Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless talk hots up

Andrew Reid

Did you guys see the Devin Graham in depth review on the eos r vs.1dx ii, pertaining to focusing? He did a demonstration & it proved to be quite a bit worse. I hope they can improve it through firmware, but I will probably just wait for their next body aimed at pros. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, Django said:

Keep in mind folks Jordan used a slow cheapo 10-18mm EF-S lens on that Hawaii footage. So he's already in APS-C crop mode, adding further crop with EIS, shooting mainly in 1080p with an optically bottom range slow aperture ultra-wide lens. Hence some noisy/soft shots. not exactly the best testing combo imo.

DPAF Face Tracking, it isn't magic. If you got several faces in the shot, it may trip. A73 is even more unreliable in such circumstances.

Jordan is not using 10-18mm, no way 10-18mm will give you that dof and no distortion, if you see the photo he uses 17-55mm F2.8 which optically is way better than kit lens.

that foliage with just Chris shows busy back and forth.. I dont have that on my M50! 

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Snowbro said:

It's nice when you are on a gimbal & have a fast lens. I also have never had it fail me or look bad doing an interview. If I had a crew, I would do MF more. 

On a Gimbal I can understand for sure. Even though I usually set a distance if its possible. I'm not a fan of gimbals so it is very rare for me.

I've used it once for an interview just to try it, worked fine. Will test with the EOS-R next time (if I get it in time).

10 hours ago, ade towell said:

Been looking, hoping, waiting for a decent b camera (that also takes stills) from Canon to cut with the c100 for what seems like forever - watching that video the EOS-r is still not it. Come on Canon, it is getting embarassing

I've used that 10-18mm EF-S lens on the c100 and it is plenty sharp enough

Have you ever tried the EF-S 10-22mm on the C100?? I have that lens. And yeah pretty sure Jordan used a 17-55mm F2.8.  I think they even said it in the video?

57 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

And yeah pretty sure Jordan used a 17-55mm F2.8.  I think they even said it in the video?

Your hearing’s still pretty good for an old man. ?

Right, they’re not shooting with the 10-18 - but there’s no reason they shouldn’t have been able to shoot sharp video with that lens either.

10-18 isn't exactly a kit lens either though a bargain priced lens.

I wanted one for my Sony A7s to see how much I could use it FF and now I have a cheap old Canon APSC DSLR, I could really be happy using it.

If I had a Canon R, I think it would be one of the first lenses I would get for it.

Just watched the Dpreview video from Chris and Jordan. Its funny to see them squirm and try to find anything positive to say about the R since they're in Hawaii on Canon's dime. Underwhelming doesn't even begin to describe the R, especially since Canon had two years after the 5d4 to improve its sensor and 5 years of watching Sony to figure out FF mirrorless. Even the standout feature - DPAF - looks straight up awful. But the AF is not so bad compared to the video, which is an embarrassment - especially compared to the a73.

Fail.

Chris

15 hours ago, ade towell said:

Been looking, hoping, waiting for a decent b camera (that also takes stills) from Canon to cut with the c100 for what seems like forever - watching that video the EOS-r is still not it. Come on Canon, it is getting embarassing

I've used that 10-18mm EF-S lens on the c100 and it is plenty sharp enough

Check out the Eos m50. It has better 1080p than most of canon's dslr's

1 hour ago, Trek of Joy said:

Just watched the Dpreview video from Chris and Jordan. Its funny to see them squirm and try to find anything positive to say about the R since they're in Hawaii on Canon's dime. Underwhelming doesn't even begin to describe the R, especially since Canon had two years after the 5d4 to improve its sensor and 5 years of watching Sony to figure out FF mirrorless. Even the standout feature - DPAF - looks straight up awful. But the AF is not so bad compared to the video, which is an embarrassment - especially compared to the a73.

Fail.

Chris

Out of likes. Yeah to me it is just about the least effort other than the lenses they could have done. If it had IBIS and no crop, or say a 1.3 crop well sure, but what a let down for Canon shooters. And $2,299.00 to boot. At the least bring out the high end one at the same time, and not some goofy 4000 plus dollar thing. They just seem clueless to me. This puts them pretty much dead last on all the new stuff that has come out.

If they Canon D50 and this latest EOS R had pushed the boundaries a bit it would actually give me some temptation to go with Canon. I was just looking at getting an EOS M50, just to be able to use with Canon glass. Really a bummer they didn't put IBIS in it, and 2.5 crop 4k with terrible rolling shutter ?

Just now, thebrothersthre3 said:

If they Canon D50 and this latest EOS R had pushed the boundaries a bit it would actually give me some temptation to go with Canon. I was just looking at getting an EOS M50, just to be able to use with Canon glass. Really a bummer they didn't put IBIS in it, and 2.5 crop 4k with terrible rolling shutter ?

Supposedly there will be 2 new M bodies in 2019, rumored to finally have 4k dpaf. It will be more expensive than an M50 though, money will probably best be spent somewhere else. 

RF > EF-L > EF/EF-S. 

The main benefit of getting an EOS R imo is to get access to the new RF lens system.

I'd still favor a 5D4/1DX2/1DC if it weren't for the introduction of this new lens mount/line-up.

Optical quality aside, putting an EF-S lens (wether 10-18, 17-55 etc) on a EOS-R doesn't make much sense if you are shooting FHD, since you are cropping in and getting results closer to 720p (not to mention losing FF FoV). Which is again why a lot of those DPReview shots appear so soft (EF-S+EIS+FHD). Especially VS a C100 which is a native Super35/APS-C sensor that downscales from 4K. If your goal is to use EF-S lenses, you are better off with a cheaper M body + adapters.

6 minutes ago, Django said:

Optical quality aside, putting an EF-S lens (wether 10-18, 17-55 etc) on a EOS-R doesn't make much sense if you are shooting FHD, since you are cropping in and getting results closer to 720p (not to mention losing FF FoV). Which is again why a lot of those DPReview shots appear so soft (EF-S+EIS+FHD).

Chris says Jordan is shooting 4K video.

23 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

DPReview said 1.74x crop was the 5D Mk IV in 4096x2160

Now they are saying same 1.7-ish crop on the EOS R even though it only crops 3840 x 2160 from the same sensor.

So it is more like a 1.8x crop in 4K and that is before you turn on EIS, which makes it a 2x-ish crop at least.

Much like the M50 with a speedbooster.

Perhaps they really did add the crop because the old sensor technology led to overheating. If they wanted to merely protect their 1DX/1DC and cinema line, they could have limited the crop to something like 1.3x and limited the negative press. Or even better, take out the crop from 24/24fps 4k and leave it in the 30fps like the A7iii.

1.7X, in my experience with the M50 + speedbooster in 4K, makes depth of field difficult.