Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless talk hots up

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

I just got some banner ads for a trade in program for the EOS-R. Makes it a bit more attractive to me over the Z6 (which I'm otherwise leaning towards).

I still haven't watched through all the preview videos and such. Need to do that before making up any kind of mind. And of course see what Panasonic brings.

As of today the biggest selling point of the Canikons over Sony/Fuji is the same old thing. Lenses. I not only want but need at least 200mm with lighting fast AF in dim lighting (for stills) without breaking the bank. From what I've seen the adapters for Sony/Fuji still doesn't cut it.

If Tamron released their excellent 70-200 f2.8 G2 for Sony the A7iii would immediately be a contender.

Canon was reaching out to people in may about using this camera. "I was in late may 2018 contacted by Canon EMEA (Europe) and ask to test the new mirrorless fullframe camera system - The EOS R." 

Some have been saying they just hurry and threw it together and it wasn't ready (continuous eye af/continuous silent shooting in upcoming firmware). I don't really buy that tbh.  

16 minutes ago, Timotheus said:

Not much sycophancy here...so perhaps you CAN be on speaking terms with companies, yet be critical nonetheless, mmm?
Jared Polin also was extensive in the video above.

No canon dslr can write video on two cards simultaneously..... so even with the 1Dx II he would have had the same issue

Lexar is a horribly unreliable SD card company imo. Every time i've had card fails, it's been Lexar. Tony should know better as a pro wedding shooter.

That being said, yeah shout out to him for being not only critical but for also stating he & his wife purchased the EOS R's when we know Canon we're handing them out for free.

Way to go.

Are vloggers really a market that any camera company seriously targets their cameras at? How many vloggers are there? Hundreds? Thousands? I doubt it. People who use these hybrid cameras primarily for video amount to no more than 5% of the total market so vloggers must be a tiny fraction of that 5%.

18 minutes ago, nigelbb said:

Are vloggers really a market that any camera company seriously targets their cameras at? How many vloggers are there? Hundreds? Thousands? I doubt it. People who use these hybrid cameras primarily for video amount to no more than 5% of the total market so vloggers must be a tiny fraction of that 5%.

it's a big market.. as they are walking advertisements for the product! hell even BMD caters to them:

travel-xl@2x.jpg?_v=1522209597

.. with a non AF continuous, non self-facing screen, non stabilized cine cam ! ?

20 minutes ago, nigelbb said:

Well apparently they are an incredibly important demographic or the camera companies wouldnt be arranging glamorous jamborees for them every camera launch. And I am sure that every new camera 3 years from now will have a 'fully adjustable LCD' because the youtube community needs it to do their selfie videos of themselves. Any camera without will be deemed useless. 

Another micro-demographic that the camera manufacturers pay far too much attention to are 'pros'. I love the way that say Tony Northrup says he cant recommend this camera to 'wedding professionals' because it doesnt have 2 card slots. If you happen to be a 'wedding professional' and need Tony Northrup to recommend your camera well I pity for you. And then there are the 'pros' who apparently cant 'afford' to spend 10 seconds a day switching out a battery....

7 hours ago, nigelbb said:

I bet there would be no less than tens of thousands of vloggers. 
Probably hundreds of thousands of vloggers. Potentially millions (especially if you count all the micro vlogging social media sites). 
Or course what proportion of them are keeping it up on a regular basis and would commit to buying an EOS R? Of course only a teeny percentage of those. 

7 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

If you happen to be a 'wedding professional' and need Tony Northrup to recommend your camera well I pity for you.

Sadly these "pros" who are complete technical air heads are far more common than you think.

8 hours ago, JurijTurnsek said:

Is this true? Sounds like a big fail ... I would think Andrew would have a field day with this one?

Not sure about the 5d IV but the 1Dx II, wich I own, will record movie on the card that is set for playback.  No paralell writing of movie. If you don’t trust me search the manual.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

New comparison video.

It's funny how they say the a7riii is in any way comparable on price to the eos r. Firstly, he says the adapter is $200. Yes, but you can get the basic one for $99. If you are using ef lenses on both cameras, the autofocusing performance with the sony isn't good enough for the amount of money you are spending on the a7riii. You'll then have to spend ridiculous sony lens prices on top of the camera price.  

16 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

It's funny how they say the a7riii is in any way comparable on price to the eos r. Firstly, he says the adapter is $200. Yes, but you can get the basic one for $99. If you are using ef lenses on both cameras, the autofocusing performance with the sony isn't good enough for the amount of money you are spending on the a7riii. You'll then have to spend ridiculous sony lens prices on top of the camera price.  

Which one of these Cheap Canon lenses you going to buy? Cheapest one is 500 bucks. No used ones either. But I don't see Any company giving away lenses as of late.

Canon EOS R (Body) -
Canon EOS R with RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM -
Canon BG-E22 Battery Grip for EOS R
Canon RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens
Canon RF 28-70mm f/2L USM Lens
Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro Lens -
Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L USM Lens -
Canon EF-EOS R Mount Adapter
Canon Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R
Canon Drop-in Filter Mount Adapter EF-EOS R 

6 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Which one of these Cheap Canon lenses you going to buy? Cheapest one is 500 bucks. No used ones either. But I don't see Any company giving away lenses as of late.

Canon EOS R (Body) -
Canon EOS R with RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM -
Canon BG-E22 Battery Grip for EOS R
Canon RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens
Canon RF 28-70mm f/2L USM Lens
Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro Lens -
Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L USM Lens -
Canon EF-EOS R Mount Adapter
Canon Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R
Canon Drop-in Filter Mount Adapter EF-EOS R 

Well, if like it says in the video they are using an adapter it means they will be using ef lenses, which can be had for cheap, especially on the second hand market. I don't think anyone would dispute that.