Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless talk hots up

Andrew Reid

LOOOOOL. I don’t know why I got some hope for 5 min.

no IBIS, 1 UHS1 SD, 1.4kg for the 28-70mm, 480mbps means probably mjpeg. Wow canon well done again! 

After Nikon copying A7III but with no lens, and canon doing the usual joke, let’s see if Panasonic can do a proper job. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

IMO, this camera was brought out as a "stop-the-bleeding" camera to keep Canon's remaining base from jumping ship. I do not see this camera providing anything exciting video-wise. Not that it won't be a bad camera, but more of a "me-to" camera. Maybe I'll be wrong, but if Canon's philosophy hasn't changed, they will reserve the top-of-the-line features for a more advanced "A9" mirrorless model that costs $4-5k.

I'd put my money on Panasonic for a much more interesting FF camera.

59 minutes ago, Django said:

Quite a few specs missing? That PDF is longer than the 5D4 spec sheet.. and at 3 days from the announcement, I'm pretty confident those are final specs. 

The only mystery is of course 4K crop or no crop. Canon never publish that kind of info.

Well yeah, I mean there is no spec for the EVF (magnification but not res, refresh etc). There is major parts of the video spec missing. Where would BT.2020 live on this spec sheet? Not saying it has C-Log (likely doesn’t). 

That 5D IV spec sheet is obviously updated since release of the camera. 

36 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

LOOOOOL. I don’t know why I got some hope for 5 min.

no IBIS, 1 UHS1 SD, 1.4kg for the 28-70mm, 480mbps means probably mjpeg. Wow canon well done again! 

After Nikon copying A7III but with no lens, and canon doing the usual joke, let’s see if Panasonic can do a proper job. 

Not MJPEG. Does have an IPB 120Mbps mode also. 1.4kg 28-70... well stop being a pansie ;) 

The 28-70 is only marginally bigger / heavier than my 85Art. That strapped to my 5D is seemingly roughly around the same size and weight. Sounds perfect to me.

but yes, I knew 12mths ago this was going to be a mirrorless 5D IV-ish. But really sits between 6D II and 5D IV. 

As someone who quite likes their 5D IV I think it looks ok-ish. But really they’re launching a new SYSTEM and to me that part is exciting. Those lenses are just so much more interesting than any other mirrorless system IMO and there are only 4 of them. 

They can always make a better camera higher in the range. 

5 minutes ago, OliKMIA said:

Meanwhile at Sony

zdqlndjj.jpg

Yep pretty much. I still find it funny that a bunch of fanboys assumed Canon and Nikon would just land a totally better system than they’ve been honing over years ‘just coz’. Nikon got closer with the body because they used the photoshop clone tool. Canon have a couple interesting lenses because that’s what they do. 

Actually Sony had a patent for a 28-70mm f/2 they were supposedly about to release, wonder what (if anything) ever happened to it? 

I don’t think there’s a crop. They specifically mention EF-S Crop Shooting in the specs which they wouldn’t need to crop to if there was a 1.74x crop. I know that’s because they’re talking about FHD, but if they’re going to go to the trouble of mentioning a specific crop in these “final” specs, then why wouldn’t they mention a 4K crop as well.

I think you'd be suprised how many Canon and Nikon fanboys are glad with these new cameras that aren't that radically different so they can ease into it. They've always been 'no matter what'-sheeple (I can't believe people kept buying them throughout the years, they kept doing the basics right, but failed to innovate in any significant way just giving it their minimum effort). That's the only thing they've ever known. So I think Sony still needs to worry regarding the whole Game of Thrones. It's gonna get messy. Now it's all damage control with the announcements. But they might feel cornered and start swinging. Better get my popcorn out and keep shooting with Panasonic and Blackmagic cameras.

The tamron 28-75mm 2.8 at 1/3rd the weight of the Canon f2 is a much better option, and will probably be a 1/3 of the price too. Using the 5D4 sensor is a joke.

definitely a disappointment. Again I think the only people who don’t disappoint at each release are Sony and Panasonic. 

