Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless talk hots up

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

Hard to really tell on YouTube. I feel like it lacks the character of the P4K's image, looks a lot more video-ish, but the P4K I doubt is capable of working in those conditions like that. 

Price confirmed. 

I actually haven’t been that impressed with the ProRea videos from the P4K. The Raw looks great though. Either way, the Canon looks good, really good especially for a Canon release video. I like the AF and Canon Log and 10bit color. 

1 minute ago, JurijTurnsek said:

The EOS R full-frame mirrorless camera will be available in October, 2018 for $2,299, or $3,399 with the RF 24-105 F4 L IS lens. The EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM will cost $500 and arrive in September, the RF 50mm f/1.2 L will cost $2,299 when it arrives in October 2018, the RF 28-70mm f/2 lens will cost $2,999 and come to stores by December 2018. The RF24-105 F/4 L IS USM lens will cost $1,099 and hit stores in December, 2018.

And 35mm f/1.8 IS Macro is $499. 

5 minutes ago, mercer said:

Yeah according to Engadget there is the 1.7x crop... ugh... so close Canon. Without IBIS and with the crop... $2200 is too rich for my blood. Oh well. Maybe in a year or two. 

I know.. even if they just had either: no crop, ibis or 120p FHD this camera would rip

3 minutes ago, MdB said:

That’s a grand cheaper than the 5D IV, plus ships with Log, has a better codec and does 10bit out. It’s actually not horrendous. 

Yeah it isn’t bad but I only have a limited amount of money to spend this year and it will probably be better spent on lenses and audio gear. But I can see myself picking one of these up next summer. 

1 minute ago, Snowbro said:

I know.. even if they just had either: no crop, ibis or 120p FHD this camera would rip

I don’t care about 120p. I shoot narratives so there’s rarely a need for 120p. But if it had IBIS or no crop, I’d own one by Halloween. Of course if the video looks this good, I may get one... hmm... 

1 minute ago, Mattias Burling said:

A tip, Got an email a couple of hours ago from Syrp. They have used the camera for a week or so. Published a video centric review as well as shared video clips and photos for download.

Imo a better source than tweets from a press event. 

so no crop?

• Super Members
4 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

so no crop?

I have no idea (don't even care about that to be honest).

4 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

Link? 

I got it through am email. But I guess its on their website somewhere.

2 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

Seems like a total flop on the video side.. Photography side looks decent however. 

Can't wait for the A7siii now

Yeah I almost never see people mention AF in video ;)

4 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Personally I would have a difficult time choosing between this and the Nikon. Luckily I'm not in the market for a mirrorless FF as of now. Hopefully both systems will be easier to grasp once actual user reviews are out.

Agreed. In many respects they seem pretty equal based on specs and the info we have. Neither are enough for me to buy at this point, especially with Panasonic announcing a full frame camera and the pending A7Siii. 

1 minute ago, Yurolov said:

He says in the video the IS is better because the lens works with the body - combination IS. What does this mean technically speaking?

I'm pretty sure he's talking about electronic stabilization. It is mentioned in the disclaimer that it crops in even further with stabilization. My main issue with electronic stabilization is that it doesn't counteract motionblur.

There is Electronic IS, so combination IS is probably lens IS + digital IS.

4k crop is a bummer. RS is even worst. Best hope is for much improved (M50 like) FF 1080p.

I'll probably be getting one though: Eye AF, DPAF, Focus guides, Clog & 10-bit out, Vari ND.. pretty good for a $2K Canon