible AF wise

Yeah I have been pretty impressed with the Nikon Z7. But is is also pretty expensive. The Canon EOS-R is their cheaper one. But still no excuse to have the same old soft 1080p footage in this day and age. It is not like they don't know how to do good 1080p. Look at a C100, one of the best there is.

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah I have been pretty impressed with the Nikon Z7. But is is also pretty expensive. The Canon EOS-R is their cheaper one. But still no excuse to have the same old soft 1080p footage in this day and age. It is not like they don't know how to do good 1080p. Look at a C100, one of the best there is.

I am convinced that Canons HQ is actually in a desert somewhere for how much they sandbag

• Super Members

Saw some side by sides with the 80D today. The R kicks it hard in the nuts. For me it needs to beat the 6Dmkii. The 6D already beat the A7iii, GH5, X-T3, X-H1, etc for my usage. It is my weapon of choice for professional work. So if it doesn't feel like an upgrade to that I wont keep it.

Unfortunately I might have to wait a bit longer to find out. The EOS-R is in stock all over Sweden. But not where I've bought it. 
Turns out they are hosting some EOS-R Launch Event the October 18. And I suspect they might keep it on hold until then...

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

Saw some side by sides with the 80D today. The R kicks it hard in the nuts. For me it needs to beat the 6Dmkii. The 6D already beat the A7iii, GH5, X-T3, X-H1, etc for my usage. It is my weapon of choice for professional work. So if it doesn't feel like an upgrade to that I wont keep it.

Unfortunately I might have to wait a bit longer to find out. The EOS-R is in stock all over Sweden. But not where I've bought it. 
Turns out they are hosting some EOS-R Launch Event the October 18. And I suspect they might keep it on hold until then...

This one?

the 1080p outside footage looks alright actually and there appears to bee no issues with autofocus.

11 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Actually Z6 is cheaper than the R.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I have mine. Made sure it has a return policy :)

Since the 80D and 6DII have some of the worst 1080p images on the market that wouldn't even have impressed vs a GH2 6-7 years ago, it's not hard to kick one in the nuts.

I do like Canon's colour science and sure, not everybody will notice how soft the full frame 1080p is. It's no better than a 5D Mark III (again of 6 years ago).

The 4K is where it gets interesting. It's actually a very nice result when paired with the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, but the major reservation I have is the rolling shutter. I don't know if it's because I'm use to the newer cameras but it feels DREADFUL, worse than anything in my memory of all cameras, worse than A6500 and worse than NX1. It's going to be a deal breaker for a lot of people in 4K. Even with a 50mm on there handheld, the jello was intolerable. Hate to think what it's like at telephoto.

The ergonomics are ok broadly but in detail, there's some serious fuck-ups. You can't shoot Canon LOG in Aperture Priority mode or Programme Auto. You can only shoot Programme Auto 4K in stills mode. You cannot just hit record and have it keep the same manual settings as for stills. To access movie mode is tricky as well. It takes 3 button presses of 3 different buttons all widely spaced out on the camera. One on top and two on the back. It's very time consuming.

If you use an EF-S lens, the camera won't let you shoot 1.6x APS-C 1080p. It changes the crop of 1080p to 1.8x!

The Sigma 18-35mm thankfully is an EF mount lens so not affected.

The M-fn touch bar is a disaster. Unusable. Complete jack-pot what setting your swipes end up at. Better to use it not at all, or with button-like tapping motion. Then imagine it as the most easy to accidentally knock two buttons on a camera ever.

In movie mode you can't take a still.

What I do like - Codec, colour, AF (not perfect though), EVF is nice. Back screen nice and detailed. The 4k is a little soft but I actually prefer less sharpening in 4K, easier on the eye and more cinematic. The 1080p is pretty shit and the 120p is atrocious!

I think for all but the most die-hard canon STILLS shooters, for video there are better deals out there. A LOT of better deals out there.

That said, I don't HATE it. I think the system has potential in the future once they bring out a higher-end model.

I think the end-results can still be nice, if you have the fast aperture / nice lenses to match that 1.8x crop and do a locked-down shooting style, little movement.

