Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless talk hots up

Andrew Reid

16 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

Well, if like it says in the video they are using an adapter it means they will be using ef lenses, which can be had for cheap, especially on the second hand market. I don't think anyone would dispute that. 

I can put EF lenses on my Sony A7s. Same thing. Hey I am not knocking Canon, hell I think I just bought a C100. Will know in a few days. My son has a 5D mk III, Canon Rebel. They all get the job done.

When I bought my Sony A7 I never owned a Sony lens for it for 2 years. Couldn't afford it. When any new camera comes out with all new lenses it is a ball buster to afford to start from scratch. The Nikon Z6, Z7, this new Panasonic FF, all will be the same. Look at all theses people talking about the XT3, they are going to whipping out some cash too for a new system. Nobody ever said video was cheap. Especially if you want the latest toys.

The trouble is with the new toys you don't have any excuse if your footage sucks in this day and age!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
19 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I can put EF lenses on my Sony A7s. Same thing. Hey I am not knocking Canon, hell I think I just bought a C100. Will know in a few days. My son has a 5D mk III, Canon Rebel. They all get the job done.

When I bought my Sony A7 I never owned a Sony lens for it for 2 years. Couldn't afford it. When any new camera comes out with all new lenses it is a ball buster to afford to start from scratch. The Nikon Z6, Z7, this new Panasonic FF, all will be the same. Look at all theses people talking about the XT3, they are going to whipping out some cash too for a new system. Nobody ever said video was cheap. Especially if you want the latest toys.

The trouble is with the new toys you don't have any excuse if your footage sucks in this day and age!

Yes its true but if you put ef lenses on an a7riii you are really compromising the autofocus and do you want to do that when you are spending 3k on a new camera? Probably not. Even if you do go down that route, which they did in the video, they put the price for an adapter on the canon bringing it up to 2.5k (choosing the more expensive adapter), but fail to mention that you will be paying 400 for the metabones adapter for the sony to get ef lenses to work lol. It is just a dishonest review, but it doesn't matter because at the end of the day like you said people will realise just how expensive it is to change systems and will bulk at the price considering how little difference there really is between cameras.

For canon shooters like myself who own ef lenses getting a sony will literally cost me thousands more than the canon. There is just no rational reason for me to make the move at that price when the eos r gives me some great features that the sony cant match and where the sony is ahead it isn't worth thousands of dollars lol.

The c100 is a great camera, I miss mine ha ha.    

8 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

The autofocus isn't anywhere close to as good as their dslr's, hopefully they sort it out on their next one. Right now, it looks like they lost their AF advantage over Sony.

Canon must be treating people real well .. "I prefer one card slot" 

Camera "amazing" focus "amazing" new lenses "amazing" 

I'm sure it's a very nice camera but come on 

49 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

As expected though, lots of uproar, lots of laughter.... Yet the image speak volumes.

Reminds me a bit of the C300 launch V RED Scarlet.

I would be more than happy to shoot my next short on one if one was on offer. Image looks great. That being said if I'm laying down my own cash there is just too much on offer else where that is that little bit more tempting. 

My current thoughts are to get an xt3 along side/instead of my xh1. Or a blackmagic pocket 4k. 

Or just stick with the xh1 a while and see how it all plays out (new Panasonic, new a7iii etc) I'm in no rush but I do love a new camera ?

5 hours ago, Robin said:

Camera "amazing" focus "amazing" new lenses "amazing" 

I'm sure it's a very nice camera but come on 

"everything you see I shot at 1080 and upscaled to 4K"

Oh gee....  

Come on now, how can he be saying all of this with a straight face?

Did it takes tips from the Silicon Valey guys as to how to maximize how many ***** he can **** off at once?

• Super Members
3 hours ago, Jimmy said:

As expected though, lots of uproar, lots of laughter.... Yet the image speak volumes.

Reminds me a bit of the C300 launch V RED Scarlet.

Yup, c100, xc10, c200, 1dxii, Z6, BMCC, BMPCC, D750, NX1, etc. Same story every time. Then people actually use it and go "ohh, it seems that millions of dollars spent by engineers actually did produce more than the imagination of forum people.. who knew?".

Its like my old favorite, the "crushed blacks" comment on demo footage from any new camera. History repeats itself.

8 hours ago, Robin said:

Did he say that? Woow. 

On my side I prefer shorter battery life, it allows me to focus on the essential. I prefer the crop, it allows me to easily zoom and I can use my EFS lens when I want to go wide with the super nice 10-18mm. I prefer having Full HD 60p only, easier to edit than 4K60p! And lord knows how I prefer lower DR: it forces you to expose right. 
Thanks Canon for making my life easier. Thanks for the trip to Hawaii and free cameras too! :)

• Super Members

Are we still ignoring the upsides? I suggest the first person getting one starts a new thread. I'm not preordering but I'm now 100% sure I won't be getting the Z6. It's now between the EOS-R and Panasonic FF if it turns out ok. 

But.. if the rumor of the new GRiii I won't even care about other brands until spring :)

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

"everything you see I shot at 1080 and upscaled to 4K"

Oh gee....  

Come on now, how can he be saying all of this with a straight face?

He said directly before the quote you cherry picked that it was a con that Canon didn't have 4k/60p, hence why he had to shoot at 1080/60p and upscale.

There is plenty to bash, no need to make stuff up.