Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless talk hots up

Andrew Reid

3 hours ago, ntblowz said:

I have to disagree with you on that, no way in hell it is sharp as c100mkii based on my m50 with the bloody same digic8 codec, it is sharper than previous digic7 but still miles off from c100

Huge difference between all-i and ipb. I have not been impressed with a single m50 video; the skin always looks flat, almost cartoon like. No detail. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah the beefier ALL-I codec surely helps.. a bit.. but i think the RF lenses with the optical in cam optimizations and overall tack-sharp performance are probably the bigger assets.. the 50 F1.2 is just really something else, even wide open. Kind of blown away by it tbh. In 4K the detail is insane. And in FHD it is daaamn good too. Does it equate the C100's downsampled from 4K FHD IQ? With EF lenses on both, probably not. But with the RF's.. imo it's a close call. I don't own the camera yet, but i will try and set-up some comparison shots with my C100 since some of you seem interested. I do have an atomos, so it will also be interesting to compare without codecs in the equation.. in any case i'm pretty sure already EOS R will be a great B-cam to a C100/200/300!

6 hours ago, Django said:

Yeah the beefier ALL-I codec surely helps.. a bit.. but i think the RF lenses with the optical in cam optimizations and overall tack-sharp performance are probably the bigger assets.. the 50 F1.2 is just really something else, even wide open. Kind of blown away by it tbh. In 4K the detail is insane. And in FHD it is daaamn good too. Does it equate the C100's downsampled from 4K FHD IQ? With EF lenses on both, probably not. But with the RF's.. imo it's a close call. I don't own the camera yet, but i will try and set-up some comparison shots with my C100 since some of you seem interested. I do have an atomos, so it will also be interesting to compare without codecs in the equation.. in any case i'm pretty sure already EOS R will be a great B-cam to a C100/200/300!

Yes I'd be interested in seeing 1080p with EF lenses on both cameras (same one). Also if the 1080 does 10 bit 4:2:2 out. The rolling shutter makes it difficult to use in 4k. 

@Mattias Burling didn't get to test audio input yet

@Yurolov the manual does state that 10-bit CLOG out option is 4k only. i do still have hope the FHD hdmi out is at least 4:2:2 but we'll have to see.

Speaking of digital IS, it has 2 settings (normal & enhanced) with 2 crop factors. i didn't notice much if any quality loss on either settings. i know most people loathe digital IS & crop factors (and so do i in most circumstances) but it was kind of fun turning my 35mm into a 55/85/105mm on the fly..

• Super Members

I used digital IS on the 6D all the time. Loved it and if its just as good or better on the EOS-R I will continue to use it.

BTW, saw some people confirming that their dealers had received their first batches. I preordered quite late so I'm probably far from first in line. Hopefully Canon has more muscle in the production chain than Nikon and BMD.

26 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

@Django do you know if one can setup switching between HD and 4K on a custom button, my menu, etc?

Manual doesn't indicate any direct one button movie resolution configuration. I'm sure my menu probably allows "movie recording quality".

But imo, the fastest way to switch between HD & 4K is to simply switch in between the 3 custom movie modes. Either by hitting mode and turning the dial or by assigning Mfn button to custom mode.

8 hours ago, Yurolov said:

Not the best of reviews. Video looks soft and noisy. The 10 bit looks to be the way to go. 

6 hours ago, jonpais said:

Chris and Jordan can always be counted on to deliver a thoughtful and honest review and thankfully they haven't changed a bit since leaving TCSTV.

Yeah I just watched the review. Video quality is ultra soft and lacking detail. Just goes to show high bitrate isn't everything...

17 hours ago, Yurolov said:

Not the best of reviews. Video looks soft and noisy. The 10 bit looks to be the way to go. 

Video AF looks like GH5 half of the time, and front focus too like Caleb encountered. My M50 have better Video AF than that! EIS make footage really soft and warpy as usual, hence I only use OIS on M50.

Hope the Video AF will be fixed for final firmware.

I still firmly believe that EOS-R 1080P is no where close to C100 at all.

• Administrators
On 10/6/2018 at 8:39 AM, Snowbro said:

1.74x is what people have said engineers told them it was. I always hear 1.7-1.8x. 

DPReview said 1.74x crop was the 5D Mk IV in 4096x2160

Now they are saying same 1.7-ish crop on the EOS R even though it only crops 3840 x 2160 from the same sensor.

So it is more like a 1.8x crop in 4K and that is before you turn on EIS, which makes it a 2x-ish crop at least.

Keep in mind folks Jordan used a slow cheapo 10-18mm EF-S lens on that Hawaii footage. So he's already in APS-C crop mode, adding further crop with EIS, shooting mainly in 1080p with an optically bottom range slow aperture ultra-wide lens. Hence some noisy/soft shots. not exactly the best testing combo imo.

DPAF Face Tracking, it isn't magic. If you got several faces in the shot, it may trip. A73 is even more unreliable in such circumstances.

EIS also has it's limits, it isn't IBIS or a gimbal.. if you're doing severe motion, you'll get some warping.

I'll be putting all these things to the test once I get my unit next week but you do have to be a little realistic over expectations/limitations of all these features.