Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless talk hots up

Andrew Reid

7 hours ago, Inazuma said:

Check out the Eos m50. It has better 1080p than most of canon's dslr's

thanks for that - I did check it out but from what I've seen is still soft compared to c100 and was hoping to be able to use clog on both cameras. Could you point me to any decent examples of m50 footage? Sorry for the off topic

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
49 minutes ago, Django said:

@ade towell EOS R is imo the best B-cam to C100. That is how I will be using it. C Log even has a "Cinema EOS Classic"  option to match C100/300 color matrix. You must use RF or quality L glass though to get most of it.

Judging from the few examples I've seen the Eos-r video is not very good and definitely not worth the £2750 they're asking if I want to use my ef and efs lenses (with variable nd adaptor).  I could buy 2 more c100's for that, and am really not wanting to invest in a new set of lenses on top. I'm better off keeping my Canon 750d for stills and using Panansonic gh2 as b camera for video (easier to match with c100 due to 750d video being soft and mushy) - was just hoping that by now Canon would offer a  decent reasonably priced hybrid so I wouldn't need to carry so many cameras

17 minutes ago, ade towell said:

Judging from the few examples I've seen the Eos-r video is not very good and definitely not worth the £2750 they're asking if I want to use my ef and efs lenses (with variable nd adaptor).  I could buy 2 more c100's for that, and am really not wanting to invest in a new set of lenses on top. I'm better off keeping my Canon 750d for stills and using Panansonic gh2 as b camera for video (easier to match with c100 due to 750d video being soft and mushy) - was just hoping that by now Canon would offer a  decent hybrid so I wouldn't need to carry so many cameras

Fair enough, although i wouldn't rule out it's IQ totally until you try it with your own lenses or better footage appears (again a lot of shots in that dpreview are actually closer to 720p which is highly misleading).

That being said I am not expecting EOS R to equate let alone beat the C100's FHD IQ which is downsampled from 4K and has great detail, motion etc..

I am hoping EOS R will complement C100 with Full Frame FHD & 4K for super detailed close-up shots. And of course double up as a nice 30MP FF stills shooter.

Also looking forward to the more advanced touch based DPAF and also MF Guides (inherited from C200/C300 II) for precise manual rack pulls.

Everybody's needs are different though. For me, the real star of this system are the new lenses and paired to the body, sum becomes greater than parts. 

1 hour ago, ade towell said:

thanks for that - I did check it out but from what I've seen is still soft compared to c100 and was hoping to be able to use clog on both cameras. Could you point me to any decent examples of m50 footage? Sorry for the off topic

I haven't seen any direct examples but I linked some charts from dpreview here:

Doesn't have CLOG but at least you can use the same lenses with the same FOVs between the two cameras.

1 hour ago, Django said:

Also looking forward to the more advanced touch based DPAF and also MF Guides (inherited from C200/C300 II) for precise manual rack pulls.

The MF Guides are the triangles that will turn green when focus is hit, right? I assume, since it uses the DPAF, that it only works with native EF lenses and not vintage or adapted mount lenses?

5 hours ago, plucas said:

Much like the M50 with a speedbooster.

Perhaps they really did add the crop because the old sensor technology led to overheating. If they wanted to merely protect their 1DX/1DC and cinema line, they could have limited the crop to something like 1.3x and limited the negative press. Or even better, take out the crop from 24/24fps 4k and leave it in the 30fps like the A7iii.

1.7X, in my experience with the M50 + speedbooster in 4K, makes depth of field difficult.

Given the rolling shutter and low FPS, I'd say part of the reason for the crop is the slow sensor readout time. Canon sensors don't have readout times as fast as Sony's outside of the one in the 1dx2. Canon's higher MP sensors are really bad in that regard.

Chris

7 hours ago, Django said:

You must use RF or quality L glass though to get most of it.

Not sure I agree simply because there is a huge variation between L lenses and some non L lenses are very good (some APSC lenses too).        Sometimes, L lenses are better built or don't need a switch to change to manual focus but optically there might not be much difference.

The better L lenses are pretty special I think but some are good- just not great.        I have had five EF L lenses (and four FD L lenses) and also non L lenses like the 40 2.8 STM and EF 100 f2 and the 40 and 100 are optically as good or better than some of the older EF L lenses for instance.

I also find even my EF-S APSC kit lens (18-55 IS ii) is not THAT much worse than my old EF 20-35 2.8 L (though I do love that old lens).

Better Sigma lenses would also be a nice fit I think.

From that review, it looks like a good system for the future and a decent enough camera for a start - if they manage to sort out the firmware.

Personally, what I don't understand besides the 'interesting' ergonomics is the focusing during video and the touchscreen. How could they become worse compared to a 6D II, 5D IV or 1DX II? (sawyerhartman also said the same thing)

• Super Members
34 minutes ago, Django said:

@Mattias Burling I just picked up my pre-order unit from local store, but noticed online this morning there was limited but available (direct purchase) stock at a major retail chain here in paris.. so i'd make some phone calls around if i were you ;) 

I could, and would most likely get one from my local store that always have the latest and the obscurest but no online store :)

There is just one huge snag in that plan.. I was offered a trade deal that was to good to pass up at another place. Plus they had an additional 15% weekend sale on everything in the store... so I will have to wait... Hopefully it gets here soon so I don't go nuts from stalking it on Instagram.

EDIT: Just checked the largest  camera store chain and they have +20 in stock, spread out in the country. So its out there if one wants one ASAP.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

The best "insert tech here" on the market today is the one that meets your own personal needs best. It's that simple.

No, it should be the camera you want is probably 2 to 3 times the money you Really need LoL. There is not one of these new cameras that can do really anything much better than a camera that is 4 or 5 years old.

I guess price is a personal need too!

But any camera opinion like "this is the best' or "this is the worst" is very much aligned with that person's needs. 

For instance, if I told my brother that the Canon R sucks because it has a crop on 4K, he would laugh and say "I don't use video, who cares.. but that Nikon sucks because [insert photography issue here]".