Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless talk hots up

Andrew Reid

40 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Hey, remember when everyone said Canon was too late to the game and they couldn't bring a mirrorless that could compete? 

28-70/2, 50/1.2, 35/1.8 and a EF adapter with a drop in filter slot? All that's missing for me is a UWA zoom and a 70-200. And they're even brining a 400/2.8 and 600/4 for the wildlife/sports shooters.

Damn.

Chris

Lol. Wait for crop, codec and video specs before yelling victory. 

For video unfortunately the A7SIII will be much better with 4K60p but we will all be sad not to have DPAF and this canon body and colors. It’s always the same story. It never changes. 

Want spec go to Sony, want ergonomics usability and stuff go to Canikon.  Want both wait, and keep waiting.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

For video unfortunately the A7SIII will be much better with 4K60p but we will all be sad not to have DPAF and this canon body and colors. It’s always the same story. It never changes. 

Want spec go to Sony, want ergonomics usability and stuff go to Canikon.  Want both wait, and keep waiting.

True! But at some point, even the low end specs are good enough, a point which we hit a year or two ago for me (and probably many others). Some people really need/want 4k60p, but I'm happy with good quality HD, so ergonomics and usability are a real deciding factor these days. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Canon does, and let's be honest, I'm just as excited to see what the A7S3 is like.

43 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Haven't seen anything about 4k frame rates so who knows, you might be getting ahead of yourself. 

5 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

Haven't seen anything about 4k frame rates so who knows, you might be getting ahead of yourself. 

True. Everyone has been going off rumoured specs, but they were clearly wrong in most ways. 

Also so really looking forward to the new compressed RAWs and JPEG engine of Digic 8. These are actually way better on the M50 than the 5D IV. So it will be nice to see those improvements in an ethicists model. New codec is heaps better too. 

2 hours ago, wolf33d said:

sony colors is no bad at all,now it is more canon like, here is a image taken by A9  compare with a image taken by 1DX2, can you see the  difference?

a2.thumb.jpg.33b1bad44f41cd9d9f278711ac303edb.jpg

I’m getting mixed feelings from this one.

Looks like the 5D IV sensor slapped on 6D2 rear controls: no joystick, flip out screen.. and is that a d-pad instead of wheel? Those 3 things really irk me personally.

Top is ok, there is a lock  but no dedicated ISO/WB buttons. Mode button instead of a dial. Only one function button..? OLED display looks good.

No mention of IBIS and the 35mm has IS.. this has got me worried.

On the plus side, -6EV DPAF & 4K, ND adapter and strong lens line-up. 

If they don’t mess up the 4K (full readout, no crop, strong codec, improved RS) and include C-Log that could be just barely enough to get my money..

• Super Members

I wasn't paying much attention to the Z6. It looked fantastic, epic really, so I figured people would love it and there would be plenty of reviews that could help me form an opinion without buying it. That took a turn :)

So I was planning on buying one. But the lens lineup of this thing looks so tasty. And I already have a nice set of affordable EF primes... 

Luckily none of them are available for quite some time and I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my 6Dmkii. So I can keep my mind off it until this winter. Can't see any reason to replace it my DSLR as of now. And since I'm predominantly a Sony/Fuji shooter Im surprised of the really nice feeling when working with a Canon again, which speak for the EOS-R.

1 minute ago, Mattias Burling said:

I wasn't paying much attention to the Z6. It looked fantastic, epic really, so I figured people would love it and their would be plenty of reviews that could help me form an opinion without buying it. That took a turn :)

So I was planning on buying one. But the lens lineup of this thing looks so tasty. And I already have a nice set of affordable EF primes... 

Luckily none of them are available for quite some time and I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my 6Dmkii. Can't see any reason to replace it as of now. But as a predominantly Sony/Fuji shooter it has felt really nice to try a Canon again, which speak for the EOS-R.

Panasonic:wait ,I am going FF too;) 

• Super Members
1 minute ago, gelaxstudio said:

Panasonic:wait ,I am going FF too;) 

Probably a cinema camera.

But, if it is indeed a Leica SL clone as some have guessed. Which would mean cheap Panasonic SL glass... then Canikon, Fuji and Panasony mirrorless cameras can suck it. I would bag a used SL ;)

37 minutes ago, Django said:

Hopefully there is a Super35 full readout mode in addition to pixel binned FF (a la Z7) wishful thinking I know..

You mean like the 30MP sensor already does in the 5D IV? 

17 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Probably a cinema camera.

But, if it is indeed a Leica SL clone as some have guessed. Which would mean cheap Panasonic SL glass... then Canikon, Fuji and Panasony mirrorless cameras can suck it. I would bag a used SL ;)

Me too. Nearly bought one this week already. Needs lenses from third parties though. Panasonic using the same mount would be amazing. 

5 minutes ago, Django said:

More like the Super35 mode in 1DC. Actual Super35 not 1.74x crop. And of course FF. For both 4K & 1080p. 

The difference between the (more like 1.64x) crop and S35 is pretty negligible. If you want 1:1 readout, that’s the crop. The 24MP gives about 10MP (3:2) in 1.5x crop, about perfect for 1:1 UHD. The 30MP is about 12MP at 1.5x crop from memory. Thus the slight extra crop. 

I think the fact they have included a pl adaptor pretty well expresses their intentions with respect to video. It is about as good an indication that this thing will have good 4k and some form of log profile. They wouldnt sell a pl adaptor if they didn't think the camera would be of significant interest to videographers. Notwithstanding canons history I think there is some reason to be hopeful with this release. Truth be told the flippy screen alone guarantees this thing will sell well. 

• Super Members
7 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

I think the fact they have included a pl adaptor pretty well expresses their intentions with respect to video.

I can't see any of the latest specs mentioning anything about a PL-adapter? Do you have a reliable source?

"Mount adapter: “Mount adapter EF – EOS R” “Control ring mount adapter EF – EOS R” “Drop – in filter mount adapter EF – EOS R”"

The control ring adapter was code named "M.ADAP R PL". My guess is it was bad interpretation, I'm assuming that adapter will allow smooth aperture control via the ring for EF lenses.

In any case, both that adapter & the ND one especially seem to indicate Canon are aiming this at the serious videographer. :)

edit: just noticed the dual (focus?) rings on all the R lenses, now that's also pretty interesting!

edit 2: could that rocker switch be for motorized zoom pulls?

canon_11.jpg