Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless talk hots up

Andrew Reid

3 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

That guy is awesome. Tells it like it is. Breath of fresh air.

Seriously?! I’m not being a smart ass here... but what does he say? I heard about 3 minutes of nothing with Caleb Pike and eoshd thrown in there. His set looks like a stripper’s champagne lounge. Honestly, I don’t mean to be hard on him. I don’t know his name and I hate all of those videos. I can’t watch most of Caleb Pike videos either before I X out of them. The whole medium bores me.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, jonpais said:

My thoughts exactly. Not a shill.

Actually what you said is that "Sony sLog looks pretty soft in 4K as well if you don’t add sharpening in post".

You clearly did not say you can dial it down as much as you like.

Readers can interpret that however they see fit. 

I'm willing to share all the S-Log images you like: a bouquet of flowers, some teenage girls at the coffee shop, whatever you like. hehehe

Sorry, I guess I did word it that way, thanks for bringing it to my attention... I hope Sony didn’t lose any sales due to my misstatement.  

Btw, you do realize I was defending Sony video for not being over sharpened?

Please, there is no need to prove anything, Jon. As the old saying goes... 15 posts will get you 20 views.

I like that video from Indonsesia. Beautiful vignette, very well edited, framed and with adequate color. If HD image is 10bit as well externally and if it has full HDMI port, this camera is very tempting. So would be a FS700. That external 10bit image is super cinematic, better than c300mkii in my opinion! I think instead of a eos r get a fs700 with its 4k 10+12bit upgrade and a Shogun, both possibly close in  price. What started as a praise for the Canon has ended with a flirt with the Sony. :)

I have watched him a few times. Yeah he is different, but usually right. Canon has bought Nothing new to the game on this camera. It is the same old 6D type bullshit. Soft 1080p, cropped as hell 4K, overpriced, no IBIS crap from the past. It had nothing new other than that stupid swipe thing in the way of where there should have been focus lock buttons, etc..A Total wasted space of a on off switch to boot. It is a joke plain and simple. The Fuji XT3 kills it for 800 dollars less. Typical Canon horseshit. And Caleb acts like it is the second coming of Christ. It even isn't a polished turd, it is just an overpriced plain wrapped turd with overpriced lenses from hell on top of it that 12 people will buy. And Like I said before and a ND adapter that is Totally useless if you buy into the R lenses. Crazy shit. I have a Throttle ND that does that for a LOT less money. They need to go out of business. Of All the new cameras that have came out it is the Last one in hell I would buy. It's an overpriced Canon T2i with half assed 4K thrown in..

Pentax and Canon ought to merge. The old school club. The old "we have been selling this shit for years" Thingy. They had the chance to kick Everyone's Ass, no they can't do that, hell no.

16 minutes ago, mercer said:

Sorry, I guess I did word it that way, thanks for bringing it to my attention... I hope Sony didn’t lose any sales due to my misstatement.  

Btw, you do realize I was defending Sony video for not being over sharpened?

Please, there is no need to prove anything, Jon. As the old saying goes... 15 posts will get you 20 views.

no, I didn't realize you were defending anybody. Is someone on trial here?

maybe you should be their spokesperson. LOL

9 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I have watched him a few times. Yeah he is different, but usually right. Canon has bought Nothing new to the game on this camera. It is the same old 6D type bullshit. Soft 1080p, cropped as hell 4K, overpriced, no IBIS crap from the past. It had nothing new other than that stupid swipe thing in the way of where there should have been focus lock buttons, etc..A Total wasted space of a on off switch to boot. It is a joke plain and simple. The Fuji XT3 kills it for 800 dollars less. Typical Canon horseshit. And Caleb acts like it is the second coming of Christ. It even isn't a polished turd, it is just an overpriced plain wrapped turd with overpriced lenses from hell on top of it that 12 people will buy. And Like I said before and a ND adapter that is Totally useless if you buy into the R lenses. Crazy shit. I have a Throttle ND that does that for a LOT less money. They need to go out of business. Of All the new cameras that have came out it is the Last one in hell I would buy.

And 720p 120fps. And no FHD 10-bit. "R" stands for revolutionary. As in 1980s.

