Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless talk hots up

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It is 2300 bucks for basically a APSC camera in video. Actually it's even worse. And every lens I have will be something I will need a calculator to figure out what Focal length it Really is now.  And it willing be shocking to see the readout on the calculator, and to boot they are expensive FF lenses, that are big as hell, just wasted, hanging off of it. And I am suppose to be paying for a full frame camera and not getting one for video.  That is the reason I am Not getting one. ?

25 minutes ago, noone said:

I thought the crop was 4k only and that would have been ok.

Not great at 1.7x for video at all.

Trying to think of what lenses you could use to get something like 15mm FF and I don't think there are that many.

Yeah it is only in 4K. I don't think there is a crop in 1080p is there? But you are paying the big money for 4K.  And FF to boot. You might as well just stick with a Canon 80D and be done. And at least Nikon has a Known upgrade path out right now with the Z7. It might be 2 years, or never with the Canon. Hell they don't even have a lens map yet long term years out. That sounds kind of scary to me.

Probably are some MF aftermarket Cine Lenses out that could do 15mm with the crop? Damn if it even had a 1.3 crop like the 1DX, 1DC it would be bearable. And no IBIS. Those 2 things and it would be pretty damn good. But Nooo, we can't do that. Nikon seems to be able to on the Z6, and even cheaper. But what the hell we are Canon, The Market Leader. ?

On 9/5/2018 at 9:07 PM, mercer said:

Also, since it is mirrorless with a flange distance that matches M4/3, are there any cool PL cinema glass made for S35mm? Or any vintage Cine glass for S35mm?

90%+ of modern cinema PL lenses are designed for S35

Some vintage PL lenses are for S16 and such, but once you ignore those, then again the vast majority are also for S35 again. 

I have a feeling you didn't mean to write "S35"

12 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

It is 2300 bucks for basically a APSC camera in video. Actually it's even worse.

Might as well spend less and get the better Fujifilm APS-C instead for filming with!

18 hours ago, Snowbro said:

The 720p 120p actually looks about as good as the sony 1080p 120p. I haven't seen any a7iii 120p that looked clear and smooth. I wonder if that is moire on the building in the background though (building). Does anyone know if the 5d iv had bad rolling shutter in 1080p? I have tested the 1dx ii and it has virtually none in 1080p. 

Oh WOW! That was shot literally just down the road from me.

Literally, I'm on the corner with the road that the park you see is on. 

• Super Members
13 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

And every lens I have will be something I will need a calculator to figure out what Focal length it Really is now.  

I've made you a handy cut out and keep guide of the lenses you'll need for the equivalent of, for example, a Zeiss Compact Prime set **.

1149780204_ScreenShot2018-09-06at18_23_26.png.90863a3da5bbc9a9dda5118f9e36e7d8.png

If you are looking for a 15.55555555561mm prime then I can definitely recommend Tamron's new 15.5555555556mm f2.8.

It has far more mojo than Sigma's 15.55555555561mm f1.8 in my opinion.

;)

** Yes, yes, I know the CP.2s would be used on Super35 so there is an additional multiplier to be factored in but it was only a joke anyway.

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

90%+ of modern cinema PL lenses are designed for S35

Some vintage PL lenses are for S16 and such, but once you ignore those, then again the vast majority are also for S35 again. 

I have a feeling you didn't mean to write "S35

Thanks, I figured as much. I did mean S35. 

2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I knew the starting lens lineup was sweet but I haven't paid much attention until now. 

A 35mm f1.8 with IS.. and STM... and Macro... I could honestly consider a EOS-R for that lens alone. Nicely priced as well.

Agreed. Furthermore Canon is claiming similar characteristics to my all time favorite 35mm F1.4 L:

The new RF35mm F1.8 MACRO IS STM has remarkably similar MTF characteristics to those of the excellent EF35mm f/1.4L lens. But it is a more compact and lightweight lens and has a macro shooting capability at f/1.8 brightness that cannot be matched by any EF lens. The control algorithm of the new optical IS augments the Dual Sensing IS of the EOS R lens-camera system, providing high image stability in macro photography using up to 5 stops shutter speed. 

Further in-depth details here: EOS R SYSTEM WHITE PAPER

I like Canon cameras, and I liked the R ether, don't care about the crop, it has DPAF which I was waiting for, but I think is too expensive for now, we need to wait for the price to go down a little, anyway, any signs there is Speed Booster on the near future?, if a Speed Booster can be added this is certainly the camera to get, just a little cheaper......

I'd never buy this camera but for certain small jobs where I'm shooting myself and don't have a camera team I may consider renting it for its auto focus capabilities, should be cheap enough to rent hopefully. I'm wondering if the DPAF will be as effective with continuous video autofocus when using adapted EF or EF-S lenses as it will be with native RF lenses - will be interesting to test this out. 

@hijodeibn it could be a while before we see a speedbooster, judging by how long it's taking Metabones and Viltrox to release one for EF-M mount, which both companies have been planning to make for a really long time. It just takes time to design and manufacture stuff. Hopefully the EOS R will generate more interest and they'll be quicker! Although again, I'm wondering how effective video autofocus will be with an adapter.

3 hours ago, Snowbro said:

I just realized all the new rf lenses will be focus by wire. I saw that after watching videos of pros trying to manual focus and it was jumpy, even when they went slow/smooth. Hopefully canon can smooth it out with updates at some point 

All of the RF L lenses are USM lenses, so they’re not technically focus by wire, it’s a combination of mechanical and focus by wire. The 35mm 1.8 is STM so that is completely focus by wire.