Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless talk hots up

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, mercer said:

Are you sure about that? I thought the M 35mm is supposed to be a 1.4?

Yeah according to CR, the 35mm 1.8 is an RF lens.

1 hour ago, Inazuma said:

The rumored EF-M lens is supposed to be a 32mm f1.4

35 minutes ago, MdB said:

You’re thinking of the EF-M 32mm f/1.4. This lens as leaked is an IS Macro lens for the RF mount. 

I know. But I think sizes have been greatly exaggerated. 

Oh yeah my mistake. I remember seing the EF-M lens before and then looking at those pictures the 35mm looked like an EF-M lens.

8 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

Lol! Me too actually. Idk why I did it. I’m sorry haha

Gotta work that YouTube-algorithm tho amirite? Believe there's thumbnail-etiquette, videos need to be regular and 10mins+, shouty titles with ALLCAPS, exclamation marks and clickbait... ?

5 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I expect this to shoot 8k video with a 10x crop with DPAF only working on Tuesdays. 

That sounds more like the realm of expectation yeah... don't forget: no IBIS... no 10-bit, no 4K60p, no DPAF in 4K etc either.

I like this a LOT more than Nikon's Zeds.

I really hope it is a new low light sensor to match the EV -6 AF (A7s has probably got EV -5 AF while spec is EV -4 which does match sensor while the GX7 I had has EV -4 AF but not a camera I would shoot in low light).      This will hopefully be a good match.

It almost seems to me that Canon knew what Nikon was doing!     Nikon brings out a new mount and makes much of the fact it CAN have faster lenses and will have some down the track but Canon keeps its already large mount diameter the same (54mm one less than the Zeds) and starts with fast lenses from the start.

I would expect the adapters to be the best yet for using EF lenses adapted (M43 adapters have effectively native AF speed for AFS though not for AFC, Sony E mount has got better and is very good in SOME cases).      Pretty much the only difference is the flange distance and being Canon made, I can not see how they could be otherwise.

Adapter with a drop in filter is nice touch (have had a Fotga adapter that takes the glass from a 43mm filter with EF lenses for Sony that has been fun- so much nice to do it properly).

If my A7s is beyond repair on a cost basis, then (when I can afford it) my choices are getting better-

A) Another A7s (since I really love the camera), B) A used A7iii (maybe not quite as good at higher ISOs but better at everything else), Canon R  when in price range (though could not use my FF E mount lenses).

IF I had a lot of recent Nikon AF lenses, the Z6 when in price reach would be a contender but I don't and the Panasonic will not be in my mount choice I think and is likely a cinema camera anyway.

Too early to know yet but this looks very promising.      

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

50mm comparison.

50mm6.jpg

I know which one I'd choose for stills. That 50mm F1.2.

Not so sure about video... because if it's 1.74x crop that F1.2 look is lost entirely.

Canon have a great strength on the optics side. 28-70mm F2 is frankly amazing.

But their sensors are a laggard and their management are fucking idiots for letting the body specs drift along.

Nikon F1.8 to keep the size down is silly. These are not cheapo lenses.

Lastly, look at the video button placement. Tells you everything ;)

I just really hope they make the shutter lock closed when changing lenses. It seems impossible to change lenses in the field without eventually ruining a bunch of video with sensor dust. Always see it on peoples sony YT videos. That is my biggest concern for mirrorless. 

51 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

I just really hope they make the shutter lock closed when changing lenses. It seems impossible to change lenses in the field without eventually ruining a bunch of video with sensor dust. Always see it on peoples sony YT videos. That is my biggest concern for mirrorless. 

I don't see that ever happening on a mirrorless. Shutters are way too fragile to have a camera do that.

Here is a link with 4 views instead of just one of the new Canon Mirrorless EOS R.

https://***URL removed***/forums/post/61587610?image=0

11 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

My biggest complaint with th 6Dmkii is that its a fully articulated screen instead of a tilt, or Fujis Game Changing solution on the X-T100.

