Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless talk hots up

Andrew Reid

I  think I would look on the camera as having been pretty much designed to be a EF mount camera and they will throw in a few exotic R lenses for bragging rights.     More regular lenses will come but maybe not for a while.

SINCE the R was announced, there have been more Sony E mount lenses announced than this camera will have in a year or more I think.

Treat it as an EF mount camera and it makes a lot more sense to me.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, noone said:

SINCE the R was announced, there have been more Sony E mount lenses announced than this camera will have in a year or more I think.

A year? More like five years. ?

1 minute ago, Django said:

Pair the ND adapter with a couple of these..

topshot1_31.jpg?itok=Y7sWw52I

add an atomos V for that 10-bit 4:2:2 goodness, and set focus to MF Guide mode  and you got yourself a nice mini C200 on the cheap..

They’re almost free! Only $6,000 for a set of three.

I went to my local camera shop yesterday had some hands on time with the CANON EOS R... As someone who owned the a7iii for a couple of weeks and then sold it... It was like night and day. My biggest takeaway was that the flippy screen LCD and the EVF were far superior to that in the a7iii. The quality was outstanding. The adapter also worked pretty great when adapting EF glass. The adapter is much nicer too because it is weather resistant. When talking with the rep, he mentioned that the weather resistance of EOS R+Adapter+L-Glass combo would be equivalent the 5DmkIV and not 1DXMKii. This beats the a7III+MC11+L-Glass combo if you live in a weather prone area. The adapter was also really nice because it has a ring that you can assign another function, like aperture!! The inclusion of timecode and focus peaking was good too. How was the DPAF? It was  reallllyy nice. The a7iii with native glass was really good, but was the DPAF was just a bit better. Overall, I am excited for the camera, but I would want to wait til it's about $1,600 or so...

It doesn’t inspire much confidence in a system when a brand spanking new camera drops by a whopping $700 the day after removing the bubble wrap. Particularly when the owner is entitled to a full refund of the original purchase price within 30 days from reputable dealers. ?

• Super Members

That goes for all cameras. We dont pay retail for used stuff. You won't find any retailers trying to push "refurbished". That would never fly. 70% of retail is standard no matter how new it is.

The Sony A7iii did it. And the GH5 drops even more (most people here look at Panasonic as the Kia of cameras).

18 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

(most people here look at Panasonic as the Kia of cameras).

Then that's a good thing, because according to thedrive.com, Kia has shed its humble image to become a high-end contender.

In 2016, KIA ranked 69 on Interbrand’s list of “100 Best Global Brands,”alongside corporate giants like Facebook, Amazon, Nissan, and BMW. The brand’s value today is estimated at more than $6 billion—more than 6.5 times higher than its value in 2007.

And autotrader.com reported a couple years back that a Consumer Reports reliability study placed Kia in fifth -- ahead of virtually all luxury brands and even ahead of car companies that consumers traditionally consider reliable, like Acura, Honda, Infiniti, Porsche and Subaru.

And Forbes reported just three months ago that two decades ago, Korean brands Hyundai and Kia were considered little more than compromise purchases for people who didn't have the cash or credit score to afford a car from Japan, Detroit or Europe. Today, according to vehicle quality tracker J.D. Power, Toyota and BMW and other stalwarts of quality and reputation are chasing Hyundai, Kia and Hyundai luxury brand Genesis for the fewest glitches and design flaws.

So good on Panasonic!

I think it's going to be hard getting a hold of a new EOS-R once initial stock runs out.. second hand units probably won't appear on market until 6-8 months (when new model is announced) and if they do they might actually carry a premium, like other popular cameras that were out of stock. It's all about supply & demand..

1 minute ago, jonpais said:

Maybe you misunderstood. Owners’ overall satisfaction with Kia is very high and according to JD Powers, because of their reliabilty, depreciation is ranked better than average. Happy driving.

They also offer the longest warranty in the whole industry. Koreans started as a low cost solution but now they make some of the most reliable cars in business.

In another note, from Mattias words I understand that Swedish market is unique and it doesn't match most things I know from other markets. He shouldn't try to impose his views as the norm though. Nowhere else in the world a camera will loose such a big percentage of its value in day one, and maybe nowhere in the world a shop will buy a camera you bought from them in the same value - actually those two contradict one another - first the shop loose 400-600€ fron day one, but after 6 months buys the same camera as high as was new 6 months ago? What are they? Charity?

I drove a Hyundai for five years before moving to Asia and it was the most reliable car I’d ever owned. 

And you are right, Kisaha - nowhere else in the world would a camera like the EOS R drop in price $700 after day one, especially considering that they will never be more in demand than at launch.

@Kisaha I agree.. I was shopping second hand stuff this summer in Stockholm's Södermalm (clothing, furniture, watches) and pricing was all over the place.. some real bargains for sure, but some over priced stuff as well. Some dealers confessed pricing changes depending on season (sometimes week to week) which kinda surprised me. Again supply/demand but it's a different market for sure then other capitals I've been to.

@jonpais Second hand A7IIIs (and i think D850s) actually sold above retail in places like the US where the launch was delayed from other parts of the world..

• Super Members
1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Maybe you misunderstood. Owners’ overall satisfaction with Kia is very high and according to JD Powers, because of their reliabilty, depreciation is ranked better than average. Happy driving.

No misunderstanding at all. Owners of Kia and Panasonic enjoy them while others look down on them. Keeping the user prices down. All good imo.

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

Nowhere else in the world a camera will loose such a big percentage of its value in day one, 

It would if you wanted to. Stop paying to much, done.

Btw, I'm not trying to impose anything. That's all in your head.

1 hour ago, Django said:

I think it's going to be hard getting a hold of a new EOS-R once initial stock runs out.. 

If it does. Again it depends on the market bur in the past Canon have been reliable. Cant remember a camera besides the D850 and Blackmagic running out.

1 hour ago, Django said:

second hand units probably won't appear on market until 6-8 months 

In greater numbers yes. But single used once will drizzle out from within the first month. Always has, always will. There's always someone in need of the money or that was disappointed.

And a top tip, dont only buy used from FS. WTB is where the bargains are.

@Mattias Burling I remember you bringing such paradigms quite often in the past, which do not apply in other markets, and I have lived in 4 different countries in my life. I do remember finding some great NX deals in local Swedish adds (I have very good friends living there), so some of them can be possible, but some of them are just unbelievable!

"Impose" is a rather strong word, I take that back, but I was writing in a hurry and I am not a native speaker. It's all good.