Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless talk hots up

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The codec looks great you are right. Image should be mint. Not so bugged about 120 at 1080p. It might have clog as a paid upgrade? Or maybe not on spec list? I will reserve my judgmrnt until confirmed. However we do know we have a great codec, dpaf and drop in nds ? at 4k (need confirmation if cropped). Ibis not critical with good lens IS. Camera will be small enough to put on a gimbal. 

1 hour ago, Eric Calabros said:

I don't know why Japanese hate h.265. 500mb makes too heavy files for internal recording. Whats wrong with h.265 Main 10? With that we could have 10bit with only 160mb. License fees?

Canon have only just got the processing grunt for H.264 4K finally...

2 hours ago, ajay said:

No CLOG from what I saw on the spec sheet. Has the same picture styles as their other basic cameras, but does not list CLOG. Also the sensor has a low-pass filter.

I'm becoming less excited about this camera as specs get released.

C-Log on DSLRs are not in the picture styles. 

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Inazuma said:

No mention of 4k crop in the specs. Could it be? ?

If it can't even do 120p pixel binned at better than 720p, I wouldn't expect the sensor to do a near-7K readout for that.

It's not fast enough.

Fear the crop. Gonna be worse than 5D IV. More like 1.9x now, as it's not even 4096 x 2160.

1 hour ago, Django said:

1.9x dear lord that's an epic fail if the case ?

True however C-log is clearly listed in the same style Canon 5D4 PDF specs sheet under video shooting. 

Well I think Andrew is making up that figure. Difference to the 5D IV would be minimal. 

Does it? That’s odd considering the 5D IV doesn’t ship with C-Log (well does, sorta). 

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yeah there won't be any C-LOG or 10bit, or it would be in the specs sheet.

Full sensor in 16:9 is 6720 x 3776

Crop 3840 x 2160 from that and you have almost 1.9x crop.

Uhm no, it’s 1.75. 

51 minutes ago, nathlas said:

What for ? 

The most strange is the release of  a PL to RF adapter. For this camera ? I doubt so. Perhaps another camera is preparing to hit higher specs.

There’s no PL mount adapter. Just a confusing name. There are three adapters and they’re all EF. 

Theory: All-I 4K ‘is’ 10bit. Makes no sense to go to all that effort to do new codecs but end up in exactly the same place. 

10 minutes ago, MdB said:

Interesting. I think there are still quite a few specifics missing from this documentation. Plus looks like these things are subject to change. 

Quite a few specs missing? That PDF is longer than the 5D4 spec sheet.. and at 3 days from the announcement, I'm pretty confident those are final specs. 

The only mystery is of course 4K crop or no crop. Canon never publish that kind of info.