So 1 point to Nikon.

Personally I really prefer the articulated screen found on the 6DII and the GH5 (except to mount on some gimbal). Why do you prefer the tilted screen?

9 hours ago, Mokara said:

It has nothing to do with protecting anything. They do what the hardware will allow them to do. If you don't mind a pair of leafblowers attached to the side of the camera I am sure that they would happy to provide you with a higher spec product..

Magic lantern showed multiple times that the Canon cameras can do so much more and I'm not talking about some exotic features that freeze the camera. It's clearing crippling.

8 hours ago, ntblowz said:

I predict back single digit market share for Sony.

Let's wait for the final specs of the Canon system but no doubt that they will sell them by truck loads.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

But their sensors are a laggard and their management are fucking idiots for letting the body specs drift along.

Why would they bother since people continue to buy Canon?

I am always amazed how people could predict the future of the camera market share (always with only one maker surviving) with cameras that are not even launched yet. :)

About the Canon, great lenses line start, but don't forget that this will be an announcement - rumors said that will no be on market before mid-2019 (if this was not updated). 

Looks like a solid camera, but I'm in the camp that thinks 5D MKIV cropped 4k.

But only when all the cameras are on the field and the second batch of reviews were published (1st reviews nowadays are almost always "positive") we will now if these new FF cameras are all that we hope. Time to wait. 

So what‘s the deal with Mr Reids frustration/hate towards canon? 

As a passive reader of this blog and happy user of EOS HD C-log for some time now (although it reveals some really ugly artefacts in underexposed parts of a frame on my M50) I dont get this excessive negativity towards Canon. 

This new camera is already doomed because of a rumored MP-count similar to that of the 5DIV? Come on...

Why is it that bit depth, crop factor and fps are the mandatory specs for a camera created first and foremost for stills work? In a time when video content created with it will mostly be watched on 5-7 inch, 8bit smartphone screens. In a time when grading often just means putting a lut on your log-content...

Judging from the content of many Youtube-vloggers (even those reviewing camera tech) to me inferior focus pulling, bad audio quality and uninspired framing are more comon reasons for a not-so-nice result than a lack of slomo and shallow depth of field.

The first problem is best taken care with skills or DPAF, for the second none of the current and expected MILCs provide a viable in camera solution and for the third there is no technical solution at all... 

I dont understand why the bit depth and crop factor are rated so much higher on the specs sheet than for example AF capabilities and color science. The effect of the last two factors is way more perceptible.  For me ihat is a reason to rate those factors higher and so from my POV canon is not doomed...

To each it‘s own, I think. But seriously: how often do you watch a video on youtube and think „This could have been a great video but it lacks those 4k60p shots.“?

cheers

I have toyed with buying this on launch day with the 28-70 F/2.  But this site brought me back to reality - it is probably the same sensor in the 5dIV.  Probably 1.74x crop 4k, no 4k60, No C-LOG.

Have to force myself to be patient.  The appeal of Canon colors, EVF, fully articulated screen and 28-70 F/2 is very strong, but too many times I've been disappointed recently with Canon (No C-Log on the 1dxII, 5dIV video codec and crop, 6dII was a joke, etc.

Hope to eat my words in a week.  Doubt I will.

Some mock size comparisons from Canon Rumors. Assuming this is close, the 24-105 looks to be only slightly shorter than the current DSLR version, no surprise there. The version with the cameras side-by-side isn't an accurate size representation if both lenses share the same 77mm filter size. There's also an image with the 28-70 compared to the 24-105.

Chris

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 4.08.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 4.08.58 PM.png

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

CR1 rumor... no mention of crop. 
For sure if it has 10 bit external, no crop, IBIS, CLOG and DPAF then it will be a better buy than the Z6 for video. For stills I think the Z6 Sony sensor will be way better as usual. 
Then again that's a lot of if. And even then the A7SIII / GH5 FF will probably kill it. 
FHD 60p and not 120p is such a shame though...