Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless talk hots up

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 minutes ago, Django said:

More like the Super35 mode in 1DC. Actual Super35 not 1.74x crop. And of course FF. For both 4K & 1080p. 

The difference between the (more like 1.64x) crop and S35 is pretty negligible. If you want 1:1 readout, that’s the crop. The 24MP gives about 10MP (3:2) in 1.5x crop, about perfect for 1:1 UHD. The 30MP is about 12MP at 1.5x crop from memory. Thus the slight extra crop. 

• Super Members
2 minutes ago, Django said:

Actually I'm feeling the ergonomics a lot more on the Z6: joystick, tilt screen, ISO button, 2 front FN buttons, Mode dial with U1/U2/U3.

No dedicated AF-S/AF-C switch on either.

I agree completely on ergonomics, but until I've held them its of course just my suspicion.

I never go out of AF-S and hopefully most lenses would let me switch to MF on the barrel.

I like what I'm seeing... a lot! 

The only things I am worried about is IBIS and the 4K crop. Looking at Canons other DSLRs and them 'wanting to protect their cinema line', I am sure there will be some bs restrictions on it. 

And maybe the price. If it's around $2k, I'll probably get it I think.

• Super Members
38 minutes ago, Django said:

@Mattias Burling Never going out of AF-S means not taking advantage of Dual Pixel tracking though no?

Yes it does, it switches to it automatically when going into live mode, if I want to. 

But usually I have it in single when using DPAF as well. And in liveview its faster to turn on tracking with the screen or the button than it would with a switch.

21 minutes ago, Django said:

They got SO much flack for that crop factor on 5D4,  wouldn't be wise doing that again knowing what they're up against. then again it's Canon..lol

I think that is part of the problem though. The specs, on paper, look really great as does their lens choices. It looks like - assuming a US$2k price - it will make a major dent in A7iii sales and in Nikon's mirrorless aspirations. The problem is, it will also affect Canon 5D mkiv sales (and 6Dii even more) and I am not sure Canon's bean counters will stand for that. So I suspect there will be a lot of crippling....

12 minutes ago, Django said:

I agree. I think Canon are going to protect their pro DSLR line (as Nikon) and are going to continue to protect their C-line.

This probably means single card slot, 4K crop, 8-bit etc.

It's Canon.  Something has to be wrong about the video.   It would be a miracle if its full sensor width non croped 4k.  Forget 10 bit thats a joke. C-log if you're lucky.  My guess is exactly what you said.

It has nothing to do with protecting anything. They do what the hardware will allow them to do. If you don't mind a pair of leafblowers attached to the side of the camera I am sure that they would happy to provide you with a higher spec product.

I am guessing that this camera will have a Digic 8 and consequently will have the same limitations that all other Digic 8/DV6 cameras have. The M50 is probably a reasonable approximation for the sort of video this camera will produce, the main difference is that this one will be able to take FF stills.