Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless talk hots up

Andrew Reid

51 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

Have you done a comparison of the prices with lenses bearing in mind most people will be buying used ef lenses and the 99 dollar adapter? . I did the calculations for myself, being the owner of ef glass, and to get a sony it would be more expensive by a couple thousand. So I'd say that's a pretty big incentive for people to continue with canon. But even if they are new to the game, do the calculations for yourself and see which is more expensive for you based on the lenses you use. 

That's definitely a valid point! That said I'd argue that you can also adapt EF glass to Sony cameras for a similar price, though admittedly I doubt the performance would be quite as seamless as it'll likely be for the EOS-R.

Moreover there are more and more options out there for the E-mount at a reasonable price, so long as you're content with not immediately aiming for the G Master line. The new Tamron 28-70mm f2.8, for example, is apparently a great and relatively cost effective option for a quality all-rounder zoom lens on that mount. And if you're cool with shooting in Super35 mode a bit more often at first, Sigma has a few E-mount primes for APS-C sensors that are pretty affordable too that I hear are great.

And by the same token, the most exciting part of the EOS-R right, I think, is probably the new EF-R line of lenses... which are similarly pricey to the Sony G Masters. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

There are smart adapters for E mount cameras that allow you to adapt

Sony A

Canon EF

Nikon F

there are even ones for Contax G (another announced this week I think) and other mounts too I think.

And of course you can use a smart adapter to use almost any lens (with size and weight limits) to auto focus manual focus lenses.

Sony will let you auto focus some of the Nikon lenses you can not currently with Nikon (inlcudng Nikon auto focus lenses).

Sure most don't work well (or at all) for video and for stills it is camera/adapter/lens dependent.

That Nikon mirrorless works so well with SOME Nikon AF lenses is great and it will sell very well.        I just wish Nikon (and Canon) would play nice with third party adapter makers going forward like Sony does so you can adapt any lens to their mirrorless.

I would love to be able to use my Canon lenses on Nikon ETC and if I could, that would bring Nikon into play a bit more for me but as it stands it is out for me.

Those with lots of Nikon recent AF lenses will do well but it would be expensive to switch to Nikon from Canon or Sony.       Sony is still (currently) the only one that will let you use EF and F mount lenses as well as E even if no or limited AF for video.

Depends on your needs and uses.

Some of my Canon lenses adapted work BETTER on Sony than on Canon DSLRs.     

It isn't so much a mount things as what features an individual camera has for me.

I can not afford anything new right now but I would not mind a camera that has IBIS, great low light and plays well with my Canon 17mm TS-E.       Having a good digital zoom is a plus.

That is only Sony for now.

If someone has lots of Canon lenses AND wants to stay with Canon, the R looks a nice start.

Mind you there is less reason to adapt with Sony FF mirrorless every day (that new FE 24 1.4 looks fantastic and has me jealous).

• Super Members

I would have gone all Sony if they had got their lenses together. I love the A7 line but without a complete set its not usable outside enthusiasts shooting for me. Now there are options so even if they did announce a bunch of new glass it might not be enough.

Since I haven't tried it I can't say for sure, and I won't order until I have tested it, but from what is known today the EOS-R gives me the most features, specs and bang/$. Plus what looks to be a really nice image.

Having to choose between Sony, Canon, Nikon and soon Panasonic as a  FF mirrorless B-Cam to a DSLR is definitely a luxury problem we didn't face just a few weeks ago.

Good times.

Indeed, choice is really good right now.

My preference in order is still (for now) Sony, Canon and then Nikon.     Where Panasonic slots in remains to be seen though I can not help but think it will more than likely be aimed at video pros and way beyond me and not as good for stills.

Having said that I just paid $10 (Australian) for an ancient Panasonic SD camcorder this morning.       Hope it works.

22 minutes ago, noone said:

My preference in order is still (for now) Sony, Canon and then Nikon.     Where Panasonic slots in remains to be seen though I can not help but think it will more than likely be aimed at video pros and way beyond me and not as good for stills.

Having said that I just paid $10 (Australian) for an ancient Panasonic SD camcorder this morning.       Hope it works.

Good thing it is not using P2 media. The damn cards are Still serious money, even used. Every once in awhile I get a hair up my ass and say, hell I Ought to buy a old Panasonic AG-HVX200 again, then I look at the media costs LoL.

no way .gif

4 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I would have gone all Sony if they had got their lenses together. I love the A7 line but without a complete set its not usable outside enthusiasts shooting for me. Now there are options so even if they did announce a bunch of new glass it might not be enough.

Since I haven't tried it I can't say for sure, and I won't order until I have tested it, but from what is known today the EOS-R gives me the most features, specs and bang/$. Plus what looks to be a really nice image.

Having to choose between Sony, Canon, Nikon and soon Panasonic as a  FF mirrorless B-Cam to a DSLR is definitely a luxury problem we didn't face just a few weeks ago.

Good times.

What would you call a complete set of lenses?  For video/cine? Or for photography? I normally agree with your comments but this one needs more context cause canon and nikon new mirrorless systems can not be called better at this point, so I really don’t know what are you trying to say.

• Super Members
3 hours ago, elgabogomez said:

What would you call a complete set of lenses?  For video/cine? Or for photography? I normally agree with your comments but this one needs more context cause canon and nikon new mirrorless systems can not be called better at this point, so I really don’t know what are you trying to say.

Just saying that Sony doesn't offer enough lenses for me to build a complete set. They have a lot of good once but are still lacking. EF doesn't suffer the same problem. There I can buy not only a set of the 5-6 lenses I need, but also for not even half the cost.

5 hours ago, noone said:

Camcorders still rule!

Yeah that Panasonic is still to unknown to rank imo. But the latest rumors are very interesting.

Ok, fair enough. That’s counting ef lenses as “native” for the R system, I suppose. But at this point they still need to be tested as equally good than on a mirror canon to be counted as such. It’s still too early to say they work best adapted to the R than the Sony A which has been able to adapt them for years. I don’t want to defend the system I have, but it can be argued that right now it’s a far more adaptable system for every set of lenses, from c mount to medium format which you have done in the past, and that includes everything from fd to ef to every nikon lens you could get on photo stores for very little money. When it comes to video-cine lens sets, the only “matched” set in stops, look, color that canon has is the cine line which can also be adapted to any mirrorless system and that is not auto focus nor inexpensive.

• Super Members

Of course, even the camera itself still need testing before I actually know how it is. But given the info that is out there today as well as how "native adapters" have worked in the past for Canon, Sony-A, etc there is a good chance the performance will be up to the task.

Adapting to Sony-E, M4/3 and Fuji from other systems is fine for video imo. And with some combinations for stills as well. But its not reliable enough across the board for me to want to take a chance on it for work. I have a photo session in about 15min and have both the X-H1 + EF adapter and my 6Dmkii with me. The adapter has been pretty good, excellent with some lenses. But there is no way Im using it unless I have to or when I already have what I need stored in the 6D. 

And the 6D has only 1 SD-slot. Still Im choosing it as a safer option over the 2-slot Fuji. Dont want to risk loosing the shots on the Fuji due to a faulty adapter. Pretty ironic :)

• Super Members

Well, its out soon and we can start to get some user reviews. Ive only watched Caleb and Fros previews. After that I've stopped looking. Including the one above, won't watch it. I don't want my opinion to be primed before testing it myself.

Tomorrow is Panasonics press conference after which I will know if I will order the EOS-R.