Canon's colour science and motion cadence are the best. It has decent AF. It has a flippy screen. The GH5 falls short on all 3 of those aspects. Also as Mattias pointed out to me, you can use the different digital IS modes like a digital-telephoto feature. The most extreme crop (looks like 2.4x) IS does produce very soft 4K though. The other mode seems to be a nice compromise, but still no replacement for proper IBIS like on the Z6 and Z7.

I'd take the X-T3 over this camera any day, with Fuji's wonderful lens line-up and 4K/60p.

The EOS R, if I keep it, will only get used for stills. It's a good stills camera, and Mattias will enjoy it for that.

DSC_0103.JPG

• Super Members

Thanks for the write up!

As long as the video is on par with the 6Dmkii I'm all good :) Then its an upgrade with lots of new features and can be my new pro video camera. The stills as you say will most likely be to my liking so that I'm not worried about.

The only other cameras that interest me is the Z6, which isn't available. And the A7iii which unfortunately has two deal breakers that I cant get by. No matter how much mental gymnastics I do with "ifs" and "buts".

So I will probably buy the Z6 when its out and let them go head to head for the spot.

For casual usage Im all in on compacts with my DP1 and GRiii on preorder :)

On 10/8/2018 at 3:56 AM, Django said:

..yet in Jordans video segment, a lot of the footage is labelled "EOS R 1080/24P with electronic stabilization".

imo @Jordan Drake should have used full frame lenses such as the RF 24-105mm or EF 16-35mm L for those FHD shots with EIS.

As mentioned in the episode, when we switched to shooting 1080P I also switched to the RF 24-105mm F4 L IS. The EF-S 17-55mm was only used for the 4K sequences.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

As long as the video is on par with the 6Dmkii I'm all good :) Then its an upgrade with lots of new features and can be my new pro video camera.

I suppose it's easy to forget that a lot of clients aren't very demanding on image quality especially when it's destined for the web.

If it gets the job done, then great.

2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

The stills as you say will most likely be to my liking so that I'm not worried about.

The only other cameras that interest me is the Z6, which isn't available. And the A7iii which unfortunately has two deal breakers that I cant get by. No matter how much mental gymnastics I do with "ifs" and "buts".

So I will probably buy the Z6 when its out and let them go head to head for the spot.

For casual usage Im all in on compacts with my DP1 and GRiii on preorder :)

What about the X-T3? Going to take a look at it?

• Super Members

@Andrew Reid No Im skipping the X-T3. I had the X-T2 twice, switched for the X-Pro2 both times (no need to switch drive mode for video was a big selling point). Ive also had the X-T20... so and so. X-E3.. loved it!
And currently Im really enjoying the X-H1, with the EF speed booster Im getting a lot of artistically interesting results. Nothing for peepers and sports shooters.. 

All this boils down to a decision: Im gonna wait for the X-H2 :)

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Jordan Drake said:

As mentioned in the episode, when we switched to shooting 1080P I also switched to the RF 24-105mm F4 L IS. The EF-S 17-55mm was only used for the 4K sequences.

Nice to see you here Jordan.

I think for 4K you'd be better off throwing an 18-135mm IS in the bag. It's a lot cheaper than the 24-105 too. Then again in EF-S crop mode, the stills are only 12MP and at 135mm the rolling shutter is going to be unmanageable anyway the moment anything moves. I am surprised you didn't mention the rolling shutter in the DPR TV episode, because it's BAAAAD. Surpassing some of the worst I have ever seen... and I have seen the A6500!

There are also strange limitations on Canon LOG, like it has to be used in full manual mode only. I do a LOT of shooting in Aperture Priority mode - why can't you use LOG in that?! Can on other cameras.

The other thing driving me mad is I find the 3 presses to get in / out of video mode is really unnecessary.... considering Canon used to have the nice live view switch. What happened to that?!

15 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

@Andrew ReidAnd currently Im really enjoying the X-H1, with the EF speed booster Im getting a lot of artistically interesting results. Nothing for peepers and sports shooters.. 

Did you manage to find an EF Speed Booster with autofocus?