10 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

Now I know why you are in south-east Asia, it makes sense now 

Speaking of, you might be surprised to learn that child marriage is alive and well back in the good ole USA, where, between 2000 and 2015, over 200,000 minors were legally married. So since it's clear that your brain is located in your crotch, no need to leave home.

3 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Speaking of, you might be surprised to learn that child marriage is alive and well back in the good ole USA, where, between 2000 and 2015, over 200,000 minors were legally married. So since it's clear that your brain is located in your crotch, no need to leave home.

You are pretty creepy 

The video I posted is very soft. But to be fair much of it is shot in 720p so I wouldn't take too much out of it unless you need 120 fps.

The first two shots look to be in 4k and are crisp and sharp, but they seemed to have missed focus a few times. In the hands of a better operator these issues are nonexistent. What I like is that the colors are fantastic with the clog and the image has a nice organic feel to it. In that sense, the image looks like what you would get from a c100 but in a portable form factor and with great still capabilities. I think people that disregard this camera are more interested in specs than what the image looks like.    

I enjoyed the video bunches - grungy b&w, a stompin' soundtrack, a gorgeous playmate model - but results like that could have been effortlessly achieved or surpassed with something as pedestrian as a three year-old $500 Lumix G7 - and they have been!

• Administrators

This thread and quite a few others have some really bad taste comments in it which lower the tone of the forum, not just a bit but a lot.

And it is almost always you involved @jonpais

I will have to decide Jon whether you are still welcome or whether it would be better for the community if you used a different place.

You have no idea how tired I am of it.

Final warning.

I had a go at the EOS R today. Took a while to wrap my head around it and get it fully setup the way I liked but was a happy camper after that.

I'm happy to report the 1080p is a lot sharper then 5D3/5D4 (almost C100 sharp) especially with the awesome RF lenses (the 50mm 1.2 RF is crazy btw).

4K has poor RS.. but the ALL-I codec produces pretty thick quality files with nice motion. C-log looks really good too (with classic EOS cinema & C200 color matrix options).

Movie IS coupled to the bi-directional lens IS was really steady. 

Stuck my 35mm 1.4L via adapter and was pretty much close to native performance..

All in all i'm pretty pleased/impressed by the camera (despite its obvious limitations) and look forward to trying it out further once I acquire it next week.

PS: i'm having trouble reading the 4K MP4 files inside Davinci/FCPX (getting media offline error) anyone know what that's about??

24 minutes ago, Django said:

I had a go at the EOS R today. Took a while to wrap my head around it and get it fully setup the way I liked but was a happy camper after that.

I'm happy to report the 1080p is a lot sharper then 5D3/5D4 (almost C100 sharp) especially with the awesome RF lenses (the 50mm 1.2 RF is crazy btw).

4K has poor RS.. but the ALL-I codec produces pretty thick quality files with nice motion. C-log looks really good too (with classic EOS cinema & C200 color matrix options).

Movie IS coupled to the bi-directional lens IS was really steady. 

Stuck my 35mm 1.4L via adapter and was pretty much close to native performance..

All in all i'm pretty pleased/impressed by the camera (despite its obvious limitations) and look forward to trying it out further once I acquire it next week.

PS: i'm having trouble reading the 4K MP4 files inside Davinci/FCPX (getting media offline error) anyone know what that's about??

Do you have any external recorders? If so, could you confirm if it is true that the 10 bit 422 in clog is only available in 4k & not 1080p?

2 hours ago, Django said:

I have to disagree with you on that, no way in hell it is sharp as c100mkii based on my m50 with the bloody same digic8 codec, it is sharper than previous digic7 but still miles off from c100

19F45595-D3AE-4557-9A93-5C9FF32477E3.jpeg

It simply isn't as good, the 1080p gap stays solid between them.

By the way, don't think the Digic 8 is at fault here, it the combination of the sensor itself and also Canon simply not giving us an (internal) option like they did with the 1DC. A sharp, crisp, downsampled Super 35mm crop mode in 1080p resolution and perfectly manageable file sizes. At least the 1DX II could have done this, surely.