15 minutes ago, mercer said:

I don’t think there’s a crop. They specifically mention EF-S Crop Shooting in the specs which they wouldn’t need to crop to if there was a 1.74x crop. I know that’s because they’re talking about FHD, but if they’re going to go to the trouble of mentioning a specific crop in these “final” specs, then why wouldn’t they mention a 4K crop as well.

I thought about that too and it's the only thing giving me faint hope for non crop 4K. However Canon don't communicate on 4K crop  (no mention of it anywhere in the 5D4 or the M50 spec sheets) so I wouldn't take that at all as a sign that there isn't a 4K crop.

7 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) 4K at 24/25/30p, that is as high as it goes according to the PDF thingy.

I didn't read the PDF, just looked at what was posted on the previous page, my mistake.

Here's what the turn signal control bar to the right of the EVF does, perhaps silent controls when shooting video?

Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 8.53.36 AM.png

12 minutes ago, mercer said:

Sony is still using the 100mbps 4K. You guys are too much. This camera will have AF that is unmatched by at least a generation.

You really have to have over 3x the mbps in ALL-I mode. The Canon is 120mbps in IPB mode, same mode the Sony uses. So yeah the overall data rate on the Sony is lower, but not as much as you would think.

120Mbit IPB codec / 4K 480Mbit ALL-I codec

3 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

I'll just leave this right here... almost 4000 votes. Looks like they where pretty spot on..

[..]

And those fanatic people would be right, so who cares about how they're being viewed. Specs and value wise Sony do leap the traditional approach from the likes of Canon and Nikon (mind you I don't own a Sony and probably won't be getting one in the foreseeable future). Even Fujifilm is getting ahead in the game. Panasonic fans can still make some great cases for the specs and handling of their cameras... but know FF is a different audience or perhaps people respect the points they make about the MFT system being awesome. ?

Well first we have to assume that the specs are official Canon specs. They did originate from a google drive account. But assuming these are the actual specs, the biggest bummer for me is no IBIS. If the rumored $1900 price tag is correct, then I would probably be a buyer without question. Without it, I’m a wait and see. The other exciting rumor is 10bit HDMI out. So for me, the biggest questions that are still up in the air is Canon Log, 4K Crop, Price, and HDMI Out. And obviously Rolling Shutter. So it’s a wait and see, IMO. 

12 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

I'll just leave this right here... almost 4000 votes. Looks like they where pretty spot on..

LRM_EXPORT_20180902_175237.jpg

To be fair, anyone who mentions anything remotely favourable about a Sony is hung, drawn and quartered as a Sony zealot / fanboy regardless of how much they actually care (or don’t) about Sony. As the technological leader (and the one that plays in the most spaces in the recent past) they tend to get mentioned a lot. 

3 minutes ago, mercer said:

Well first we have to assume that the specs are official Canon specs. They did originate from a google drive account. But assuming these are the actual specs, the biggest bummer for me is no IBIS. If the rumored $1900 price tag is correct, then I would probably be a buyer without question. Without it, I’m a wait and see. The other exciting rumor is 10bit HDMI out. So for me, the biggest questions that are still up in the air is Canon Log, 4K Crop, Price, and HDMI Out. And obviously Rolling Shutter. So it’s a wait and see, IMO. 

$1900 was part of a totally bunk rumour that also said it was 28MP... 

i wouldn’t be clinging to that. They also said no RF lenses at one point. 

17 minutes ago, Django said:

I thought about that too and it's the only thing giving me faint hope for non crop 4K. However Canon don't communicate on 4K crop  (no mention of it anywhere in the 5D4 or the M50 spec sheets) so I wouldn't take that at all as a sign that there isn't a 4K crop.

This is true and if I was a betting man I would say there probably is a crop. But even with a crop, the video will look great and there will be plenty of videographers making a fortune using it.