Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless talk hots up

Andrew Reid

What you still can't hardly get a Nikon D850 new?? Heck even a used one is only 175 bucks cheaper than new at around 3200 bucks! Interesting. The Z7 is only a few bucks more. I would think the Z7 is probably the better camera even for photos? Maybe not sports but.. But then you would use the Nikon D5.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

I have an EOS R on the way in the UK. In stock at most places. So I will review it, at least. Whether I keep it or send it back, I am not sure. I can't see myself being as enthusiastic about using it for video versus some of the similarly priced alternatives like the A7 III and Nikon Z6 (clearly technically superior for 4K in every way) let alone what else I have to play with at the moment (X-T3, etc.). But I do intend to explore what it has to offer at least, keeping some small flame of Canon alive on the site. A few EOSHD articles and maybe a guide if I end up using it more often. Can probably get some nice stills from it even if it doesn't work out for video. I won't be using the native R mount lenses on it, will be using the EF adapter... a bit like a mirrorless 5D IV. Also might be able to run some Magic Lantern tests on it to help A1ex and co, so thought it was worth a purchase.

I am sort of amazed that Canon didn't offer 2 bodies just like Nikon did? Sure the Z6 is sort of vaporware, but why couldn't Canon have done the same with a higher end one? They Had to know Nikon was coming out with 2 bodies. All these company's now seem to be announcing cameras that aren't going to be shipped a least 6 months from now. To me, a damn disturbing trend. Vaporware on Steroids!

Hell in that amount of time some crazy breakthrough could come out and you are waiting for a 57 Chevy.

ok take this information with a grain of salt, it's late and I've only had minutes of test time here & there today and am reviewing random test shots, but it would appear to my eyes that the FHD (EF-S) cropped mode (using EF glass) appears better than the regular FF FHD. Could be placebo effect, no real ways to measure atm, but could it be that Canon has implemented something similar to the 1DC FHD S35 mode, which is known to be superior to FF FHD? I can confirm that external FHD recording when in 4K crop mode renders superior (4K downsampled?) IQ just like the 1DC/1DX2/5D4. 

FHD FF external to ProRes is also great (to be expected).. Internal FF FHD...meh. 

Still need to do quite bit testing (haven't even touched 4k yet). So far loving the ergonomics/shooting. DPAF does seem a little laggy/quirky, but haven't messed with all the AF settings.

Overall kinda mixed feelings, it's no full replacement to a Canon DSLR/Cxxx.. but does seem to combine many features (& quirks) of the recent Canon line.. TBC

1 hour ago, Django said:

ok take this information with a grain of salt, it's late and I've only had minutes of test time here & there today and am reviewing random test shots, but it would appear to my eyes that the FHD (EF-S) cropped mode (using EF glass) appears better than the regular FF FHD. Could be placebo effect, no real ways to measure atm, but could it be that Canon has implemented something similar to the 1DC FHD S35 mode, which is known to be superior to FF FHD? I can confirm that external FHD recording when in 4K crop mode renders superior (4K downsampled?) IQ just like the 1DC/1DX2/5D4. 

FHD FF external to ProRes is also great (to be expected).. Internal FF FHD...meh. 

Still need to do quite bit testing (haven't even touched 4k yet). So far loving the ergonomics/shooting. DPAF does seem a little laggy/quirky, but haven't messed with all the AF settings.

Overall kinda mixed feelings, it's no full replacement to a Canon DSLR/Cxxx.. but does seem to combine many features (& quirks) of the recent Canon line.. TBC

what about 10 bit 4:2:2 out? restricted to 4k?

Yes 4k only.. but I fear there are bigger problems at stake. I'm definitely experiencing some major video AF issues. It's laggy, steppy, hunts.. and gets totally lost on low contrast subjects.

It is simply nowhere near as accurate and as smooth as my (first gen) C100 DPAF. And even for stills we are nowhere near 5D3 and plus body AF-C.

Now do keep in mind I'm only using USM adapted glass, and have heard similar poor AF performance with adapted lenses on the Z too so I don't wanna single out EOS R, but this could be a serious deal breaker if you're counting on using video AF with legacy L glass. This is a preliminary report and will have to try and mess with the sensitivity/speed settings and see if things improve but right now it's not looking good..at all. ?

• Super Members

I don't intend to use AF for video on any camera. But for stills it doesn't sound good at all. Thats where the AF has to be good for me.
So far adapting my EF lenses to Sony,  m4/3 and Fuji with or without speedbooster have been.. meh. 

Maybe I will have to stick to DSLRs as A-cam for a few more generations.

For stills the AF is 100 times snappier than video AF, and in single point it does fine. Except in low contrast situations and this is where i fear that EOS-R's phase only AF may be at fault.

There are some advantages over DSLR's such as full coverage and the touch&drag feature is pretty neat, perhaps even faster then joystick control, especially for a lefty like me since i can set AF point control to left side and keep my right thumb on AF-ON (i'm a back button focus shooter).

As of right now, I can't really say I'd recommend EOS-R unless you are a hardcore Canon shooter and even then, this would be a B-cam to your 5D/1DX/Cxxx.

Z6 is looking like the most promissing new MILC to me with it's hybrid AF system, IBIS etc..

• Super Members

That sound a little more reassuring since Im a single/center point guy, never even tried anything else on most of the cameras I've had.

Regarding the Z, if I had a bunch of Nikon glass it would have been no question. For me the glass I have dictates the camera.
I've switched my lens lineup many times before and its just to time consuming. In the trade deal I did I got $5 less than I paid for my 6Dmkii brand new!! So I can always buy one again of the R doesn't work out. Should be an easy sell.

Yeah I also traded in gear and even got a discount so hardly put up anything for the camera. Of course that doesn't mean I won't dump it if it severely underperforms.

I don't wanna sound too harsh though as I've really not spent much time with the camera yet and big heavy adapted USM glass is probably far from optimal usage.

I can't wait to try out the RF 35mm 1.8 IS lens, really sucks it isn't available on launch, hardly any test pics or footage from it either..

• Super Members

Same here, it usually doesn't take much for me to abandon a camera. And the more expensive it is the more sensitive I get about it.
The 35mm is in my sights as well. When adapting EF to other systems I notice substantial differences depending on camera and lens combinations. So I assume it will vary on the R as well. 

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

@Mattias Burling Why don't you use video AF? Surely manual focus with non-linear lenses are a pain in the ass. And you're not going to switch to classic lenses every time you want to pop off a video?

Imo, AF for video isn't invented yet :)

All kidding aside, I have never tried any AF (including DPAF) thats as fast, smooth and accurate as good old MF, even without peaking. Which if we are honest sometimes is more a miss than hit compared to a crisp screen..

• Super Members

My 50mm f1.8 STM is very quick on my G80 compared to for example the 85mm USM. Wouldn't surprise me if it rang true on the R as well.

BTW, the camera is still in stock in my hometown as well as the big retailers. But in the store I ordered from.. not so much :)

EDIT: Just watched the full length of Gordons video. They ISO is definitely a step up from my 6Dmkii... looks really good imo.