Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless talk hots up

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Looks good to me. Can't bring myself to pull the trigger until Panasonic shows their hand. They just might surprise us all. 

Yeah, and Sony is supposed to release some interesting things this month too. I know Canon will nail their pro version, so switching to sony/nikon etc., then back will get expensive. I'm just a poor college student! haha

4 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

Yeah, and Sony is supposed to release some interesting things this month too. I know Canon will nail their pro version, so switching to sony/nikon etc., then back will get expensive. I'm just a poor college student! haha

Aha... And so the great Canon cycle of 'hope over experience' begins again....

2 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

Sony can't compete with these skintones and colors short of introducing venice into the picture profiles. The images are very pleasing and, dare I say, 'thick'. Shame the director couldn't get the shots he wanted because of that crop... 

I think I'll stick to what looks good and what is useable rather than a specs sheet.

Gordon did a pretty good review. The 1080p looked good, obviously the 4k is the joke. I couldn't decipher the nerd talk while researching, but how big of a difference is 8 bit 4:2:2 vs 4:2:0? I heard it wasn't noticeable. What about 10 bit 4:2:2 vs 10 bit 4:2:0 like in the new fuji?

I like the image i'm seeing from this camera.  I'm picking up the Pocket 4k for any film related task and adding this to my Canon camera line (C100MK2, XC10, & 5DMK3) up for event relate task.  In mixed lighting the HD is a good match for my C100.  Much better than the 5DMK3 sans magic lantern raw.  For event work the auto focus for me is just critical.  Running and gunning trying to keep subjects in focus using the follow focusing method with your hand sucks.  I'm sick and tired of that for events but for film I can still tolerate.  I'll probably retire the 5DMK3 to photo only task. 

After much, much anger. I think I am going to probably end up keeping my 1DX ii for paid work and use that new one for photos and travel stuff. The footage just looks too good and I love the AF system, plus it does photos extremely well too. Handcuffs back on. 

3 hours ago, Yurolov said:

Was this shot in France?  Must have shot from Belgium for those wide shots.

2 hours ago, Snowbro said:

Gordon did a pretty good review. The 1080p looked good, obviously the 4k is the joke. I couldn't decipher the nerd talk while researching, but how big of a difference is 8 bit 4:2:2 vs 4:2:0? I heard it wasn't noticeable. What about 10 bit 4:2:2 vs 10 bit 4:2:0 like in the new fuji?

Stopped watching at 0:07 when he said "shoots 8 frames per second" - yeah, not if your subject is actually moving.  AF locked at that speed.

Day 2 other things that are super annoying - the top left button is *ONLY* the freaking on/off switch.  That's it folks!

You can't (yet) shoot anything other than SINGLE SHOT mode for silent shooting

You can't (yet) shoot using EYE AF using tracking - it's single shot only

FPS drops to THREE when tracking is enabled.

Goodnight people.  This feels rushed to be honest.

29 minutes ago, Shield3 said:

Was this shot in France?  Must have shot from Belgium for those wide shots.

Stopped watching at 0:07 when he said "shoots 8 frames per second" - yeah, not if your subject is actually moving.  AF locked at that speed.

Day 2 other things that are super annoying - the top left button is *ONLY* the freaking on/off switch.  That's it folks!

You can't (yet) shoot anything other than SINGLE SHOT mode for silent shooting

You can't (yet) shoot using EYE AF using tracking - it's single shot only

FPS drops to THREE when tracking is enabled.

Goodnight people.  This feels rushed to be honest.

He does say what it shoots at with ai servo and canon has said that they will release firmware this year, that enables continuous burst with eye af. I don't really care about eye af personally. 

4 hours ago, Snowbro said:

You sound like one of my friend who kept saying he is poor from time to time again but can buy stuff before I even blink my eye

3 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

If you can afford 1DXII you are really far away from poor

EOS-R should be just pocket money to your parent lol

Always funny when people assume. I work full time (business consulting, internships) and go to school in CS, my parents have given me exactly $0.00 since I was 18 and I am 28 now. 

4 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

Always funny when people assume. I work full time (business consulting, internships) and go to school in CS, my parents have given me exactly $0.00 since I was 18 and I am 28 now. 

If you are 28 you should be well graduate from college?  Or is college a tertially school in USA? ( I m not from us so not familiar with it)

in here college is high school so only ppl under 18/19 would study college.

1 minute ago, ntblowz said:

If you are 28 you should be well graduate from college?  Or is college a tertially school in USA? ( I m not from us so not familiar with it)

in here college is high school so only ppl under 18 would study college.

I started and sold a web development company, specializing in SEO since I was 18. I didn't start until I was 23. I think this is getting a little off subject of the thread. I appreciate the assumptions though lol. 

8 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

I started and sold a web development company, specializing in SEO since I was 18. I didn't start until I was 23. I think this is getting a little off subject of the thread. I appreciate the assumptions though lol. 

It’s good to see people who are determined what they want when they are young, I’ve seen too many people waste their youth doing stupid things (me included lol)

Anyway i m passing EOS-R like my previous reply, gonna rock with m50 to the c100mkiis until canon have something better.  The rolling shutter on m50’s crop 4k is bad for any action scene, but for more stationary object it can match c100mkii’s 1080p well.

I might get one as a backup/ b cam. Would also be nice to take that for photos, instead of my 1dx on 20 mile backcountry mountain bike rides. I just don't know if I can bring myself to buy any of the new expensive RF glass if I can't adapt it to my dslr. They also need an RF-RF nd adapter. They are coming out with a new 24-70 2.8 IS, it should be 1.5lbs if it follows the same path the 24-105 did going to RF. 5 stops of lens IS is nice, it just is a shame that their 28-70 f2 and 50 f1.2 dont have IS. I actually doubt canon will have decent ibis until 2020; has anyone seen any patents for canon ibis??

Just now, IronFilm said:

But S35 is the industry standard. 
PL mount is the industry standard. 
Of course PL S35 is common! 

Oh, lol. Sorry I wasn’t clear in my original post. I was talking about older cheap PL lenses., maybe some kind of Russian cinema lens. Or older Arri primes.