Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless talk hots up

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

I wonder if future cinema/video cameras will be released on the new mount or if they will continue using the EF mount. The f2 lens and the filter-adapter both seem very neat, but the camera is missing too many check-boxes to be of interest for me.

That's an interesting question. My gut says probably not until they have more lenses, even with the adapters. 

Full specs:

Movie TypeRecording Formate: MP4< /br>Video:MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, variable (average) bit rate< /br>Audio:For editing (ALL-I): linear PCM< /br>Standard (IPB), Light (IPB): AAC 

Movie Size4K (3840x2160), Full HD (1920x1080), HD (1280x720)< /br>High Frame Rate movies: HD< /br>HDR Movies:< /br>With RF/EF lenses: Full HD< /br>With EF-S lenses and movie cropping: HD< /br>Time-lapse movies: 4K/Full HD 

Frame Rate 119.9p/59.94p/29.97p/24.00p/23.98p (with NTSC)< /br>100.0p/50.00p/25.00p/24.00p (with PAL)< /br>* 119.9p/100.0p used for High Frame Rate movies 

Compression Method For editing (ALL-I), Standard (IPB), Light (IPB) 

Bit rate/Card performance requirements (writing/reading speed)4K (29.97p/25.00p/24.00p/23.98p)/For editing (ALL-I)< /br>Approx. 480 Mbps/UHS-II, Video Speed Class 60 or higher< /br>4K (29.97p/25.00p/24.00p/23.98p)/Standard (IPB)< /br>Approx. 120 Mbps/UHS-I, UHS Speed Class 3 or higher /br>Full HD (59.94p/50.00p)/For 

Sound Recording Built-in stereo mics, external stereo mic jack provided< /br>Sound-recording level adjustable, wind filter provided, attenuator provided 

Headphone Headphone terminal provided, volume adjustable 

Cropped Movies Available 

Movie Digital IS Available (Enable/Enhanced) 

HDR Movies Available 

Time-Lapse Movies 4K or Full HD 

Time Code Can be appended 

Canon Log Available for card recording (when set to 8-bit) and HDMI output (when set to 8-bit/10-bit) 

Remote Control Shooting Available 

Still Photo Shooting Not available during movie recording 

HDMI Output Image output without information display available< /br>* 4K output supported; Auto/1080p selectable

----------

Eye AF also supported

----------

Price info:

Body = 237,000 yen [$2127 / €1840]

28-70 2 = 420000 Y = $3769
24-105 4 IS = 155000 Y = $1390
50 1.2 = 325000 Y = $2916
35 1.8 IS Macro = 75000 Y = $673

1 minute ago, mercer said:

So which is it? Caleb Pike or Jordan Drake? 

That slip and slide video looks great. At first view, I think it looks better than the ProRes out of the P4K. 

I'm guessing Jordan is correct, as Caleb seemed to be basing his info on what he was told while Jordan seems to be tweeting info as he is using the camera. Caleb went live and said that almost immediately after the presser ended, so I don't think he even had the camera for very long. 

3 minutes ago, mercer said:

That slip and slide video looks great. At first view, I think it looks better than the ProRes out of the P4K. 

It's certainly game-over for the P4k and BMD . I heard that top Hollywood DP's are demanding the EOS -R now in place of Arri's simply because of that clip and the 'informed' comments on this and other forums so game over Arri as well (and Hollywood)

I still cannot believe they didn't release a ff mirrorless with 120p fhd, no-low crop 4k. The ibis would be nice, but not necessary. Pretty funny that only their 2 year old sports camera can do 120p in what will be 2019... I wish they had released their high end model first, like they usually do. They mentioned at the start of the stream that more r bodies are coming, but I bet it will be 6+ months before we hear about the pro versions.  

1 minute ago, Shirozina said:

It's certainly game-over for the P4k and BMD . I heard that top Hollywood DP's are demanding the EOS -R now in place of Arri's simply because of that clip and the 'informed' comments on this and other forums so game over Arri as well (and Hollywood)

Yeah because that’s what I wrote... 

They have to be nuts asking literally double for the new 50mm 1.2. The first one dropped for $1,599. It is also a full pound heavier; they should have just updated it like everyone wanted and sold it for 2k or less. Who is actually going to buy that for 3k?? 

Does anyone know the dynamic range for stills/video? I would be shocked if it was higher than the 5d iv

11 minutes ago, mercer said:

Hard to really tell on YouTube. I feel like it lacks the character of the P4K's image, looks a lot more video-ish, but the P4K I doubt is capable of working in those conditions like that. 

Price confirmed. 

5 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

They have to be nuts asking literally double for the new 50mm 1.2. The first one dropped for $1,599. It is also a full pound heavier; they should have just updated it like everyone wanted and sold it for 2k or less. Who is actually going to buy that for 3k?? 

Does anyone know the dynamic range for stills/video? I would be shocked if it was higher than the 5d iv

The 50mm is $2299. 

What’s actually wrong with the 5D IV’s DR? 

The EOS R full-frame mirrorless camera will be available in October, 2018 for $2,299, or $3,399 with the RF 24-105 F4 L IS lens. The EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM will cost $500 and arrive in September, the RF 50mm f/1.2 L will cost $2,299 when it arrives in October 2018, the RF 28-70mm f/2 lens will cost $2,999 and come to stores by December 2018. The RF24-105 F/4 L IS USM lens will cost $1,099 and hit stores in December, 2018.

1 minute ago, mercer said:

Yeah according to Engadget there is the 1.7x crop... ugh... so close Canon. Without IBIS and with the crop... $2200 is too rich for my blood. Oh well. Maybe in a year or two. 

That’s a grand cheaper than the 5D IV, plus ships with Log, has a better codec and does 10bit out. It’s actually not horrendous.