Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless talk hots up

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
45 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

Time to ditch my M50 and A7III (before used price crash) to get this along and Panasonic FF

Sony reigning days as FF mirrorless are truly over.

I predict back single digit market share for Sony.

Game over Sony - and the rest of em. Just game over! I'd ditch all your cameras and be done with it - it's just so game over alround......

45 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

The lenses are super interesting, if they are as sharp as nikons (which I doubt since they are so small, they look more like the classic approach, sharp in center, dark corners), canon will be n1 by a large margin.

Hahaha yeah yeah Nikon will have better lenses lol. 

Mom another note, that 28-70mm f/2L is almost exactly the same size as the 24-105mm L II. So 77mm filter thread. The 28-70 is just a bit narrower near the mount. 

So everyone thinking it is huge - no :)

2 minutes ago, MdB said:

Hahaha yeah yeah Nikon will have better lenses lol. 

Mom another note, that 28-70mm f/2L is almost exactly the same size as the 24-105mm L II. So 77mm filter thread. The 28-70 is just a bit narrower near the mount. 

So everyone thinking it is huge - no :)

I understand you're excited, but physics is a bitch. 

Based on the spec and lenses a few things stand out.

-6ev AF -- this completely blows every other mirrorless out of the water in terms of lowlight AF, which is always the drawback of mirrorless vs. DSLR

They're doing a 24-105 and 35/1.8 early on. Sony users spent years asking for both, and so far they've only made one.

That 28-70 is going to be a big chunk of glass, but if its sharp that could be a 'bag of primes' type lens. 

The large grip and fully articulating screen. Lots are split on this, but I like both (though I would prefer a more Fuji-like solution for the LCD). Like Nikon they're looking to make it easy for their massive user base to add a mirrorless body to their kit.

My guess is we'll see the rest of the zoom trinity (16-35, 70-200 2.8's) by the end of next year along with another body with whatever sensor the next 5dsr gets (some rumors have it at 60mp).

All in all, good times. Just like with the Nikon, I'll rent as soon as its available. Until my switch to all mirrorless a few years ago I was a long time Canon shooter. This could bring me back into the fold once the trinity is out.

Chris

1 hour ago, Eric Calabros said:

I understand you're excited, but physics is a bitch. 

What physics? Oh right, you don’t understand them you’re just throwing throw away comments around like it’s a real thing with substance and meaning. 

I overlayed the reference images and yes, it’s about almost exactly the size of the 24-105mm f/4 L II, 77mm filter thread and all. 

New 24-105L RF looks like it has 62mm filter thread. 

54 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

The fact that some lenses have IS is very poor news for potential IBIS. 

Sony has IBIS and has IS lenses. Panasonic has IBIS and IS lenses. Fujifilm has IBIS and IS lenses. Nikon uses both VR and IBIS on the Zeeeee. 

No way Canon will release a 24-105mm f/4 and have no form of IS for it. 

43 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

28-70 is going to be a big chunk of glass, but if its sharp that could be a 'bag of primes' type lens. 

It’s the size of the ‘old’ 24-105 L II. Probably weighs more, but hardly massive. That also happens to put it around the size of Sony’s GM 24-70. 

44 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

by the end of next year along with another body with whatever sensor the next 5dsr gets (some rumors have it at 60mp).

5DS had an upscaled 7D II sensor. 60MP is basically a FF version of the 24MP in the M50. 

45 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

All in all, good times. Just like with the Nikon, I'll rent as soon as its available. Until my switch to all mirrorless a few years ago I was a long time Canon shooter. This could bring me back into the fold once the trinity is out.

I recently went all-in on Canon after playing with lots of systems out there. This one makes me excited. 

I was all set with a plan and then this rumor pops up. I can’t wait to hear the video specs, to know for sure about which way to proceed. I wanted an EF Mount but damn these lenses look amazing. That 28-70mm f/2 is a dream lens. And since the 35mm is the only one without the red ring, Canon is going big with L lenses right out the gate. 

Btw, I’m hoping the R stands for Raw (as in video) Even 1080p RawLite would be an amazing video move for Canon. I think I might sell my 5D3 for that.... I know it won’t happen but until the specs come out... I can dream. Lol. 

• Super Members

The R stands for Rebel as it will be a continuation of their consumer DSLR line rather than a pro model and will also have inferior AF to other brands* so that Sony fans can sing "Rebel, Rebel..Your face detect is a mess" 

* Absolutely not true

54 minutes ago, MdB said:

It’s the size of the ‘old’ 24-105 L II. Probably weighs more, but hardly massive. That also happens to put it around the size of Sony’s GM 24-70. 

The GM isn't a small lens, but that's ok with me if the IQ is great. My FE 28/2 gets a lot of use. And I always have a 24-70 and 85/1.8. One lens that potentially covers most of that makes my life as a travel shooter lot easier. But a f/2 zoom with -6ev AF, that sounds like a great walk around kit. I could carry the 28-70, a UWA and the 50 for everything but wildlife, and obviously Canon has plenty of glass to cover those needs. We already know Canon's touchscreen will be better than most of the competition. Lots to like there.

What a crazy few weeks this is shaping up to be, I can't remember a time where so many huge announcements were made.

Chris

1 hour ago, mercer said:

I was all set with a plan and then this rumor pops up. I can’t wait to hear the video specs, to know for sure about which way to proceed. I wanted an EF Mount but damn these lenses look amazing. That 28-70mm f/2 is a dream lens. And since the 35mm is the only one without the red ring, Canon is going big with L lenses right out the gate. 

Btw, I’m hoping the R stands for Raw (as in video) Even 1080p RawLite would be an amazing video move for Canon. I think I might sell my 5D3 for that.... I know it won’t happen but until the specs come out... I can dream. Lol. 

The 35mm f1.8 is an EF-M lens for the existing aps-c mirrorless, so in fact all the RF lenses are L lenses.  The lenses are appealing in their specs as well.  They are actually the most appealing aspect.

1 minute ago, MattH said:

The 35mm f1.8 is an EF-M lens for the existing aps-c mirrorless, so in fact all the RF lenses are L lenses.  The lenses are appealing in their specs as well.  They are actually the most appealing aspect.

Are you sure about that? I thought the M 35mm is supposed to be a 1.4?

Yeah according to CR, the 35mm 1.8 is an RF lens.

29 minutes ago, MattH said:

You’re thinking of the EF-M 32mm f/1.4. This lens as leaked is an IS Macro lens for the RF mount. 

1 hour ago, Trek of Joy said:

The GM isn't a small lens, but that's ok with me if the IQ is great

I know. But I think sizes have been greatly exaggerated.